It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:40 pm

June 28, 2010: "Fandamonium" 
Site Admin

Post June 28, 2010: "Fandamonium"
Click here to read topic.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:46 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: June 28, 2010: "Fandamonium"
I remember being obsessed with Dragonball Z, Harry Potter, Power Rangers and Wrestling. Not at the same time mind you but that's where my fan powers were at the highest.

Sometimes, I miss those days.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:31 pm
I too miss the association of fandom. Who knows if I'll ever get the Arrested Development movie I've been waiting 4 years for.

James Berardinelli wrote:
Star Wars, in addition to being a merchandise king, added five more movies and a few TV shows.

Six movies if you count the animated "Star Wars: The Clone Wars."

Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:02 pm
Meh, being obsessed with franchises in film or any other medium is something I now feel is only for suckers or those who need to find more meaning in their lives. I just feel it's best to be wary until a film is *proven* to be of high quality, else expectations will be built up that may never be met.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:34 pm
The secret word for today is "rejiggered."

Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:37 pm
Gaffer

I remember being an obsessed STAR TREK fan back in the 1980's. I'm not obsessed about it anymore, but I was truly excited in the weeks leading up to the new film.

As a former obsessed STAR TREK fan I don't think that saturation was the only factor in the franchise's near demise. I should point out that the newer shows and movies departed so much from the original concept that they are almost unrecognizable when compared to the original series or even THE NEXT GENERATION. STAR TREK left its roots and fans departed in droves.

Another show that has an obsessive fan base right now is CHUCK. I should know, I'm one of those obsessed fans.
When a third season was in doubt, CHUCK fans rallied like the STAR TREK fans did in the 1960's.
The Subway franchise has been featured often in the show and it became the focal point of a massive campaign to the save the series.
Fans bought Subway sandwiches on a predetermined day to send a message to NBC (of all the ironies), the network that carries the series.

TWILIGHT and SEX IN THE CITY fans get more press coverage because of the movies (and the enormous female population in each fan base).
But the CHUCK fan base is just as big and probably more rabid.

Now if you will pardon me, I have to eat this tuna-pepperoni Subway sandwich.
Just like they eat on the show.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:22 am
Dave P. wrote:
Six movies if you count the animated "Star Wars: The Clone Wars."

Which we shouldn't.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:07 am
Well, you posted this Reelthought just in time for the latest Harry Potter trailer, which makes me feel the obsessed fan insides me hasn't died yet. Will be counting the day until it comes out.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:24 am
Here's the difference, though. Star Wars, Star Trek, and Harry Potter are liked and appreciated by more than just the hardcore fans.

Twilight and SATC, on the other hand, has ZERO crossover appeal. It has ONE target audience and relies exclusively on it for business. That's why they will never be as big as the aforementioned franchises.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:59 am
Director

I try to avoid being too hardcore of a fan of anything. It only leads to disappointment.

I hate Twilight. Now, because of a faggy vampire novel, a bunch of teenagers are all acting like they're goth. Goth used to mean something - hating everyone and everything, avoiding the sunlight, writing awful poetry, cutting yourself for fun. Now it's all just as commercial as everything else.

I don't dress like that now - I'm much older - but I still listen to The Cure, Joy Division, the Sisters of Mercy, etc. It just sucks to see your culture bogarted.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:26 am
Twilight seems more like an Emo thing then a Goth thing to me.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:02 pm
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
I hate Twilight. Now, because of a faggy vampire novel, a bunch of teenagers are all acting like they're goth. Goth used to mean something - hating everyone and everything, avoiding the sunlight, writing awful poetry, cutting yourself for fun. Now it's all just as commercial as everything else.
Twilight didn't cause this. In fact, it's a trend that long predates Twilight.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:20 pm
Second Unit Director

James Berardinelli wrote:
The idea of being a "fan" of something entered the public awareness via sports, and stretches back a couple of centuries.

Actually, obsessive fandom is an ancient practice, going back a long time. For example, in the early Byzantine Empire, fans of different chariot racing teams (the Greens and the Blues) would often come to blows, commonly resulting in deaths and riots. One such riot caused the death of several thousand people in Constantinople. Hopefully, the Star Trek/Star Wars fanboy feuds will never get that bad.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:27 pm
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
I try to avoid being too hardcore of a fan of anything. It only leads to disappointment.

I don't dress like that now - I'm much older - but I still listen to The Cure, Joy Division, the Sisters of Mercy, etc. It just sucks to see your culture bogarted.

Do you watch South Park? There was an episode called The Ungroundable [wikipedia.org] that dealt with this very issue. Basically, the Goths were quite upset they were being confused with "Vampire Kids" who shopped at Hot Topic.

Like all South Park episodes you can watch the entire thing online for free:

http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/210813

Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:01 pm
Director

Ken wrote:
Twilight didn't cause this. In fact, it's a trend that long predates Twilight.

It's the first I've ever really taken notice of it. Sure, lots of people got into The Cure after "Friday i'm In Love," and Marilyn Manson was popular for a while, but guys like Manson were hard to truly commercialize.

As for Emo? I viewed it as a development of Goth style - Goth led to Emo, and someone was bound to cash in sooner or later. Then again, I'm not part of that "scene" anymore. I've got a job, responsibilities and stuff. So if I display any ignorance on Emo matters, I hope I can be excused.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:07 pm
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
It's the first I've ever really taken notice of it. Sure, lots of people got into The Cure after "Friday i'm In Love," and Marilyn Manson was popular for a while, but guys like Manson were hard to truly commercialize.

I would have that the general public got in The Cure with "Lovesong".

Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:17 pm
Director

Patrick wrote:

It was a great song, and a big hit. But I remember reading an interview with Robert Smith where he said that he really detested all the people who just liked The Cure for "Friday I'm In Love," since he felt the song didn't give a total picture of the band's style. I remember him saying "All of those people aren't real fans of The Cure."

Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:56 pm
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Patrick wrote:

It was a great song, and a big hit. But I remember reading an interview with Robert Smith where he said that he really detested all the people who just liked The Cure for "Friday I'm In Love," since he felt the song didn't give a total picture of the band's style. I remember him saying "All of those people aren't real fans of The Cure."

It's funny when a musician creates a song that appeals to a different audience, then derides them for liking that song. Personally, the only song by them that I really liked was the one they contributed to the soundtrack for The Crow, but I guess Smith wasn't really aiming at that segment of the population either, right?

Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:12 pm
You can come up with lots of good anagrams for "Sexual Chocolate". Actual Lox Echoes is one such example. Excel a Holocaust? Probably shouldn't.

As I've gotten older (now a sputtering, far-sighted 30 years old) I've seen whatever fandom I've had for all media drop away. I was excited about the Toy Story franchise but never really had to be there opening day. I used to listen to This American Life at the earliest possible broadcast time but the availability of mp3s has eliminated the rush. There was the excitement of a new Blur CD coming out -- especially in 1999 -- that had me at a midnight release but that's something 10 years past. Now it could be weeks or months before I hear a new album I am excited about (the latest was The Flaming Lips "Embryoninc" -- a release by a "favorite" band of mine that I haven't had the interest to work through some months after the release).

Aside from live concerts... nothing, no fire to get anywhere ASAP.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:31 pm
James is, unfortunately, right about season 3 of Star Trek. And I think most Star Trek fans would agree. I'm a big Trekkie/Trekker myself, but season 3 has many more bad episodes than seasons 1 and 2.

I have never understood the Star Trek vs. Star Wars conflict either. I grew up on both, and appreciated both equally.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:16 pm