Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:16 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 586 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 30  Next
What are you reading? 
Post Re: What are you reading?
Bondurant wrote:

My only audiobook experience is Artie Lange's Too Fat to Fish. I read the book first and only went for the audiobook because the local library had it and it was the subject of much debate on The Howard Stern Show because Artie quit the reading because he went on a binder and there's even an apology by Artie on the discs for quitting. If you're a Stern Show fan you should give this audio a whirl.

Thanks but I'm gonna pass on that one. Howard Stern is right behind Oprah on my list of "People That Should Be Considered A Threat To All That Is Healthy". Cool note on Lange apologizing, though. I think I'll be sticking to radio for the time being; lots of recommended audio books are ~30 hours long. The only way I'd do that is on a road trip.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:16 am
Bondurant wrote:
I'm also reading Inverting the Pyramid by Jonathan Wilson. It's about the history and evolution of soccer tactics. If you're a fan of "the beautiful game" you owe it to yourself to pick up this book.

Wow, I'm glad to hear an opinion on this one. I got interested when Gabriele Marcotti said it's one of the best football books he's read. Are you familiar with Marcotti? By far my favourite football columnist. His opinions are sound, but what I admire is the way he writes. I'll never forget the time he started a column with a quote from The Third Man. I nearly shat myself.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:54 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Bondurant wrote:
I'm also reading Inverting the Pyramid by Jonathan Wilson. It's about the history and evolution of soccer tactics. If you're a fan of "the beautiful game" you owe it to yourself to pick up this book.

Wow, I'm glad to hear an opinion on this one. I got interested when Gabriele Marcotti said it's one of the best football books he's read. Are you familiar with Marcotti? By far my favourite football columnist. His opinions are sound, but what I admire is the way he writes. I'll never forget the time he started a column with a quote from The Third Man. I nearly shat myself.

No, I am not familiar with Marcotti. Wilson and Simon Kuper are the only journalists I'm familiar with because I've read their books. Most of my online reading comes from American blogs focused heavily on MLS and the USMNT. I see Marcotti writes for CNN & SI. I'll have to check out his articles sometime.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:09 pm
I am reading "Secrets of the Gem Trade" so that is work, not pleasure.
I just finished, "The Plot Against America," by Philip Roth, and "Saving Fish From Drowning" By Amy Tan.

Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:28 am
I started American Gods yesterday.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:40 am
I did end up buying American Psycho a couple weeks back.

I'm about a third of the way in. Engrossing...

Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:56 am
I'm halfway through Loop, the third and final novel in the Ring trilogy. Tautology!

The first two were light though heavy on plot, thin in characterization and with a steady emotionlessness that favors the story's working philosophy... if only it had an exciting philosophy. The third has a nice self-referential touch but the translation from Japanese to English has likely robbed the series of any subtlety.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:01 am
ram1312 wrote:

And just plain gross.

Not that it's a bad thing. I think the only other time I've ever been more stunned by purely violent content was my first read-through of From Hell.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:12 pm
Ken wrote:
ram1312 wrote:

And just plain gross.

Not that it's a bad thing. I think the only other time I've ever been more stunned by purely violent content was my first read-through of From Hell.

Aw man...really? I heard that it was graphic, and I'm getting a little taste of it in the beginning here...but I haven't gotten to any of his actual "killings" yet.

I'll come back with a reaction when I finish.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:59 pm
Ken wrote:
I started American Gods yesterday.

HA! I'm totally ahead of you. There's this wonderful scene with Shadow and this bird on page 245...

Ok, I lied. Somewhat. It's 33.33333% true

Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:52 am
I usually read several at a time. But right now I am concentrating on The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon for my book club.

Tue May 04, 2010 9:51 am
I finished American Gods a while ago, but won't go into too much detail. Don't want to spoil things for Ken and all. I think it's enough to say that apart from some minor problems I really loved it. The whole thing is steeped in all kinds of mythology from across the world (well, minus the far East. Seems they didn't bring their Gods to America). This is one of those that when you're done you want to know more about what you just read.

I also finished Maus and was shocked at how affecting a read it was. I imagine that most people have had their fill of holocaust stories (I certainly have), but this one is essential. It's every bit as good as Schindler's List or whatever your holocaust movie of choice may be. It's also one of the most moving things I've ever read. Apart from WWII it's also a story about it's survivors and the ancestors of the survivors. Simply, it's a tender story between a father and his son. I recommend this without any reservation whatsoever. Essential for both comic fans and those who don't like the medium.

Tue May 11, 2010 12:09 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
I also finished Maus and was shocked at how affecting a read it was. I imagine that most people have had their fill of holocaust stories (I certainly have), but this one is essential. It's every bit as good as Schindler's List or whatever your holocaust movie of choice may be. It's also one of the most moving things I've ever read. Apart from WWII it's also a story about it's survivors and the ancestors of the survivors. Simply, it's a tender story between a father and his son. I recommend this without any reservation whatsoever. Essential for both comic fans and those who don't like the medium.

Dude...I need to finish reading this. I own the damn book, Maus 1, and still have yet to finish it. I keep it in the classroom, which is probably why it doesn't get read. If I don't keep it next to the toilet, it doesn't get read.

Tue May 11, 2010 12:59 pm
ram1312 wrote:
Dude...I need to finish reading this. I own the damn book, Maus 1, and still have yet to finish it. I keep it in the classroom, which is probably why it doesn't get read. If I don't keep it next to the toilet, it doesn't get read.

Funny, that's where I'm keeping mine. Recently, I had a stomachache, so a good portion of Maus got read.

Tue May 11, 2010 5:31 pm
I got Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter so I'll be reading that soon enough.

Tue May 11, 2010 6:47 pm
Pedro wrote:
ram1312 wrote:

Funny, that's where I'm keeping mine. Recently, I had a stomachache, so a good portion of Maus got read.

Imho, it's necessary to read the complete Maus. Part 2 is even more affecting.

Thu May 13, 2010 12:07 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Pedro wrote:
ram1312 wrote:

Imho, it's necessary to read the complete Maus. Part 2 is even more affecting.

I figured that. I'm going to have to read those some day. It almost feels...essential.

So...I'm not completely done with American Psycho, but...Ken was right. Patrick Bateman does some absolutely horrific shit and Ellis does not shy away from the specifics. Detailed like you would not believe. Hard to believe that Marry Harron was able to craft a pretty good movie from this novel that was dubbed "unfilmable."

Fri May 14, 2010 4:02 pm
I have to echo the thoughts on Maus. One of the most powerful things I've read. And definitely read them both.

Also, American Gods is very good. Neil Gaiman is one of my favorite authors. Everything he does is wonderful. What an imagination. Truly a creative force. I had the pleasure of meeting him at ComiCon a couple years ago. He received the Icon award in 2007 and I was at the award ceremony, where he mingled a bit with the crowd.

Tue May 18, 2010 6:35 am
Finished American Gods. Good novel. I may put down some thoughts on it later.

Starting on Mad For Decades, which is a retrospective of Mad Magazine comics going all the way back to the glorious Kurtzman/Gaines era.

Tue May 18, 2010 3:54 pm
Wrapping up Ender's Game. Underwhelming so far. I don't know if it's because I started it just after Maus. Maybe I should have read Ender 15 years ago. So far, it's a fairly average read.

Wed May 19, 2010 1:54 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 586 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 30  Next