Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:37 am

Stanley Kubrick Scripts now in Production. 
Post Stanley Kubrick Scripts now in Production.
http://www.collider.com/2010/04/22/three-stanley-kubrick-scripts-to-become-major-productions-by-philco-films/

The first will be a large-scale Civil War film entitled Downslope. The second, Lunatic At Large, will star Scarlett Johansson and Sam Rockwell, and the third is a TV series called God Fearing Man that revolves around a famous bank robber in the early 20th century.

How do people feel about this? Kubrick is the scribe, but it's as a director where he really shone. Given the right cast and crew, could these be worthy of the great man? Or, are they doomed to failure? And...what does Phil have to do with this?

Discuss.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:16 pm
Post Re: Stanley Kubrick Scripts now in Production.
Anything to get Hollywood shooting original ideas again is fine with me. What really interests me though is that article's last paragraph

Quote:
Pulling all of these projects together is the man adapting the scripts for each: Stephen R. Clarke, who might have limited experience, has pedigree to his name. His father, Roy Clarke, is a well-known British sitcom writer (Last of the Summer Wine) who has also dabbled in film (A Foreign Field). Perhaps the pedigree will shine through, as Stephen has been given a grand opportunity to show what he can do.

That gives me the impression that, while the films may have Kubrick's ideas, they probably won't actually resemble Kubrick's works. Still, the track record for Slightly-Changed-Kubrick's-Ideas-vehicles is one strong with A.I. (this is a very arguable fact), so I'm hopeful. We'll see what happens.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:41 pm
A.I. was amazing. People who dislike Spielberg, not so amazing. It's not a perfect film, but if Kubrick's name was the only one attached (even if, obviously, that was not the real case) to maintain the project's indie-tegrity, the film would have become lionized (or at the very least treated more fairly), not scorned.

As for my part in this, I suppose my enthusiasm has infected other people. Now, for the Americanized version of 'Pixote'. Done, you say? Egadz, it has! They like to call it, 'Chop Shop'.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:01 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
A.I. was amazing. People who dislike Spielberg, not so amazing. It's not a perfect film, but if Kubrick's name was the only one attached (even if, obviously, that was not the real case) to maintain the project's indie-tegrity, the film would have become lionized (or at the very least treated more fairly), not scorned.

That's speculation, of course, but I'm inclined to agree. Fully agree. The movie was far more imaginative than 99% of the other releases in summer '01 and was too frequently maligned (by myself included) for what has erroneously labeled the "Spielberg Conclusion".

I'm not 100% sure about this but I think the film will approach classic status in the next few decades. Eyes Wide Shut is remembered far more fondly than it was experienced upon opening.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:44 pm
As a skeptic, I'm skeptical, but as a moviegoer... I loves me some Kubrick. So yeah, it's moderately exciting.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:50 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:

Well, it seems than we can finally fully agree on something. I've always maintained that A.I. is the drizzle to Snoop Doggy Dogg's umbrella (pretty sure that I botched that).

Anyway, as you and Zeppelin have so eloquently pointed out, A.I. was scripted by Kubrick and came out pretty well. That should inspire some optimism in these projects. However, we should keep two things in mind. First, the director who helms might not be a Spielberg (an excellent director, despite his maudlin tendencies). Second, and perhaps more importantly, Kubrick didn't just script A.I. He had completed a lot of other work including most (all?) of the storyboards, which would have made a big difference in fulfilling "his" vision.

Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:48 am
Director

I guess none of these projects ended up getting anywhere.

Sun May 26, 2013 4:40 pm