It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:53 am

April 30, 2010: "The Ebert Foreword" 
Site Admin

Post April 30, 2010: "The Ebert Foreword"
Click here to read topic.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:52 am
Profile WWW
Post Re: April 30, 2010: "The Ebert Foreword"
Thanks for posting the foreword, was an enjoyable read. I found your site originally through Ebert's, though I no longer read him as he seems to be lost to the extremists these days and I can't stomach that sort of nonsense from either end of the spectrum.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:02 pm
Director

LazyGeek wrote:
Thanks for posting the foreword, was an enjoyable read. I found your site originally through Ebert's, though I no longer read him as he seems to be lost to the extremists these days and I can't stomach that sort of nonsense from either end of the spectrum.

I found James thru Rotten tomatoes of all places. I think that in the past 12 months, I've looked at Roger in a new light. I love the man even more to this day. His twitter acoount is the only good thing about Twitter.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:17 pm
Profile YIM
LazyGeek wrote:

The mind reels! When I think of extremists I tend to conjure up people that don't spend any time reviewing "Date Night". Ebert, to the best of my knowledge, has yet to end a review with "Che! Che! Revolution!" Until that day comes he seems like a moderate leftist, not an advocate for extremism.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:25 pm
Site Admin

majoraphasia wrote:
LazyGeek wrote:

The mind reels! When I think of extremists I tend to conjure up people that don't spend any time reviewing "Date Night". Ebert, to the best of my knowledge, has yet to end a review with "Che! Che! Revolution!" Until that day comes he seems like a moderate leftist, not an advocate for extremism.

Note to self: Change end of review for "Iron Man 2."

Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:28 pm
Profile WWW
Quote:
Over a period of several years, many thousands of people looking for movie reviews have traveled the Web, and they have discovered Berardinelli, recognized the quality of his work, and kept coming back.

This is exactly my experience. I discovered James through Rotten Tomatoes as well. I would go there often to peruse the reviews and funnily enough, I found myself searching out these wonderfully-written, insightful and informative reviews which happened to be written by the same author. James, you are now one of the very few critics I read, and, even more noteworthy, whose opinion i respect, whether I agree with it or not (wow, sure a lot of commas in THAT sentence!).

Anyway, thanks for all the years of enjoyment. Keep up the good work.

Now if we can only get the forums up to the quantity/quality of Emerson's Scanners blog community, we'll have something! Then again, he has Ebert's site as a gateway, which I imagine is a distinct advantage. :)

Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:45 pm
I also found JB through Rotten Tomatoes. I always found myself agreeing with his little excerpts and eventually added him to my favorite critics list on the site. Now I visit the site/forums whenever I can.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:54 pm
It was Ebert's own review of 'Fight Club', featuring a nice quote from Berardinelli, that lead me to the site in 1999. I then only considered Ebert and Berardinelli for about 3 years before adding The New Yorker critics to the list. Others were added much later. I avoid the aggregate sites as much as possible.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:05 pm
At the Movies with Berardinelli & Ebert.

Just think about it for a minute.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:20 pm
mjl1783 wrote:
At the Movies with Berardinelli & Ebert.

Just think about it for a minute.

I'd watch that.

Sat May 01, 2010 4:26 am
Critic

I found Berardinelli through the External Review on IMDB. He was right under Ebert (with the Guardian/Observer sandwiched between them) and reviewed a lot of movies Ebert didn't (woooo Halloween 6!) so I added him to my regulars, which later expanded to the AV Club and New York Times. I wish JB still was linked to from IMDB. Apparently it's not worth the trouble, or some such

Sat May 01, 2010 9:27 am
Second Unit Director

What a great forward from Roger Ebert. And JB deserves all the kudos expressed in it.

Sat May 01, 2010 11:02 am
MunichMan wrote:
Quote:
Over a period of several years, many thousands of people looking for movie reviews have traveled the Web, and they have discovered Berardinelli, recognized the quality of his work, and kept coming back.

This is exactly my experience. I discovered James through Rotten Tomatoes as well. I would go there often to peruse the reviews and funnily enough, I found myself searching out these wonderfully-written, insightful and informative reviews which happened to be written by the same author. James, you are now one of the very few critics I read, and, even more noteworthy, whose opinion i respect, whether I agree with it or not (wow, sure a lot of commas in THAT sentence!).

Anyway, thanks for all the years of enjoyment. Keep up the good work.

Now if we can only get the forums up to the quantity/quality of Emerson's Scanners blog community, we'll have something! Then again, he has Ebert's site as a gateway, which I imagine is a distinct advantage. :)

I too found JB through the Rotten Tomatoes website, purely by accident. I can't even remember which film I was looking at reviews for when I found his, but the rest, as they say, is history.

Sat May 01, 2010 11:36 am
Thank you very much for posting the foreword. It was great to read a little of Ebert's thoughts on Reelviews. To this day, I still primarily read Reelviews and Ebert, only occasionally straying outside the two.

Sat May 01, 2010 12:20 pm
The fact that Ebert is such a class act and great writer is the only thing that excuses him from having such a crappy opinion of movies lately.

Sat May 01, 2010 9:34 pm
Critic

deckman wrote:
The fact that Ebert is such a class act and great writer is the only thing that excuses him from having such a crappy opinion of movies lately.

Heh. Kinda true

Sat May 01, 2010 9:43 pm
SO James, with this job reference in hand, it sounds as though you could telecommute to just about any print/web media job you wanted. I mean you only got a referral from the most influential critic/movie writer who's ever lived.

How's about it? You ready to give up this electrical engineering hobby and persue movie watching full time?? Paid trips to Cannes, Sundance et.al.? It couldn't be all bad...

Sun May 02, 2010 11:01 am
I believe I first found James when I was searching for reviews for the first Harry Potter film (I had just read the first four books, and was on a bit of a Harry Potter high at the time).

Sun May 02, 2010 12:11 pm
I'm going to go buy those books now.

Sun May 02, 2010 5:26 pm
ShrunkenHead wrote:
I believe I first found James when I was searching for reviews for the first Harry Potter film (I had just read the first four books, and was on a bit of a Harry Potter high at the time).

Wow, that's exactly how I found this site too! Even at a tender age of 11, I could still feel his review stood apart from others that I stopped to check the site from time to time, and became a regular 4-5 years ago.

Mon May 03, 2010 12:54 am