May 10, 2010: "The ReelViews Shift" 
Site Admin

Post May 10, 2010: "The ReelViews Shift"
Click here to read topic.

Mon May 10, 2010 10:39 am
Profile WWW
Director

Post Re: May 10, 2010: "The ReelViews Shift"
I wish you, your wife, and you little baby boy for the best. Please, take time out for your loved ones and come back to ReelViews with a vengence.

Mon May 10, 2010 11:03 am
Profile YIM
James. Congratulations on impending fatherhood, it has to be a little daunting, not perhaps as much as attending say a sequel to 'Freddie Got Fingered' but, daunting.

I hope you continue to be able to go to new run movies and review them, I've been reading your reviews for quite a number of years and I both appreciate massively the time it takes you to write them and the insight they show. If a movie doesn't poll at least 2 1/2 Berardinelli's I probably don't pay to go to the local cineplex (or whatever they call them here in Singapore, I never figured it out) and if it polls less than 1 1/2, I normally don't even watch it on video or TV. I've seen a lot of good movies that way and I skipped a lot of bad ones, and I don't think there were too many I skipped and should have seen.

So I hope you find ways to do what you do on top of raising a child, I suspect you'll figure out ways to do both (at the expense of yet more sleep), it's a thankless, penniless job, but there are some of us out here who will be really lost on a Thursday evening if they don't have a JB review to help them choose between The Princess Diaries VIII and a nice bottle of Chardonnay infront of a rerun of something on the TV.

Mon May 10, 2010 11:09 am
I can tell right away you are going to be a great dad Mr. B.

Mon May 10, 2010 11:19 am
First of all, many congrats! :)

I like that you brought up that increasingly annoying topic of infants and toddlers being brought to movies. When I went to see Iron Man 2 this last weekend, there were a countless number of children under 10 in the audience, and quite a few probably under the age of 2. Of course, they made a racket the entire time, with the parents having to take the little ones into the aisles to calm them down. When they stopped crying, they would just come back in and return to their seats, and the process would repeat. Sometimes the parents would take turns. There was also a whole family sitting in the row below me, and the kids were bouncing up and down and making noise for almost the entire movie.

My whole experience there wasn't the only reason I didn't care for the movie (and to be honest, I don't blame the kids for being bored. I was bored too), but it was probably the worst time I've had in a theater in a long while.

Mon May 10, 2010 12:01 pm
Site Admin

Blonde Almond wrote:
First of all, many congrats! :)

I like that you brought up that increasingly annoying topic of infants and toddlers being brought to movies. When I went to see Iron Man 2 this last weekend, there were a countless number of children under 10 in the audience, and quite a few probably under the age of 2. Of course, they made a racket the entire time, with the parents having to take the little ones into the aisles to calm them down. When they stopped crying, they would just come back in and return to their seats, and the process would repeat. Sometimes the parents would take turns. There was also a whole family sitting in the row below me, and the kids were bouncing up and down and making noise for almost the entire movie.

My whole experience there wasn't the only reason I didn't care for the movie (and to be honest, I don't blame the kids for being bored. I was bored too), but it was probably the worst time I've had in a theater in a long while.

There are certain G and PG movies where it's expected there will be a high number of kids in the audience and any adult will simply have to deal with it. Disney films, Dreamworks animation, etc. (Midnight showings are a godsend for adults who want to see these movies in a calm environment.) What's really annoying is having this problem at PG-13 and R movies. One would think those would be relatively immune to an influx of underage mutants. As your experience testifies, that's not the case.

I was just informed that the so-called "press" screening of SHREK FOREVER AFTER is next Saturday morning at 9:30 am, with only half the seats reserved for press. The other half, presumably, will go to winners of a radio contest. This does not bode well for the experience as a whole. Plus it's in 3D. Ugh.

Mon May 10, 2010 12:09 pm
Profile WWW
Best wishes from me as well.

If the number of video reviews should indeed increase, I'd regard that as an additional benefit. ;-)

Mon May 10, 2010 12:34 pm
Let me offer my congratulations on the imminent fatherhood, JB. You're about to embark on an entirely new journey, one that will hopefully be as fulfilling for you as your work here has been over the years. Ok, that's enough of my schlock, so I'll stop now.

To be truthful, while I still enjoy reading your reviews, I find that I come to this site more for the interaction with the community of readers that your work has brought together. That, almost more than your reviews, speaks volumes about the impact that you've had on all of us. Thank you for that.

Mon May 10, 2010 12:37 pm
Good for you James, good luck on fatherhood. Since you'll be cutting back on reviewing films, i've decided that if there's a film that I want to see in theaters that you're passing on, then i'll review that film myself. Takers being one such example(though I personally don't get why you'd rather watch SATC 2 over it)I know my writing skills aren't half as good as yours are, but i'll do my best to inform the readers about those "middling" films that they might have in interest in seeing, and hopefully i'll be able to make a difference.

