Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:51 pm

April 30, 2010: "The Ebert Foreword" 
Post Re: April 30, 2010: "The Ebert Foreword"
Gosh, I feel like an old man. I found James' reviews in rec.arts.movies.reviews, back in about 1995.

James, have you previously discussed "the sad loss in (your) life" that left you free time for reviews?

Mon May 03, 2010 10:08 am
Critic

ilBiroldo wrote:
Gosh, I feel like an old man. I found James' reviews in rec.arts.movies.reviews, back in about 1995.

James, have you previously discussed "the sad loss in (your) life" that left you free time for reviews?

Yeah read through his "retrospective of the 80s" and you'll find out all the details

Mon May 03, 2010 10:10 am
majoraphasia wrote:
LazyGeek wrote:
Thanks for posting the foreword, was an enjoyable read. I found your site originally through Ebert's, though I no longer read him as he seems to be lost to the extremists these days and I can't stomach that sort of nonsense from either end of the spectrum.

The mind reels! When I think of extremists I tend to conjure up people that don't spend any time reviewing "Date Night". Ebert, to the best of my knowledge, has yet to end a review with "Che! Che! Revolution!" Until that day comes he seems like a moderate leftist, not an advocate for extremism.

It is likely my own over-sensitivity to the chest pounding that masquerades as social and political commentary these days, but I simply can't stomach reading it so I've chosen to not read his site. We all see things through our own filters and while no writer operates in a vacuum you can manage to comment without preaching. Preaching of nearly any sort turns me off and so I move along.

Mon May 03, 2010 10:27 am
Second Unit Director

There's an interesting new Ebert blog entry where James is mentioned:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2010/04 ... ritic.html

It must feel good to be "among the half dozen most-read critics in the world." It's interesting this post comes so quickly after this Reelthought.

Mon May 03, 2010 3:21 pm
Site Admin

jadedmoviegoer wrote:
There's an interesting new Ebert blog entry where James is mentioned:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2010/04 ... ritic.html

It must feel good to be "among the half dozen most-read critics in the world." It's interesting this post comes so quickly after this Reelthought.

It's almost as if we conspired to be in synch. It's coincidence, though. I haven't had any direct contact with Roger in a while.

Mon May 03, 2010 4:05 pm
Profile WWW
If you're a fan of the 'nelli, you should buy the book, even if it doesn't support him at all. It's great to be able to take him with you to the local video store and find some obscure movie you haven't seen that he liked. Plus the art on the cover is solid, and it's pretty nicely bound for a paperback. And you can't really claim to be jame's biggest fan without a copy.

Any hope for a volume 3? Or a "Your movie sucks" type volume? I need, I need, I need.

Wed May 05, 2010 1:07 pm
Great article and very good reading, as Ebert stated I also crawled many websites before landing up in reelviews.net.
And after that it opened a Pandora of movies for me, the knowledge of hollywood movies and info what ever i have now is only becoz of Mr James. This site is my gateway to english movies. Keep writing love your reviews

Wed May 05, 2010 2:43 pm
Ebert puts into words things about James I have felt ever since I first read a review of his years back.

If I could offer one of the reasons I like James' reviews so much; it's the non-discrimination of every genre. Whether it be sci-fi or a romantic comedy, a thriller, a horror movie, a blockbuster or a slow burning family drama, everything is approached from an unbiased point of view and judged on its own merits. Hype, pre-concieved notions are put aside and you can tell. It's what keeps me coming back after all these years.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:29 am