Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:05 pm

What countries have you been to? 
Critic

Post What countries have you been to?
Pretty self-explanatory. Travel ranks just below movies and baseball among my interests, but it's not something we discuss around here, and everyone loves talking about themselves, so lets share.

Oh, and stopping in the airport does not count. Which is really a shame, because otherwise I could add the Cape Verde Islands which I'm never going to visit otherwise.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:20 am
Post Re: What countries have you been to?
I've been to all of them.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:55 am
Critic

Shade wrote:
I've been to all of them.

Har har har, thanks for contributing

Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:04 pm
England
Ireland
Scotland
Germany
The Canary Islands
Italy
Malta
Mexico
Puerto Rico

And in keeping with the spirit of the site, I saw "Highlander II" in London in 1991 and was able to warn my friends here in the states of its suckitude a full 2 months before it washed up on the US shores. That's the only movie I've seen in the theaters overseas.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:07 pm
Critic

johnny larue wrote:
England
Ireland
Scotland
Germany
The Canary Islands
Italy
Malta
Mexico
Puerto Rico

And in keeping with the spirit of the site, I saw "Highlander II" in London in 1991 and was able to warn my friends here in the states of its suckitude a full 2 months before it washed up on the US shores. That's the only movie I've seen in the theaters overseas.

The only movie I've seen in theaters overseas was Dear John in Barcelona this year, but it was alas too late to warn America. Why were you in Malta?

Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:13 pm
I actually have a timeshare in Hawaii and I traded it out for a week in Malta instead (same with Canary Islands). No real reason...just off the beaten track.

Great history there (it has the oldest manmade structures still standing in the Gigantiga temples, the imprisonment of Paul before being taken to Rome for execution, the fortresses from the Knights of Malta, the distinction of being the most bombed island in the European theater in WWII) as well as film locations (parts of "Munich" were filmed there, one of the Bond flicks....the Popeye Village from the Robin Williams film still stands today....alas, we did not go).

Didn't see any falcons, but the beaches and the snorkeling were pretty good.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:33 pm
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/m/6f445/

If I added airport stops, the list would be much longer...

I really need to work on updating all the cities and such.

Maybe you can see my Facebook one. http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... 2219089314

Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:38 pm
Critic

Oh wow MunichMan that's really impressive. May I ask why you're so well-traveled, and why you went to Namibia?

Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:47 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
Oh wow MunichMan that's really impressive. May I ask why you're so well-traveled, and why you went to Namibia?

Not much time now, but I will certainly expound later. :)

My wife & I simply love to travel. One of my favorite quotes is from St. Augustine- The world is a book, those who do not travel read only one page.

Living in Germany with 6 weeks vacation certainly helps. :D

We went to Namibia to work as volunteers for two weeks on a cheetah project, then spent 4 weeks driving around in a 4x4 with a roof tent. Sossusvlei and Dead Vlei (if you saw The Cell, you know what I'm talking about) were fantastic. We have done a number of ecovolunteer projects. Snow leopards in the Altai Mountains in Siberia, Otters in Brazil, the Cheetahs in Namibia, and my wife has done an elephant project in Kenya and a Rhino project in Swaziland. My wife has over 60 countries. :)

Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:57 pm
It's been mostly Asia for me, with trips to Japan, South Korea, and Hong Kong. I've also been to the U.K. Of those places, I'd have to go with the UK simply because it's much easier getting by in a nation where you speak the language (albeit with a different accent and with use of different idioms). One thing: just make sure they believe you're NOT an American- in some parts of London, that could have a distinct effect on whether you're still self-ambulatory when you leave.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:13 pm
Uhhhhhh.

Italy. Because I'm somewhat Italian.

Money's never really been good enough to travel outside the country. Inside the state, sure. I went to Utah earlier this year and am going to Nashville on Friday. But yeah, it's a money thing. I want to visit most of the countries in the world.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:16 pm
A related post. I've traveled extensively in over 50 countries, many on multiple occasions, and my top five of nicest/friendliest people in the world, in no particular order--

Sri Lanka
Brazil
Canada
Jordan
Indonesia

And, hands down, on a per capita basis, the country with the highest percentage of beautiful women-- Israel. :o

Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:10 pm
Critic

MunichMan wrote:
And, hands down, on a per capita basis, the country with the highest percentage of beautiful women-- Israel.

Fuck yeah. Shame when I went there it was with my future wife :)

Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:46 pm
Australia (though only for three days and I saw basically nothing... not one dingo, not one kangaroo.)
Germany -- well over a decade ago.
Estonia!
Japan
CANADA!!
Switzerland
Great Britain

I've (more accurately: we've) had a nagging interest in making a move to Europe for quite a while now but certain complications prevent us from leaving. I don't think it's going to happen.

I wanna go to Portugal. Anyone wanna go to Portugal? Let's all go to Portugal!

Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:53 pm
Critic

majoraphasia wrote:
Australia (though only for three days and I saw basically nothing... not one dingo, not one kangaroo.)
Germany -- well over a decade ago.
Estonia!
Japan
CANADA!!
Switzerland
Great Britain

I've (more accurately: we've) had a nagging interest in making a move to Europe for quite a while now but certain complications prevent us from leaving. I don't think it's going to happen.

I wanna go to Portugal. Anyone wanna go to Portugal? Let's all go to Portugal!

I was in Lisbon last month and it was decidedly dumpy. Maybe other parts are nicer, but you'd do better to go to Spain.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:09 pm
It's getting difficult to get more countries, but there is still some low-hanging fruit. Poland, Denmark, Romania, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania... those are the closest/easiest to get to, I guess.

I'll definitely be in Sri Lanka and probably in India on business sometime this year. Saudi Arabia as well and possibly Bangladesh. 4th time to Sri Lanka, so no new country. I want to get at least to 75.

No major pleasure trips planned this year, except to the States. My grandpa is celebrating his 100th birthday and there's going to be a big family party. This year, in September, my grandparents will have been married 73 years. :shock:

Both doing great as well. Still sharp as tacks, both of them. Amazing.

We had a big family reunion party for their 60th, which was great. Shortly before their 65th, I called them and asked if we were going to have another reunion party. They said, "well, it was really nice and all, but so many people spent so much money just to see us, and went through so much trouble... I think we'll wait until our 70th."

And they did!

Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:18 pm
MunichMan wrote:
And, hands down, on a per capita basis, the country with the highest percentage of beautiful women-- Israel. :o

I've heard this before. Sweden and Austria also have high marks from what I've been told. One day I hope to find out.

My only travels outside of the United States has been Canada and Amsterdam. Last month I intended on going with friends to France and Spain but my employer refused to give me the half-day I needed to complete the trip. Assholes. Now that I'm quitting to move across the country I should have just quit earlier and went but that's money I might need. Oh well. I'm not dead yet...there's still time.

I am currently saving, with friends, to visit Brazil in 2014. World...fucking...Cup!!!

Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:55 pm
Bondurant wrote:
I am currently saving, with friends, to visit Brazil in 2014. World...fucking...Cup!!!

Brazil has a high number of beautiful and well-endowed women too, most of whom will be in skimpy bikinis during the World Cup. Sha-WING.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:57 pm
I went to North America once.

No seriously, I've touched around Asia. Been to Shanghai, Malaysia, Tokyo.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:00 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Bondurant wrote:

Brazil has a high number of beautiful and well-endowed women too, most of whom will be in skimpy bikinis during the World Cup. Sha-WING.

Oh, definitely, but there are equally as many (ahem)... large women in Brazil. There are beautiful women in every country, of course but for pure percentages, you can't beat Israel.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:26 pm