Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:54 am

The Workout Thread 
Post The Workout Thread
Ok, I am fourteen years old, a freshman in High School, and I am trying out for the baseball team. I have worked out a little bit here and there before, but that usually consists of 30 minutes on the elliptical, and some light lifting. I want to get stronger, and even slimmer. Right now, i am 5 foot 7, and 140 pounds- chubby, but not fat... I just want to get rid of some stomach flab, and I want to get bigger arms.

I know that a movie forum probably isn't filled with the most workout centric people, but I was wondering if anyone could give me a good daily routine, with some nutrition or anything like that? It would be appreciated...

Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:25 pm
Post Re: The Workout Thread
I use the Total Gym myself and it works for me but I'm not too keen on nutrition.

Would you mind sharing what you eat?

Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:04 pm
Personally I have found cycling the best exercise for me for both cardio fitness and fat burning. If you want to burn fat, I have found doing intensity exercises the best as soon as I wake up.

The basic routine takes 20 minutes and involves you changing the rate you pedal (i.e. intensity) after every minute. Intensity can be ranked from 1 to 10 with 10 being 100% of your maximum effort, 5 is 50% and so on.
Note: Any exercise where you can vary the intensity (i.e. jogging, rowing etc) is fine for this, you don't have to cycle.
Here is a breakdown:
(min - intensity level)
1 - 5
2 - 5
3 - 6
4 - 7
5 - 8
6 - 9
7 - 5
8 - 6
9 - 7
10 - 8
11 - 9
12 - 5
13 - 6
14 - 7
15 - 8
16 - 9
17 - 10
18 - 10
19 - 5
20 - 5

Once you finish, do not eat for the next hour (but drink as much as you like). This is because your metabolism is sped up due to the elevated heart rate and your body will burn more fat during this hour. If you eat, you will greatly hinder this process as your body will use the food you eat for energy rather than the fat on your body.
You can do this anytime, but apparently morning is best. You only really need to do this 3 times a week.

I am not an expert but this routine works for me. Diet wise? Eat six smaller meals a day rather than 3 big ones and try to minimise your carbs in the evening.

Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:49 am
I run on the treadmill-fortunately for me, the one I got 6 years ago just works you VERY hard...and I put the speed at 5-6 miles/hr! When I was at the gym in college using these SAME speeds, it felt MUCH slower.

So yeah-you may want to look for treadmills that work you to death!

Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:23 am
running, cycling whatever you like. and that stomach flab, sit ups. the routine that the liverpool dude, gave, looks excellent. i do something similar. i just wanted to add - don't do much lifting. you're 14. so, dont start bench pressing. if you want to, then very light lifting, just enough to work the muscles, dont strain/build them.

eating - here's what i did. go mostly vegetarian, never fry. always about what you eat rather than how much. at least thats what my trainer says.

and yeah, it would be way better to actually go to the gym and talk to a trainer. he can give you a much better opinion.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:48 am
Well, alot depends on A.) what you eat, B.) how much of it you eat (3 meals a day is a great goal), and C.) how quickly you eat it. Eating your meal slowly does wonders for your metabolism. I went from 285 lbs. to 159 lbs. by doing much of this. It's as simple as changing the sheets on your bed. Out with the old, in with the new. Do NOT fit food in after hours, and try to maintain a strong sleep schedule which allows for a good 6-8 hours so that your body can burn some of the fat while you sleep.

Also, the most effective way to cut out the torso area fat-wise is with bicycle crunches, which you should start very slowly. I'd say do 20-30 on the first try, and then gradually add 10 to that each time you do them (which should be for every meal have during the day). Walking is also extremely underrated, although I find it's more effective to start with a long high-sustained run from a reasonably set distance. Walking for a good mile (or few miles) is great for you on so many different levels, not to mention the amount of head-clearing it does :D

Hope I was helpful.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:38 am
I tend to eat something high in protein after a workout. Eggs, baked beans, bananas or toast is great. Buy a set of dumbbells (about $20) and work up slowly. Start by doing 5 exercises of 5 sets a day for a week, then increase to 10 and so on. After 6 weeks, you should notice a difference, then I would buy a heavier set of weights.

Doing exercises like press ups, crunches and dorsal raises are excellent as well. Again, start small and build up. Good luck!

Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:00 am