Mon May 10, 2010 1:12 pm
Gaffer

Congratulations for you and your wife. Having children is an amazing experience.

The thing is, the child doesn't limit you, it enhances you. It just takes some time and initial patience.

Enjoy fatherhood, and continue enjoying movies.

I do, a happy father of two wonderful children.

Mon May 10, 2010 2:04 pm
Quote:
The biggest shock I experienced in transitioning from academia to the workforce was the upsurge in free time. Suddenly, my evenings were my own. I didn't have to study or work on my Thesis or collaborate on projects. At first, it was liberating, then it became boring.
I currently find myself in a similar transitional phase. It's a strange feeling.

My girlfriend and I recently had a bad experience at a screening of Oceans, owing not only to talkative young children, but to the parents who chatted right back to them. It was depressing.

Mon May 10, 2010 2:13 pm
Second Unit Director

Congratulations to being a new father. My most immersive recent experience with fatherhood has been playing the game "Heavy Rain" (which anyone in this forum, especially those who love mystery or noir movies, should play). I hope we'll still see reviews of smaller films and foreign films. For example, I based my decision to see "The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo" on your positive review, James. I enjoyed the movie so much that I decided to pick up a copy of the sequel, "The Girl whop Played with Fire" and read through it in several days. As soon as the third book comes out, "The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest," I will be reading that as well. Honestly, I'm more excited about the second two films in the trilogy than any other summer sequel or franchise property.
I'm curious as to why you didn't mention movies in theaters that are available on-demand at home. I saw all three "Red RIding Trilogy" movies through IFC HD. I will likely also be seeing Johnny To's "Vengeance" the same way. Seeing movies on-demand not only saves money and time you'd lose through driving, but it is also cheaper than the price of a ticket. Unfortunately, you lose out on the big-screen presentation. Judging from this Reelthought and your other writings, you aren't too impressed by the theater-going experience anyway. If you have a good home-theater entertainment system, it probably doesn't make too much of a difference anyway.

Mon May 10, 2010 3:06 pm
Yeah I agree with jaded, on demand would be a great way for you to see films that you aren't too enthusiatic about seeing in a theater.

Mon May 10, 2010 3:48 pm
When it comes to James Jr. and going to the movies, the real question people should be asking is will James discourage the child from seeing a movie that he knows is a "Quest for Camelot" but that James Jr. wants to see and only let him see the "[R]" Berardinelli Seal-of-Approval flicks, or will James let him waste his time on crap if he's really dying to see it?

Mon May 10, 2010 4:36 pm
Site Admin

jadedmoviegoer wrote:
Congratulations to being a new father. My most immersive recent experience with fatherhood has been playing the game "Heavy Rain" (which anyone in this forum, especially those who love mystery or noir movies, should play). I hope we'll still see reviews of smaller films and foreign films. For example, I based my decision to see "The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo" on your positive review, James. I enjoyed the movie so much that I decided to pick up a copy of the sequel, "The Girl whop Played with Fire" and read through it in several days. As soon as the third book comes out, "The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest," I will be reading that as well. Honestly, I'm more excited about the second two films in the trilogy than any other summer sequel or franchise property.

I should be getting both sequels on screeners as soon as they're available, so the reviews should go up in a timely fashion (timely for the U.S., that is). I understand, however, that the release dates have been pushed back from "summer" to "fall (date unspecified)".

Mon May 10, 2010 5:25 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

BrianB wrote:
When it comes to James Jr. and going to the movies, the real question people should be asking is will James discourage the child from seeing a movie that he knows is a "Quest for Camelot" but that James Jr. wants to see and only let him see the "[R]" Berardinelli Seal-of-Approval flicks, or will James let him waste his time on crap if he's really dying to see it?

Well, you know the saying... You can lead the horse to water, but you can't make him drink...

Mon May 10, 2010 5:26 pm
Profile WWW
James Berardinelli wrote:
BrianB wrote:

Well, you know the saying... You can lead the horse to water, but you can't make him drink...

I for one can't wait to see how fatherhood will change your attitudes towards movies. I mean, it has to change that (along with everything else) right? And I agree with everyone else that you'll make an excellent father.

Mon May 10, 2010 6:22 pm
I wish you, your wife and the baby the best.

It's cool that the kid will have roots in three continents. (You are in part Italian, if I'm correct)

Mon May 10, 2010 7:07 pm
Oh James, you say you're going to up your DVD reviews so much it's lost all meaning....and congrats.

Mon May 10, 2010 7:08 pm
Critic

Patrick wrote:
Oh James, you say you're going to up your DVD reviews so much it's lost all meaning

Hahahaha it's so true! Remember the "Sublime/Ridiculous" VideoViews motif that lasted exactly two reviews? (SherryBaby and Airplane I believe)? Ahhhh good times

Mon May 10, 2010 8:00 pm