Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:47 pm

A music thread - Morrissey 
Post A music thread - Morrissey
The Smiths were part of an earlier life. Since then i've been buying Morrissey albums.

He's a poet of modern day bleak misery and unless you've already found him you may not want to read on .

I snapped up his new album yesterday and it's been playing incessantly when i've not been watching movies

Message to fans :-)

"Years of Refusal" is a great return to Morrissey at this very best. It's too early to say it's great, but the signs are good.

Rob

Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:33 am
Post Re: A music thread - Morrissey
Big fan though I haven't got my hands on the new album yet. Great to hear you liked it Robert, will pick it up on the weekend. For what it's worth I think You Are the Quarry was a return to form for the great man, though I never really got into Ringleader of the Tormentors.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:42 am
Vic wrote:
Big fan though I haven't got my hands on the new album yet. Great to hear you liked it Robert, will pick it up on the weekend. For what it's worth I think You Are the Quarry was a return to form for the great man, though I never really got into Ringleader of the Tormentors.

100% agree on YATQ and ROTT

So what is your favorite track on Quarry?

I'm going to play mine right now :-)

Rob

Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:54 am
There is something I wanted to tell you
It's so funny you'll kill your self laughing
then I look around
then I remember that I am alone, alone for evermore

Here you'll find despair and I
Calling to you with what's left of my heart
My heart for evermore

=============
It just does not get any better :-)

Rob

Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:01 am
Lovely to hear a fan's review - the local music rag gave it 3 1/2:

MORRISSEY

Years of Refusal (Polydor/ Universal)

Renaissance art is loaded with spooky babies making coded hand gestures for the edification of conspiracy theorists, but never has a reputed virgin been more sadly enigmatic than Morrissey. That’s a caterpillar on his arm, British scholars are suggesting, and a butterfly on the infant’s brow. The best interpretation therefore might have something to do with the blossoming of Mozzer’s inner child on this, the third album of his renaissance after seven years in exile. If so, bless him, the little one is uncannily like his old man: clinically depressed, spiteful, pessimistic, murderously misanthropic and steeped in gallows humour. "I’m doing very well" is the kind of opening line you’d volunteer if you were recovering from something, which our protagonist is not in Something Is Squeezing My Skull. "There is no love in modern life", nor hope, or true friendship, he warns over the metallic attack of his scowling punk-pop quartet, but there’s a shed load of mood enhancing medication, itemised with a hypochondriac’s attention to detail. He begins the second song, Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed, with a fierce military march and a double-tracked cry for his mum: simultaneously John Lennon’s gutted admonishment and Freddie Mercury’s wail from a prison cell. Whatever the grey-suited pigs and bailiffs did to see her off, he promises he’ll "slit their throats" in retribution - which at least offers a glimmer of loyalty in an arsenal which has never sounded more cold. The troubled friend in When I Last Spoke To Carol goes to her grave with a heartless cold shoulder. The atmospheric You Were Good In Your Time is a warmer eulogy, but the past tense is the point. The magnificently soaring likes of It’s Not Your Birthday Anymore and That’s How People Grow Up are undercut by the kind of poisonous paternal wisdom that explains why the kid on the cover is pointing straight to Hell. The latter has the best joke, in which our loveless hero is comforted by someone on their deathbed: "I crashed and broke my spine/ so yes, there are things worse in life than never being someone’s sweetie". Ah, it’s the way he tells ’em.

- any comments?

Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:18 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
Vic wrote:

100% agree on YATQ and ROTT

So what is your favorite track on Quarry?

I'm going to play mine right now :-)

Rob

Either First of the Gang to Die or Irish Blood, English Heart

Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:14 am
Like the world has been divided into Beatles and Rolling Stones fandom, I think there's a division between Morrisey and The Smiths vs. Robert Smith and The Cure. It culminated when Smith said "If Morrissey says don't eat meat, I'm going to eat meat cause I hate Morrissey."

I'm with The Cure cause I hate Morrissey, I hate The Smiths, I hate everything about them and I started hating Modest Mouse the second Johnny Marr announced he was in the band.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:53 am