Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:45 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
June 11, 2010: "Welcome, Michael" 
Post Re: June 11, 2010: "Welcome, Michael"
I viewed his picture with my daughters (4 years old) in the room, one told me "baby sad" so i explained that baby is tired because he has just been born. Now they are asking for a brother.

Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:41 am
Gaffer

Congratulations, James!

Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:30 am
Director

Congrats, James. :)

Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:46 am
Profile YIM
I'm very happy you shared all that! I was thinking of many things while reading the piece, such as :

Isn't it possible for the mother to hate the baby at first after having been through all that torture?

Isn't it possible for the mother to hate the spouse for having a baby without much effort?

Isn't it possible for the father to hate the mother because she will always be "The Mother and the one out of whom the child came"?

My questions are much on the negaive side but I think the positive feelings are pretty much obvious.

I admire your honesty and everyone has his own instincts and way of processing things. You (your wife and yourself) probably didn't fall in love at first sight but that doesn't make the current feeling between you less strong.

I won't hope your son becomes an "important" critic, scientist or whatever. I just wish you (again, wife and husband) and your child will have a beautiful relationship and that your son will be happy in a way that won't make you less proud of him.

Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:18 am
My very best wishes to you and yours!
Treasure every moment that you can; they fly by so quickly.

Regards,
Geoff

Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:33 pm
For my first post.. after being a reader for more years than I can count (since before reelviews)

Congratulations James and welcome to the world Michael

Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:01 pm
My father said he had to fight through a foot and a half of Bloomington, Indiana snow to get to my birth, and I'd had to be born by C-Section too due to a big fat head. When he laid eyes on me after hours of slogging through the blizzard, my body was grey-blue and my head was partially cone-shaped due to the difficulties prior to the delivery. He says he burst into tears because he thought he'd have an "ugly" baby . . . thankfully by the next day he'd had some sleep and said things looked a hell of a lot better. So I'm sure he'd appreciate your view of your child's birth as perhaps closer to "universal" than most would think ;)

Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:34 am
Gaffer

Congratulations....and thanks for the wonderful post. I became a dad myself almost 11 months ago and I can tell you that the most rewarding moments are to see the progress your little man makes every day! Enjoy every moment with him because they grow way too fast....

Greetings and good luck from Switzerland,
Mike :D

Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:01 am
Gaffer

Congratulations from Norway!

Of course it is an exhausting experience. Review it after one year, and then three and then five years. And you will see how rewarding this exhaustion is compared with any movie or big event out there.

Since you introspect deeply, and avoid cliches like the plague, that would be an interesting review.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:58 am
Director

Fantastic and very realistic columnm, James. I can relate to what you went through, especially with the birth of my 6 year old son. Congratulations.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:28 am
Congratulations from Malaysia! All the best to Mr. and Mrs. Berardinelli (and little Michael)! :mrgreen:

Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:21 am
Did you actually say "shuffle off this mortal coil"?

:) Great article, great news, best of everything!

Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:38 am
I'm merely happy to echo what just about everyone who has read your blog post has already said.

Congratulations, James! Best wishes to you and Sheryl as you embark on this new chapter in your lives.

This is from someone who has regularly visited your page for ten years and counting. You have helped inspire me to become a writer (well, at least on a voluntary basis!), and who knows, you may help Michael to do the same.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:04 pm
Congratulations to you both!

I do remember the birth of my daughter vividly - my wife did not have a section - and it was a hell of an emotional experience. Best day of my life? - possibly, but possibly not.

Enjoy as much time as you can with Michael - the early years vanish so quickly.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:20 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Michael??

I was expecting something closer to Anakin Luke Noonien James Tiberious Berardinelli...

Congrats :D

Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:24 pm
Dear James,

Right up to the point where you said 'I'm sure there will be plenty of "best days" to enjoy with Michael', that was exactly what I was planning to tell you on this answer.

I can relate to your aloofness and apparent lack of reaction during The Event itself - I do that too. Call it a defense mechanism, akin to not downing a huge meal all at once. But as a father of two, I promise you all the best days are yet to come.
(I'll give you an update on this when my kids hit puberty... :roll: - let's see what I have to say then!)

My most heartfelt congratulations to you and Sheryl; Michael is one mega cutie of a baby.

Let me finish by quoting Bill Murray as Bob Harris:
"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born. Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:42 am
Congratulations to you and your wife and all the best for your newborn son!

Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:44 am
Apart from the usual congratulations, let me offer an extra one with regard to the middle name: it's the same as
my second son's first name (and my middle name is the same as your first name, so there!).

I assume Sheryl speaks at least one language other than English. If so, do you plan on raising Michael multilingually?

Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:39 am
Site Admin

5wivesofbergman wrote:
Apart from the usual congratulations, let me offer an extra one with regard to the middle name: it's the same as
my second son's first name (and my middle name is the same as your first name, so there!).

I assume Sheryl speaks at least one language other than English. If so, do you plan on raising Michael multilingually?

That's up to Sheryl, since I speak only English. (Technically, I know some French, but not well enough to pass it on to a child.) I think she'd like to teach Michael Tagalog or Mandarin (although she's a little rusty with the latter), mainly so they can converse in a language that I don't understand.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:25 am
Profile WWW
Critic

James Berardinelli wrote:
5wivesofbergman wrote:

That's up to Sheryl, since I speak only English. (Technically, I know some French, but not well enough to pass it on to a child.) I think she'd like to teach Michael Tagalog or Mandarin (although she's a little rusty with the latter), mainly so they can converse in a language that I don't understand.

Hahahaha my wife's fluent in Russian and I have the same worries, though they're less tangible since we don't have children yet

Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:51 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next