Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:09 pm

June 15, 2010: "When the Extraordinary Becomes Ordinary" 
Post Re: June 15, 2010: "When the Extraordinary Becomes Ordinary"
Now that Peter Jackson is probably directing The Hobbit films, those will be incredibly anticipated by many, myself included.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:43 pm
spencerworth34 wrote:
Now that Peter Jackson is probably directing The Hobbit films, those will be incredibly anticipated by many, myself included.

Hells yeah!!!! I mean, I think that Guillermo Del Toro would've also done a good job but considering the exceptional justice that Jackson did to the Lord of the Rings trilogy, it's a wonder that he wasn't pegged for the job from the get-go.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:40 pm
Vexer wrote:
Personally i'm not really that big of a Star Wars fan, I mean I like the films but I definitely wouldn't call them masterpieces. Now to answer your question, yes I still do find going to the theater to be a unique experience(though there are some films that I see more as a means of killing time, like Killers, Date Night, and THe Bounty Hunter, though I usually end up enjoying the film anyways so that's not a bad thing), I see films in theaters because I WANT to see them that way, not because it's a "habit" There is always the option of using one of the many movie streaming sites that allow you to watch the latest films online for free, that's one thing i'm surprised you didn't discuss, though that's something I rarely do as somehow it takes away from the experience for watching a film in a theater(I only once watched a film online on one of those sites this year, the film being Repo Men and I only did that because the film was gone from every theater near me before I had a chance to see it, and I didn't like waiting 5 months for the DVD) I'm genuinely excited about seeing the films you mentioned this year(though with Toy Story 3 i'll probably end up waiting til DVD, mainly because i'd prefer not to see it in 3-D and also to avoid the likelyhood a theater full of screaming kids) Inception is the only film this summer i'm not sure about it, and that's mainly becuase I find Christopher Nolan to be a somewhat overrated director(I didn't care ofr Memento at all and while I did love Dark Knight, I wouldn't exactly call it a masterpiece), so just having a film with Nolan's name on it isn't enough to completely sell me on it(don't get me wrong the premise does sound exciting, but I still cna't hlep but be wary of the film) Also your comments about the celebrities peronsal lives or whether their "relevant" is sort of odd, I mean are people REALLY going to avoid seeing a film just because of a certain actors or actresses public image? I certianly won't, i'm glad to see Jolie and Cruise doing action again, I don't give a rat's ass about their image and I highly doubt it will make a big difference in ticket sales(Cruise is even slated to star in a fourth Mission Impossible film, so apparently his public antics weren't nearly as much of a setback as everyone thought they were) Also 3 other summer films i'm excited to see that you didn't mention are Middle Men, Takers, and The Other Guys. I actually think of the BEST summers for moviegoing so far(though Jonah Hex isn't really catching my attention, Megan Fox alone isn't enough to get me to see it)

Honestly not sure what to make of tis post. I think you could call the first star wars a masterpiece easily given the proper context. but the interesting thing to me is to say that Nolan is overrated. Couldnt disagree more. I cant think of any other director that has come out of the gate so strongly and delivered several REALLY good movies that offer something different that whats out there. if anything he is underrated.

Oh and if you think the publics perception of an individiual or couple doesnt afffecct box office, check out Gigli.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:10 am
Yeah well not EVERYONE likes Nolan ya know, I can see why people like him but I just don't worship him like a god like most people do, and I actually I think Gigli failed because it was badly marketed. I don't think it had much of ANYTHING to do with Bennifer-the trailer was very misleading in that it made the film look like a generic rom-com rather then a black comedy, and those that saw Gigli and expected a rom-com were in for a nasty surprise, i'm sure that most of the couples that actually saw that film didn't want to see stuff like
[Reveal] Spoiler:
someone getting his brain's blown off into a fish tank and see a close-up of the fish eating pieces of the guy's brains
and once people knew what the film was REALLY about, they avoided it like the plague. Then again i'm not even sure proper marketing or different actors and actresses would've made Gigli successful as it's was very different from most other films that came out back in 2003, likely a little too "different" to appeal to most of the general moviegoers, or at least that's how I see it.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:21 pm
For all the money Christopher Nolan's movies have made and for all the respect he gets as a director, he doesn't seem to have much visual storytelling ability. He's a strong judge of story, but his other capabilities don't seem to rise above those of today's typical action directors. Ironically, the young George Lucas was much more of a master at this stage of his career.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:31 pm
Ken wrote:
For all the money Christopher Nolan's movies have made and for all the respect he gets as a director, he doesn't seem to have much visual storytelling ability. He's a strong judge of story, but his other capabilities don't seem to rise above those of today's typical action directors. Ironically, the young George Lucas was much more of a master at this stage of his career.

