Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:11 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Recent DVD Purchases 
Author Message
Post Re: Recent DVD Purchases
Doesn't anyone purchase from Amazon? I've stopped buying DVDs because prices here are ridiculous. Shipping from the US is cheaper, but you end up paying more than double for shipping/customs. Anyway, I've digressed. When I did buy DVDs, almost all my purchases were from Amazon. They have some sort of sale almost everyday.

For instance, they have a $5.79 sale on now. A lot of junk, but some goodies too. I didn't look around too much, but just on the first page they have The Iron Giant (Special Edition), Logan's Run, Contact, The Haunting (1963) and The Thing from Another World (1951).

If anyone stops by you could always click the Amazon affiliate link on one of James' reviews beforehand.


Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:07 pm
Post Re: Recent DVD Purchases
ed_metal_head wrote:
Doesn't anyone purchase from Amazon? I've stopped buying DVDs because prices here are ridiculous. Shipping from the US is cheaper, but you end up paying more than double for shipping/customs. Anyway, I've digressed. When I did buy DVDs, almost all my purchases were from Amazon. They have some sort of sale almost everyday.

For instance, they have a $5.79 sale on now. A lot of junk, but some goodies too. I didn't look around too much, but just on the first page they have The Iron Giant (Special Edition), Logan's Run, Contact, The Haunting (1963) and The Thing from Another World (1951).

If anyone stops by you could always click the Amazon affiliate link on one of James' reviews beforehand.

Decent deals. But I have seen all of those films for $5 in real stores where there would be no shipping involved. As prices for DVDs come further and further down, buying online becomes less cost effective as the price of shipping equals the purchase cost in some cases.


Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:53 am
Post Re: Recent DVD Purchases
ed_metal_head wrote:
Doesn't anyone purchase from Amazon? I've stopped buying DVDs because prices here are ridiculous. Shipping from the US is cheaper, but you end up paying more than double for shipping/customs. Anyway, I've digressed. When I did buy DVDs, almost all my purchases were from Amazon. They have some sort of sale almost everyday.

For instance, they have a $5.79 sale on now. A lot of junk, but some goodies too. I didn't look around too much, but just on the first page they have The Iron Giant (Special Edition), Logan's Run, Contact, The Haunting (1963) and The Thing from Another World (1951).

If anyone stops by you could always click the Amazon affiliate link on one of James' reviews beforehand.


I buy from Amazon on a regular basis. In fact I just ordered a few items around 30 minutes ago (The Untouchables Soundtrack, X-Files Season 5, and Punisher MAX vol 2: Kitchen Irish). I also have an Amazon Visa. Whenever I charge enough stuff I get a $25 Amazon gift certificate...just used one.

On a sidenote...where are you from that dvds are so expensive?


Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:57 pm
Post Re: Recent DVD Purchases
Not quite a purchase but I now own The Wrestler. My dad bought it for himself and we watched it together a little while ago...he didn't like it.


Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:02 pm
Post Re: Recent DVD Purchases
Bondurant wrote:
I buy from Amazon on a regular basis. In fact I just ordered a few items around 30 minutes ago (The Untouchables Soundtrack, X-Files Season 5, and Punisher MAX vol 2: Kitchen Irish). I also have an Amazon Visa. Whenever I charge enough stuff I get a $25 Amazon gift certificate...just used one.


Kitchen Irish rocked.


Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:55 pm
Post Re: Recent DVD Purchases
Patrick wrote:
Not quite a purchase but I now own The Wrestler. My dad bought it for himself and we watched it together a little while ago...he didn't like it.


Does he do that often Patrick...buy titles he's never seen before?

I have done that before, but very rarely.


Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:36 pm
Post Re: Recent DVD Purchases
ram1312 wrote:
Patrick wrote:
Not quite a purchase but I now own The Wrestler. My dad bought it for himself and we watched it together a little while ago...he didn't like it.


Does he do that often Patrick...buy titles he's never seen before?

I have done that before, but very rarely.


Both my parents do blind buys, I used to but I rarely do them now. Usually I ask for movies I haven't seen as gifts or just rent them from my local library.


Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:53 pm
Post Re: Recent DVD Purchases
Bondurant wrote:
On a sidenote...where are you from that dvds are so expensive?


I live in Trinidad. DVDs here cost around $25 to $35 US dollars. Not incredibly expensive, but I get a full tank of gas for a little over $15.


Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:18 pm
Post Re: Recent DVD Purchases
ed_metal_head wrote:
Bondurant wrote:
On a sidenote...where are you from that dvds are so expensive?


I live in Trinidad. DVDs here cost around $25 to $35 US dollars. Not incredibly expensive, but I get a full tank of gas for a little over $15.


I'll take that trade off. Unless you drive a Geo Metro.


Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:00 am
Post Re: Recent DVD Purchases
ram1312 wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
Bondurant wrote:
On a sidenote...where are you from that dvds are so expensive?


I live in Trinidad. DVDs here cost around $25 to $35 US dollars. Not incredibly expensive, but I get a full tank of gas for a little over $15.


I'll take that trade off. Unless you drive a Geo Metro.


I actually had to look up a Geo Metro to realise that, no, I drive something a bit larger. Yes, that gas price is pretty great but the minimum wage is about $1.50 US an hour. The point, that I'm poorly making, is that DVDs are a luxury here (I figure the same goes for most 3rd world countries).


Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:16 pm
Post Re: Recent DVD Purchases
The last dvd I bought was "Dark Knight"
It had some really good features, such as a series of Gotham tonight where several charactors are interviewed regarding the tamifications of Batman.
Although there was no directos commentry, which was a little disapointing.
I am thinking of getting watchmen. ( i usually get aload of dvd's at christmass)


Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:36 am
Post Re: Recent DVD Purchases
Costco double pack...

City Slickers and When Harry Met Sally...$8.99

I'm battling whether to blind buy Casablanca and Rebel without a Cause for $8.99 each.


Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:42 pm
Post Re: Recent DVD Purchases
Over the course of the past month, I've purchaced the first four volumes of the animated X-Men series, and X-Men Origins: Wolverine.


Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:01 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:31 pm
Posts: 1142
Post Re: Recent DVD Purchases
I happened to see two of my favorite horror movies, "Saw" and "The Shining", at discount prices that made both of them around $14 combined. I didn't pass on that opportunity.

_________________
My blog: http://dunkindan89.blogspot.com/

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*


Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:04 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: Recent DVD Purchases
ram1312 wrote:
Costco double pack...

City Slickers and When Harry Met Sally...$8.99

I'm battling whether to blind buy Casablanca and Rebel without a Cause for $8.99 each.



Hope you snagged those puppies. No collection is complete without 'em.


Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:29 am
Post Re: Recent DVD Purchases
HomerJ wrote:
ram1312 wrote:
Costco double pack...

City Slickers and When Harry Met Sally...$8.99

I'm battling whether to blind buy Casablanca and Rebel without a Cause for $8.99 each.



Hope you snagged those puppies. No collection is complete without 'em.


Damnit...I know it and I still have not bought them. Having watched When Harry Met Sally again...the movie is just telling me to buy Casablanca.

Tell you what...next time I'm in Costco, Casablanca (amongst others) is in the cart no matter what my wife says.

Homer...no joke, your "Top Actors" and "Top Directors" thread made me realize that I need to purchase those films that hold the test of time. Not only due to the filmmaker, but the artist portraying that vision. I want my kids to look at my collection and say..."Damn, my dad had great taste. I didn't realize it at the time, but damn, he really knew what was up. Now to pass that on to my kids." A bit dramatic, I know, but, I think that now that I look back at my father's record (vinyl) collection...I'm telling myself, "Wow, my dad was actually kind of cool."


Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:01 am
Post Re: Recent DVD Purchases
ram1312 wrote:
HomerJ wrote:
ram1312 wrote:
Costco double pack...

City Slickers and When Harry Met Sally...$8.99

I'm battling whether to blind buy Casablanca and Rebel without a Cause for $8.99 each.



Hope you snagged those puppies. No collection is complete without 'em.


Damnit...I know it and I still have not bought them. Having watched When Harry Met Sally again...the movie is just telling me to buy Casablanca.

Tell you what...next time I'm in Costco, Casablanca (amongst others) is in the cart no matter what my wife says.

Homer...no joke, your "Top Actors" and "Top Directors" thread made me realize that I need to purchase those films that hold the test of time. Not only due to the filmmaker, but the artist portraying that vision. I want my kids to look at my collection and say..."Damn, my dad had great taste. I didn't realize it at the time, but damn, he really knew what was up. Now to pass that on to my kids." A bit dramatic, I know, but, I think that now that I look back at my father's record (vinyl) collection...I'm telling myself, "Wow, my dad was actually kind of cool."


An excellent point. And it's great to have the classics on hand -- makes it easy to revisit for comparison purposes, or just for fun.

My son is 9, and it's great to share some of these classics with him. Some, of course, he's not old enough for yet, but I can't wait until he's ready to watch something like Fargo, or Alien/Aliens. I already pick out classic movie scenes that are age-appropriate, and watch with him. It's awesome to hear him quoting Jack Nicholson: "You can't HANDLE the truth!"

I lucked out with a boxed set of James Dean's movies for a good price. Can't remember where I got it -- Sam's Club, maybe? So I have East of Eden, Giant, and Rebel Without a Cause. It's neat to watch The Rocketeer with him, then pull out the scene at the Griffith Observatory from Rebel to show him how long that place has been around.


Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:30 pm
Post Re: Recent DVD Purchases
Dude...I know you fools buy movies...

Anyways...just had to tell a story. Couple of days ago my wife comes home with a bunch of stuff she bought from a Target here. The kids come rushing up to me with a, "Close your eyes Apa...we have a surprise!" So I close my eyes and they tell me to open them...to Ice Age 3.

Now listen...my wife never buys movies. NEVER! And she comes home with Ice Age 3. We don't even freaking own 1 and 2. And she goes out and buys 3. She knows I'm the movie guy. No...I'm the movie MAN here. And she goes out and buys 3.

I thought 1 and 2 we're mediocre...alright movies. Whatever. But I sure as hell didn't buy them for the family. She goes out and buys 3. SHE GOES OUT AND BUYS 3?!

I've been with this girl 12 years...6 married. And she went out and bought 3.


Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:56 pm
Post Re: Recent DVD Purchases
Attachment:
File comment: Shelovesme
PBG.jpg
PBG.jpg [ 21.98 KiB | Viewed 1777 times ]


Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:19 pm
Post Re: Recent DVD Purchases
:lol:

I can't take you major. Fucking shit....STOP!!!

:lol:


Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:27 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr