Downloaded on my PC 9%  9%  [ 6 ]
Borrowed from friends 9%  9%  [ 6 ]
Other (please explain) 11%  11%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 70

Poll #47: How do you watch movies 
Director

Post Re: Poll #47: How do you watch movies
johnny larue wrote:
5 years ago I would have been one of those "50 in the theater in a year" easy. 2 kids later and I'm lucky to get to a dozen per year at the actual multiplex or art house.

That is most definitely the truth.

Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:31 am
Critic

DylnFan96818 wrote:
johnny larue wrote:
5 years ago I would have been one of those "50 in the theater in a year" easy. 2 kids later and I'm lucky to get to a dozen per year at the actual multiplex or art house.

A major reason my wife and I want to wait till we're ~30 to have kids. That's 7 more years of 50 theatrical movies a year!

Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:01 am
You guys are lucky. Locally, the very idea of a library having dvds is absurd. Just books here. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:40 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
DylnFan96818 wrote:
johnny larue wrote:

A major reason my wife and I want to wait till we're ~30 to have kids. That's 7 more years of 50 theatrical movies a year!

Hold strong James. My wife and I said we'd wait about 2 or 3 years to have "our time."

9 months and 1 week later my first boy was born. 22 months later my girl was born. Now "our time" will have to wait when my 3rd gets kicked out of the house at 18 years of age.

Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:45 pm
Critic

ram1312 wrote:
Hold strong James. My wife and I said we'd wait about 2 or 3 years to have "our time."

9 months and 1 week later my first boy was born. 22 months later my girl was born. Now "our time" will have to wait when my 3rd gets kicked out of the house at 18 years of age.

Oh poor Ram that makes me sad. Yet I also laughed quite a bit. In any event...here's to the low failure rates of oral contraceptives!

Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:48 pm
One of my favourite things on this forum (there are many) is when ram brings up his virility. You should appropriate the term "genetic jack-hammer".

Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:22 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
One of my favourite things on this forum (there are many) is when ram brings up his virility. You should appropriate the term "genetic jack-hammer".

Or the name of "ram" could be seen as pretty fitting.

Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:27 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
You guys are lucky. Locally, the very idea of a library having dvds is absurd. Just books here. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I'd like to extend an invitation to you, Ed. Visit the United States of America; our libraries carry compact discs and DVDs, our bookstores sell delicious cappuccino to go along with a newly-purchased Blu-Ray and Wal-Marts stretch to the horizon and back. America, where your bottled water is labeled "Completely Bioavailable" and the whores fucked by scum politicians later get a layout in Playboy.

Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:47 pm
Critic

majoraphasia wrote:
America, where your bottled water is labeled "Completely Bioavailable" and the whores fucked by scum politicians later get a layout in Playboy.

*Is vaguely unnerved by levels of bitterness* We did manage to pretty much shape the entire history of motion pictures though. So we got that going for us

Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:09 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
America, where your bottled water is labeled "Completely Bioavailable" and the whores fucked by scum politicians later get a layout in Playboy.

*Is vaguely unnerved by levels of bitterness* We did manage to pretty much shape the entire history of motion pictures though. So we got that going for us

If I didn't take the great with the bad I'd be writing this message from Sweden. I'm hopeful if not exactly cheerfully optimistic.

Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:29 pm
Damnit...I love you guys.

You mother effers...

You guys always give me a good laugh...or at least an education.

Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:09 pm
Director

It's an even mix of most. If I was forced to choose one, it was downloading, I wish I had more money.

Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:34 pm
Profile YIM
Out of curiousity....

Does anybody here ever watch movies on I-pods or PSP's?

The only reason I ask is because the kids around here love to try to watch their movies on these tiny screens.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:22 pm
ram1312 wrote:
Out of curiousity....

The only reason I ask is because the kids around here love to try to watch their movies on these tiny screens.

I don't have have those things...and even I did, I don't think I would.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:26 pm
Patrick wrote:
ram1312 wrote:
Out of curiousity....

I don't have have those things...and even I did, I don't think I would.

I have a PSP and a friend of mine gave me two movies on UMD-Starship Troopers and Bad Boys. And I did watch Bad Boys one day, and watching movies on the PSP isn't so bad despite the small screen, as long as you have the volume all the way up and full battery power.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:39 pm
I used to go to the cinema 100+ times a year - now it's less than 10

I used to buy 250 DVD's a year - now it's less than 10

I used to rent 300+ films a year now it's less than 40

I watch between 300-400 films a year

Rob

Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:21 pm
Critic

Robert Holloway wrote:
I used to go to the cinema 100+ times a year - now it's less than 10

I used to buy 250 DVD's a year - now it's less than 10

I used to rent 300+ films a year now it's less than 40

I watch between 300-400 films a year

Rob

That doesn´t give much insight into your viewing habits. Do you buy a shit-ton of films?

Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:26 am
I go to the movie theatre about two times a week, buy about 6 DVDs a month, 2 blu-rays a month and download movies - and specially TV series - to my PC from time to time.

Tue May 04, 2010 12:45 am
Sebastian wrote:
I go to the movie theatre about two times a week, buy about 6 DVDs a month, 2 blu-rays a month and download movies - and specially TV series - to my PC from time to time.

Hey Seb, are those original DVDs/Blu-rays? I remember the first thread I posted in at Reelviews was your Piracy thread where I pretty much agreed with everything you had to say.

Tue May 04, 2010 2:27 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Sebastian wrote:

Hey Seb, are those original DVDs/Blu-rays? I remember the first thread I posted in at Reelviews was your Piracy thread where I pretty much agreed with everything you had to say.

I'd say about 80% of my DVDs are pirate copies... because getting them here in Peru is ridiculously easy (some pirate "stores" have have ads on newspapers/magazines, and I've even seen cops buying pirate DVDs), because they are incredibly cheap and because getting original DVDs of rare films (or old movies even) is almost impossible.

On the other hand, ALL of my blu-rays are original copies that I've either ordered through Amazon.com or bought in the States. I don't plan to buy pirate copies for the moment because the price difference between them and the originals isn't as big as in the case of DVDs. that's only a matter of waiting, though. oh, and I also don'y buy 'em because some of them don't look as good (or HD-ish) as the original ones.

(BTW, I've seen blu-ray copies of the starwars movies in some stores despite the fact that Star Wars hasn't been released on Blu-Ray yet... and the films themselves looked better than a standard DVD but worse than a normal blu-ray... what *are* these copies? O.O)
oh, and thanks for remembering that particular post, it's been some time since I wrote in here :D

Tue May 04, 2010 4:12 pm