Ken's articulated this thought elsewhere on the forum (at least I'm pretty sure he has), and it's still a good point. I think both Memento and Insomnia have pretty strong visuals, but if we're talking strictly action (read: Batman movies), his visual style isn't anything particularly different than what's in other action flicks. I think Nolan can tell a good visual story, but his bigger budget projects don't seem to be interested in that. Still, I very much enjoy both of his Batman movies.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:38 pm
Ken wrote:

i guess we will see when inception comes out. it looks like there is a lot going on there. I know for me it probably the only movie i am really anticipating this summer.

Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:48 am
There's very few legitimate reasons to criticise Nolan's work. My only real gripes with his Batman franchise are both with The Dark Knight, one being the casting choice for Rachel Dawes (Maggie Gyllenhaal looking a good decade or so older than Katie Holmes) and the noticeable lack of Batman in a two hour plus 'Batman' movie.

Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:18 pm
Dragonbeard wrote:
There's very few legitimate reasons to criticise Nolan's work. My only real gripes with his Batman franchise are both with The Dark Knight, one being the casting choice for Rachel Dawes (Maggie Gyllenhaal looking a good decade or so older than Katie Holmes) and the noticeable lack of Batman in a two hour plus 'Batman' movie.

Oh really? You didn't have a problem with the
[Reveal] Spoiler:
incredibly lame and contrived Deus Ex Machina scene where Bruce creates that machine which lets him see where EVERYONE in the universe is at all times? :roll: That scene was just dumb and asinine on so many levels and it completely undermined the realistic vibe that the rest of the film had, all that scene did was remind that I was watching a comic-book film, couldn't Nolan have come up with something more plausible and less contrived?

Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:38 pm
Vexer wrote:
Dragonbeard wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
incredibly lame and contrived Deus Ex Machina scene where Bruce creates that machine which lets him see where EVERYONE in the universe is at all times? :roll: That scene was just dumb and asinine on so many levels and it completely undermined the realistic vibe that the rest of the film had, all that scene did was remind that I was watching a comic-book film, couldn't Nolan have come up with something more plausible and less contrived?

Wasnt it through cell phones? It wasnt just like magic.

Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:45 pm
spencerworth34 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Dragonbeard wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Wasnt it through cell phones? It wasnt just like magic.

Oh I must've missed that detail, but it's still an awfully contrived and unnecessary scene that feels like it was thrown in at the very last minute.

Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:00 pm
First: The Dark Knight, though great, wasn't perfect.

And whatever happened to suspension of disbelief? The cell phone arrangement wasn't troubling because it fit the theme of "ethics vs. shmethics" the rest of the movie spent 120 movies building a narrative around. It may have been unrealistic but it's all too easy to forget that The Dark Knight is about a mentally unsound man running around dressed as a giant bat while beating the shit out of low-rent hoods. I'd say the cell phone sonar fit pretty well.

Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:04 pm
The Dark Knight's biggest problem is that it's a compelling story, told very poorly. Like any modern action movie, it's hard to tell what's going on, especially when the action starts ramping up. The main characters are all afflicted with expositional dialogue disease. And, as Vexer pointed out, there are certain contrivances in the movie that push our suspension of disbelief--a legitimate concern, even in a movie about a man dressed like a nocturnal, echo-locating mammal.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:35 pm
Vexer wrote:
Dragonbeard wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I'd have had a serious problem with it, had the technology caused the automated tracking down, trapping and incarceration
of Joker and his men. As it happened, it merely gave Batman a rough pathway along which he still had to take a very tough and skilful walk. Had he been a lesser man in terms of his fitness and skill, he would have failed.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:13 pm
Ken wrote:
The Dark Knight's biggest problem is that it's a compelling story, told very poorly. Like any modern action movie, it's hard to tell what's going on, especially when the action starts ramping up. The main characters are all afflicted with expositional dialogue disease. And, as Vexer pointed out, there are certain contrivances in the movie that push our suspension of disbelief--a legitimate concern, even in a movie about a man dressed like a nocturnal, echo-locating mammal.

The Dark Knight's telling was congruent with modern slam-band, messily edited blockbuster telling. Since the story was an improvement over other blockbusters I gave it the benefit of the doubt but there is nothing to suggest that it couldn't have been told better. It ranked as a great example of major blockbuster film and my championing of it ends there. There have been better superhero movies and there will no doubt be worse ones.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:59 pm
Quote:
When was the last time you counted down the days to the opening of a movie? How long since you woke up on an opening day with a slightly elevated heart rate? Has the anticipation of seeing anything in 2010 made a day seem more alive?

This year, with Inception.

Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:14 am