It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:11 am

June 11, 2010: "Welcome, Michael" 
Site Admin

Post June 11, 2010: "Welcome, Michael"
Click here to read topic.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:48 am
Profile WWW
Post Re: June 11, 2010: "Welcome, Michael"
Wow, James!!! Congrats on the wonderful family addition!

Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:11 am
This was very refreshing. I'm so sick of the typical "my life changed in an instant" stories that accompany childbirth. Your honesty is much appreciated, and although I hope you are able to get some rest, I'm quite sure you will be running on fumes for at least the first few months; such is the nature of caring for a newborn. Thanks for the update, congratulations, and best of luck with Michael.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:27 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Congratulations to you and Sheryl!

I like to think that Michael is in good company as I was also born on May 12, albeit 33 years ago. A close cousin of mine had her baby a few weeks ago and your story indeed struck a familiar chord with me.

Add me to the previous poster who thinks your account is refreshing in its honesty. Newborns are precious, toddlers are cute, but I think the best is yet to come with you and your little man.

Now your biggest concern is to make sure Michael grows up to be a Phillies fan. Can you imagine Thanksgiving in 20 years when, as it turns out, he's a Kansas City Royals booster?!

Best of luck...

Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:08 am
Profile WWW
Gaffer

Congratulations! He's a beautiful boy. And he's got a great name (which he shares with this poster).

And I loved the post. I too was sort of overwhelmed when my daughter was born and it took a few hours for me to really bond with her. And even then, the first few months were more exhausting than thrilling. My wife had a C-section as well and it was a long time before she felt right. Doing diaper changes and midnight feedings (thank Jeebus for pumps, man) helped a lot. Hopefully, you'll get some family members in to share the burden.

Enjoy him while he's still incapable of destroying things! :)

Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:10 am
Congrats, man!! I am so happy that you, your wife, and newborn son are healthy.

Best wishes from a long-time reader.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:41 am
Congratulations JAMES!! Make room for the next Critic !! :D

Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:25 pm
Many congratulations, sir! I thought Reelthoughts had been quiet for a while.

If I may offer a piece of advice... as tiring as these days can be, try your best to enjoy them.

Best wishes to you and yours.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:54 pm
James, very interesting to read this. Your feelings and emotions with the birth are about the same as I experienced. I don't quite relate to the people that say it was "the best day of their lives" either. A very interesting day to be sure, but "best day"...uh I don't think so. Perhaps it's something to do with the C-section experience? A little too clinical perhaps? It's not at all what I had imagined leading up to my wife giving birth. I anticipated the natural childbirth experience and for various reasons had to switch to C-section at the last minute. Maybe the natural birth experience is a lot more awe-inspiring or something.

To be honest, I really don't think the the true bonding with a child begins to happen until around 6-9 months and onward. Then it becomes very strong and very rewarding. I also identify with what you said about bringing the baby home for the first time. That's when it really dawned on me - wow this baby is mine. There are no nurses, no doctors, I'm supposed to take care of this thing and I've never done this before! Ha... that moment can be very daunting for sure. You're in for quite a ride. Congrats!

TCB

Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:04 pm
Congratulations James, get used to sleep deprivation!

Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:04 pm
Congratulations, James! I'm a long time reader, and just recently enjoyed the birth of my first child last week. I can definitely relate to many of your observations. My wife also had a C-section, and I vividly recall the 15 minutes or so that they had me sitting outside the room waiting in my scrubs as they prepped her. Probably the most nerve-wracking 15 minutes of my life. And you're completely right about the "best day of your life" myth. Any day with that much exhaustion, stress, and uncertainty cannot be called a best day. It might be more accurate to say that the actual birth of the baby and hearing his cries for the first time was the best moment of my life.

Best of luck to you!

Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:10 pm
Reading your article, I'd have to say that I'd likely look at the birth of any child of mine in the same way. It would take time for it to hit home. In any case, I offer my congratulations on the newest addition to your family! Perhaps you can write up a review that your son will cause you to make a typo in as you hold him in your lap at your computer (hopefully not because he has an accident on your keyboard). Best of wishes in your commencement of fatherhood, JB. :)

Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:38 pm
He definitely has his father's stern "Take no shit from any movie ever" countenance. He'll make a good 4D-intrabrain-audiovisual-interactive-amusement critic someday.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:44 pm
Congratulations to you and your little family from Germany.

I am having a son who is now one and a half years old. I agree with you regarding "the best day of the life". The most prevailing feeling during the last 18 months was mostly exhaustion. It won't change, I can promise you ;-) It's wonderful to have a child, but it takes a lot to raise it. Being a film music reviewer myself I hardly update my site these days. There is simply no time. Spare time is a luxury now... But a laughing child makes up for it (almost... ;-) That said, enjoy the upcoming weeks. It's a very special mood when you have a newborn at home. Something I will never forget.

Regards,
Mike

Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:32 pm
James! Congrats! That's awesome!

And thank you for sharing your experience with us readers.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:39 pm
Best ReelThoughts ever! :D

Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:14 pm
James, it's posts like this that make you the only American film critic I read.

My best wishes to your family , along with a friendly advice: go ahead quickly with the second one. You can't imagine how beneficial it will be for you, your wife and your son if he has a baby brother/sister with whom to bond while growing up.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:53 pm
Congratulations, James.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:16 pm
Congratulations James. Welcome to the world Michael. Never stop hugging him. It all works out.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:58 pm
As a first post, congratulations to your family. :)

Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:27 pm