Poll #49: Zombies! 

How do you like your zombies?
Fast 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Slow 62%  62%  [ 13 ]
Don't care 33%  33%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 21

Poll #49: Zombies! 
Post Poll #49: Zombies!
From the major, how fast do you like your zombies?

Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:58 am
Post Re: Poll #49: Zombies!
As long as the zombies are scary, I don't care how fast they move.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:59 am
The point of zombies isn't how quickly or slowly they move. It's that there are so many of them that your mortality is just a matter of time. So yeah, don't care.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:03 am
Where's the dancin' option?

Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:59 am
I love a slow zombie. How often do characters lull themselves into a false sense of security with a speedy undead thing running around? It's too fight-or-flight with a quick zombie. The slow ones are more easily played for sport and have prompted more philosophical musing than one can shake a stick at.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:14 am
I prefer fast zombies as the'yre a hell of alot more intimidating, that whole "false sense of security excuse" just dosen't work for me, it's hard for me to be intimidated by something you can easily outrun.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:19 am
I'm a traditionalist. I say slow. Movies with faster zombies eventually have to devolve into an action movie.

Vexer wrote:
I prefer fast zombies as the'yre a hell of alot more intimidating, that whole "false sense of security excuse" just dosen't work for me, it's hard for me to be intimidated by something you can easily outrun.

But they just keepin coming!!!! You run, and run, and run, and they're still there!!!! That's terrifying!!!! I love exclamation points!!!!

For those picking the "don't care" option, I say this: Sac up, fellas. Take a stand. Make a choice.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:28 am
PeachyPete wrote:
I'm a traditionalist. I say slow. Movies with faster zombies eventually have to devolve into an action movie.

Vexer wrote:

But they just keepin coming!!!! You run, and run, and run, and they're still there!!!! That's terrifying!!!! I love exclamation points!!!!

For those picking the "don't care" option, I say this: Sac up, fellas. Take a stand. Make a choice.

I did take a stand, it's not about how fast they move it's how scary they are.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:49 am
It all comes down to getting killed vs. letting yourself get killed.

With a slow zombie you've got to be able to outrun them. Not too difficult. But there's always a bunch of people that get cocky and end up in an undead digestive tract.

The fast zombies are wild animals, milling about until they spot prey and then swarming. No matter how smart you are they have brute strength and numbers.

I like the idea of people making mistakes and ending up dead rather than death coming out of getting caught by a feral animal. Just not as fun.

Plus, fast zombies means more action and less suspense. To me, anyway.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:59 am
It is very important that Zombies are shuffling slowly like drunks in an alleyway. Zombie movies tap into the fear of anonymous masses, of being isolated and alone despite being in a group of persons and of everybody else being "dead" (emotionally or otherwise) when you're not. This doesn't work when Zombies are moving fast, because then the Zombie movie is all about the fear of being outrun by a predator and boo-moments. There are better monsters for this kind of thing. Zombie movies should inspire feelings of dread and general unease rather than providing scares.

Zombie movies which try to make sociological points also require that the individual Zombie is unthreatening, because they are concerned with how the living are unable to cope with a threat, which could have been dealt with easily if people would just cooperate.

Slow Zombies also require a higher content of gore in the movie in order to remain credible threats. That's a good thing, isn't it?

Ultimately, it comes down to the film though. 28 days later has fast, erm, pseudo-Zombies and is quite good. The one in which a slow movieng Zombie goes mano a mano with a shark (Zombie 2?) is not (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSPG9QQg4C0)

Aaaah, Zoooombieeees!

Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:01 pm
It's worth noting that while the zombies in Night of the Living Dead weren't exactly speedy, they weren't the shambling, shuffling slowpokes that came to typify the zombie subgenre. Look at the first scene in the graveyard. Is the zombie running? No. But he's still getting around quickly enough. He's got more of a loping stumble than anything else, or a stumbling lope.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:32 pm
Patrick wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:

Vexer wrote:

I did take a stand, it's not about how fast they move it's how scary they are.

Well, that's not really answering the question. In a question of "what do you like better: this or that?" An answer of "I don't care" isn't valid. It's basically the speech Madsen gives Hannah about relief or regret in Kill Bill Vol.2.

I say "I don't care" shouldn't be an option at all, but it's a silly poll about zombies, so it doesn't really matter. I guess you could say, I don't care.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:01 pm
I don't mind if they run as long as it is stiff legged and jinkety janked. Or if they run and stop or run and fall because their zombie brains can only process in short spurts. If they look like Carl Lewis when they run, or like Barry Sanders can stop on a dime and change direction whilst maintaining momentum then it's not a real zombie movie, IMO.

So I guess I like my zombies slow. And I'm ready for the next great actual zombie movie.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:15 pm
Pride Prejudice and Zombies is on the way just for you Moovy.

If it's a true reanimation of corpses, zombie type movie, then the zombies have to be slow. If it's not a "Zombie" movie, for instance the aforementioned 28 Days Later, fast zombies are fine with me. If I had my choice though, there would be no fast zombies, I'm a traditionalist, also there would be no VAMPIRES THAT CAN WALK IN DAYLIGHT BUT SHIMMER LIKE A DIAMOND!!!!! WTF!? Stupid writers take too much liberty on other people's ideas nowadays. If you're going to use Frankenstien, Zombies, Werewolves, Vampires, or others, the source material should be nearly gospel.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:15 am
I like my Zombies just how I like my women: slow.

What?

Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:46 am
ed_metal_head wrote:

What?

"Strange man from make-believe country of 'Trinidad' has fetish that doubles as charity. Details at 11."

Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:51 am
majoraphasia wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

What?

"Strange man from make-believe country of 'Trinidad' has fetish that doubles as charity. Details at 11."

What the hell? You think I'm some kind of sicko? What I meant to say was that I like my women slow moving. Makes it easier to pick them off and stuff them into my van.

Please let me know when I cross the line.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:00 pm
stiefmo wrote:
Pride Prejudice and Zombies is on the way just for you Moovy.

If it's a true reanimation of corpses, zombie type movie, then the zombies have to be slow. If it's not a "Zombie" movie, for instance the aforementioned 28 Days Later, fast zombies are fine with me. If I had my choice though, there would be no fast zombies, I'm a traditionalist, also there would be no VAMPIRES THAT CAN WALK IN DAYLIGHT BUT SHIMMER LIKE A DIAMOND!!!!! WTF!? Stupid writers take too much liberty on other people's ideas nowadays. If you're going to use Frankenstien, Zombies, Werewolves, Vampires, or others, the source material should be nearly gospel.

A proper shout-out to Natalie Portman for producing said flick, but is she right for the starring role?

Sat May 01, 2010 8:38 pm
I think Portman is one of the actresses/actors that has the ability to act, but not take themselves so seriously because they have great ability. I like her in the role, and I like that she enjoyed the source material so much that she is producing. She's definately going to give the project everything she has. It's on my radar as highly anticipated.

Mon May 03, 2010 7:33 pm
I don't think I care how fast/slow zombies are... granted, they are creepier when slow, but I believe decent movies have been done with *both* kinds of zombies, right?

Tue May 04, 2010 12:39 am