Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:52 pm

Community 
Post Community
I've been watching Community since it was added to the NBC Thursday night lineup with Parks & Rec, The Office and 30 Rock. It's stars Joel McHale and Chevy Chase and it's about community college. I really like this show. It's pretty damn funny and it's rife film references. Last night's episode had lot's of Animal House stuff. Good times. Does anyone else enjoy Community?

Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:40 pm
Post Re: Community
I watched my first episode last night on nbc.com. I really enjoy McHale in the Soup and he is equally as funny in this show. It's also nice to see Chevy Chase stop taking himself so seriously and actually be funny again. He rocks in the role. I'm definately intigued and will tune in to catch more shows.

Mon May 03, 2010 7:41 pm
I watched the first 5 or 6 episodes when it premiered and then lost interest. It was funny in parts and I generally liked it, but there were too many other shows premiering that taxed my limited free-time such that "Community" became one of the casualties.

Tue May 04, 2010 9:29 am
johnny larue wrote:
I watched the first 5 or 6 episodes when it premiered and then lost interest. It was funny in parts and I generally liked it, but there were too many other shows premiering that taxed my limited free-time such that "Community" became one of the casualties.

That's how tv works. Too many show, too little time. "Community" works well for me because it's placed in the NBC Thursday lineup which is the only night I always make time to watch each week.

Tue May 04, 2010 1:28 pm
Ya...sadly over the last few years I've gravitated away from comedies and towards action-dramas (Lost, 24, etc.) and some police procedurals. My upstairs DVR has much of this seasons Fox Sunday night animation (Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad...American Dad being the least favorite but still good for some chuckles) unwatched. I think that will be my project this summer...get through all of those. Otherwise for comedies I'm currently watching "The Ricky Gervais Show" on HBO (unscripted)....and that's about it. Hmmm...maybe I could use some more humor in my viewing habits. I've heard Modern Family is good...but that's another thread.

Tue May 04, 2010 2:49 pm
Community is my favorite half hour comedy on TV right now. The chemistry between the cast members is excellent, and Alison Bree in particular manages to shine. And I love all the pop culture references. :D

Wed May 05, 2010 9:19 am
Wow. If you missed "Community" last night do yourself a favour and watch it on NBC.com. The episode is called "Modern Warfare".

Fri May 07, 2010 10:00 am
irerancincpkc wrote:
Community is my favorite half hour comedy on TV right now. The chemistry between the cast members is excellent, and Alison Bree in particular manages to shine. And I love all the pop culture references. :D

Mmmm, Alison bree....

Recorded the episode last night, can't wait to watch it!

Sat May 08, 2010 10:18 am
Bondurant wrote:
Wow. If you missed "Community" last night do yourself a favour and watch it on NBC.com. The episode is called "Modern Warfare".

Yeah, its so freaking awesome. :D I loved the dig they threw in at Glee there... :lol:

Mon May 10, 2010 12:10 pm
Watched the "Modern Warfare" episode last night on the NBC.com website. Yes...that was pretty funny. A lot of good homages to cinema there; very funny cliches exploited. Maybe I'll try and circle back to this series this summer in reruns.

Tue May 11, 2010 8:33 am
Finally watched the Modern Warfare episode...good stuff. I know it's love him or hate him...but the Spanish Prof is probably one of my favorite characters, especially in that episode.

Tue May 11, 2010 10:31 am
Ugh...the season finale was wretched. One bad episode and they had to do it with the season finale.

Thu May 20, 2010 11:17 pm
ppl expect the finale to be the best episode in a season, but it rarely ever happens. at least the last episode gave us something new to look forward to. other shows had downright lame finales (castle and mentalist comes to mind). dexter was the only show that exceeded expectations for me.

modern warfare was hands down the best episode in the season. and abed's batman impersonation was priceless

Sat May 22, 2010 1:32 pm
Director

Don't know how many watch this show here, but I like new poster for the new season, regarding its cast change:

Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:24 am
Producer

Community is one of my favorite shows, but I confess I got through one episode of season 4 before giving up in disgust. I couldn't stand to see one of the smartest TV comedies of all time debase itself like that.

I suppose I'll have to ram those episodes down at some point, though, just to get up to speed for episode 1 of season 5.

Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:58 pm
Director

I didn't find season 4 as bad as people say. For me at least, it is a matter of a show going three seasons of 9, 9.5, 9 in quality (respectively) to 6.5-7, so it's quite a steep drop, bu not quite abomination.

Yeah, the first episode isn't exactly bad, more of a very off-putting feeling that something is not right. More of a zombie show. I think they right that feeling a little with the next one, Halloween episode.

I suppose that there are some developments that will have future bearings in season 5, so you might have to watch it. But it's not that big of a struggle if you adjust expectation. Looking through the season's 13 episode list, I would say that 4 of them are legitimately enjoyable (episode 2,5,8,11), 3 OK (6, 7, 12), 3 very oddball (1,9,10), and 3 bad (3,4,13), with unfortunately the last one worst of them all, imo.

Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:48 pm
Director

I've tried to get into this show, but, pleasant enough as it seems, I just don't get the desperation to keep it alive season after season. It's no Arrested Development, that's for sure. :|

Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:59 pm
Director

Community Season 5 trailer.

Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:35 pm
Director

The first episode spends a lot of time adjusting to the events of last season, but the second one makes me laugh out loud several times. I love how my subtitle for Abed's meltdown goes "(Yelling like Nicholas Cage)". Jonathan Banks is great.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:00 am
Producer

The Ass Crack Bandit episode cracked me up. Funny stuff.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:30 am