Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:30 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
June 11, 2010: "Welcome, Michael" 
Post Re: June 11, 2010: "Welcome, Michael"
I really can't think of anything original to say, because it's all probably been phrased in many different ways by the other readers, so let me just say congratulations to you and Sheryl! Michael's a beautiful boy and I'm sure he will bring both of you much joy throughout the years. I'm very happy for you!!! :D

Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:07 am
The Reelthoughts that I like the most are the ones like these, the personal ones. The "1980's" series and the "My Life as a Geek" Reelthoughts are a good read too.

Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:54 am
James Berardinelli wrote:
5wivesofbergman wrote:
Apart from the usual congratulations, let me offer an extra one with regard to the middle name: it's the same as
my second son's first name (and my middle name is the same as your first name, so there!).

I assume Sheryl speaks at least one language other than English. If so, do you plan on raising Michael multilingually?

That's up to Sheryl, since I speak only English. (Technically, I know some French, but not well enough to pass it on to a child.) I think she'd like to teach Michael Tagalog or Mandarin (although she's a little rusty with the latter), mainly so they can converse in a language that I don't understand.

FWIW, I was raised multilingually ("English" and German) and would recommend it to anyone. It's completely natural to a child (supposedly people were "amazed" to see me speak to both parents, but switch languages depending on whom I was speaking to) and apart from the obvious benefit it also makes it easier to learn other languages later on (when I finally started Spanish I was surprised to find similar words/pronunciations. I can also read about 30% of the Dutch language despite never having studied it).

Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:56 pm
Just make sure he knows the language before he turns twelve. That's when the somethingsomething (maybe neuron) in the brain hardens and it becomes harder to learn a second language.

Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:27 pm
Pedro wrote:
Just make sure he knows the language before he turns twelve. That's when the somethingsomething (maybe neuron) in the brain hardens and it becomes harder to learn a second language.

I'm not sure of the age, but I think it's common knowledge by now that children learn languages much faster than adults do.

Noam Chomsky defined the theory of a "language acquisition device" which is blank at birth and gets parameterized when children hear languages.
But I think Generative Grammar theory went a bit overboard with the idea. I once read in a book by Steven Pinker that this parameterization leads to either pre-position or post-position in the language and there was nothing in between. His examples where English (prepositions and adjectives before the noun) and Japanese (postpositions and adjectives after the noun; I have to take his word for it, because my Japanese grammar is non-existent).
The problem is that we have the following in German:
* Preposition ("Peter ist in dem Haus.")
* Postposition ("Ich tue das dir zuliebe.")
* Circumposition ("Die Katze schlich um das Haus herum.")

But theory aside, I think it's a good idea for children to learn two languages if the parents are two different native speakers. It's a real advantage because they are able to deal with certain grammatical intricacies automatically without having a hard time of learning them. Also the more languages you know already, the easier it is to pick up new ones.
You have to keep in mind, though, that there seem to be two types of people that were brought up with two languages. One will be able to switch between languages in the blink of an eye and also be able to translate from one language to the other, and the second one will be fluent in both languages but have a hard time translating the languages because they seem to be handled differently in the brain.

To cut a long story short, go for it, but be prepared that your child will mix vocabulary of the two languages in the beginning. But that will sort itself out soon enough. Also from my experience those kids will tend to prefer the language with the easier grammar.

Observing a child that is learning a language is also very interesting from a linguist's point of view. Children pick up regularities with dead-on precision, which leads to funny results when they try to use verbs that we know to be irregular.
Also my niece didn't say "fish" at first but "bish". It could be pure chance, but it reminded me that the Greek word is "piscis" (spelling might be wrong, as I don't know any Greek) and the "p" transformed to an "f" during the First Germanic Sound Shift, which is also know as Grimm's Law.

I'll have to stop now, otherwise too many readers will fall asleep in front of their computers.
(Remember: The most important thing after the Escape-key is the keyboard-airbag!)

Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:29 am
Gaffer

Congratulations James,

Having three kids myself, I can confirm that the process of birth is more of a landmark moment than really a happy one. But watching those little cuddles of flesh grow up is one of the most rewarding things in a lifetime. The unconditional love of a baby for its parents is very touching. The first sign of recognition, the first smile, the first words,...all of those little things will make the birth of your son a happy moment in hindsight.
I wish you and your family many of those small happy moments.

Wouter from Belgium

Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:55 am
Congratulations James.

Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:03 pm
I just finished watching THE GODFATHER and PART II on Blu before I read this, so, James, your son's name is kind of... chilling me to the bone right now. Just saying. ;)

Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:15 pm
Sounds like you'd give this birth 3 stars. Or is that 3-and-a-half?

Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:36 pm
Belated congratulations!

Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:07 am
Critic

Bellhead wrote:
Sounds like you'd give this birth 3 stars. Or is that 3-and-a-half?

:lol: :lol:

Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:41 am
This is coming much belated...so be it.

Many congratulations on Michael Robert and the health of your family. So awesome to hear your thoughts on the whole...um, ordeal? In reality...that's how it goes, you think it one way, and it goes a whole different direction. It makes life fun...or something.

Okay, look, I'm rambling. Seriously, hope all keeps going well with the newest. I'm just hoping you sneek him in somehow in future reviews and ReelThoughts. Love to hear how he and the family are progressing.

Best wishes and God bless.

ram1312

Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:54 am
BrianB wrote:
I just finished watching THE GODFATHER and PART II on Blu before I read this, so, James, your son's name is kind of... chilling me to the bone right now. Just saying. ;)

Hopefully she won't "pull him back in"

Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:08 am
Not sure in which other forum or thread to post this but it seems sort of relevant anyway.

Yesterday (6th October 2010) I became a dad to a 6lb 9oz baby girl who will most likely be named Faith. I detect the purchasing of many Disney dvds in the years to come!

Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:21 am
Dragonbeard wrote:
Not sure in which other forum or thread to post this but it seems sort of relevant anyway.

Yesterday (6th October 2010) I became a dad to a 6lb 9oz baby girl who will most likely be named Faith. I detect the purchasing of many Disney dvds in the years to come!

Ah yeah! Congrats man.

And may she not be as hairy as the father. ;)

Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:32 pm
Dragonbeard wrote:

Congratulations! And may those Disney DVD purchases exclude b-listers like Melody Time and Make Mine Music and other dubious "classics".

Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:02 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
Dragonbeard wrote:

Congratulations! And may those Disney DVD purchases exclude b-listers like Melody Time and Make Mine Music and other dubious "classics".

+1

Welcome to the world, little Faith. You'll like the place, I think. Go easy on your Dad. He's a good guy.

Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:32 am
Name her Leia, you know you want too!

Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:01 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
Dragonbeard wrote:

Not heard of them thankfully!

Thanks Ed, you're a gent!

Sadly I was prevented by my gf from suggesting names that were obviously lifted from the likes of LOTR and the Harry Potter saga (no Hermiones or Arwyns) or WOW or anything nerdy, no matter how much we both like it. That includes Star Wars I'm afraid!

Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:40 am
Post Come on!I will strongly support you!
Come on!I will strongly support you!Image

wow gold buy wow gold cheap wow gold

Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:42 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next