Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:36 am

April 5, 2010: "Pimping" 
Post Re: April 5, 2010: "Pimping"
Ken wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
I blame the people

There's a decreasing interest in thoughtful discussion.

Everyone wants simplistic soundbites, in fact discussion or argument is almost feared.

I remember debating a point at a dinner a few years ago and everyone round the table stopping and staring at me for disagreeing. I felt like I was in some distopian future and then realized that this was Marin California 2007 and most attendees were either lobotomized or brain dead.

Sad world we live in
Rob
I hope this piece by A.O. Scott serves equally well as corroboration and rebuttal for your argument.

Aw crap, I just bumped the At the Movies thread to post that link. That teaches me to wait a few days before reading a Reelthoughts.

Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:51 am
I really have to disagree with your criticism of Entertainment Weekly and its critics, Owen Gleiberman and Lisa Schwarzbaum. There are several critics I go to online consistently. You, Roger Ebert, Roeper, and EW. I've never read a reveiw on EW that I felt was being "pimped" by any motion picture company. Just because Owen Gleiberman didn't criticize the 3D in Clash of the Titans doesn't mean 1) that he liked it or 2) that he was paid off some how.

In fact, I can remember specifically an example that shows the independence of EW's critics. Summer of 2006, the big movie was Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest. EW did a cover story on it, but in the SAME issue, Lisa Schwarzbaum reviewed the movie and gave it a D+. It even has one of my favorite quotes by a critic: "Pirates 2.0 is a theme ride, if by ride you mean a hellish contraption into which a ticket holder is strapped, overstimulated but unsatisfied, and unable to disengage until the operator releases the restraining harness. "

I love your website, even when I disagree with your reviews or your thoughts, so this is meant out of respect, but sometimes, it seems as if you form and state opinions without much to back them up.

Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:03 pm
Gaffer

I think in the future you should consider taking that deal. Those "skin" adds that frame websites are frequently on sites I trust, and if that means having a firm rule that the review won't go up until the week of the ad is over, then I, and I believe most of the people who like your site, would understand. I also think the skinning ads make the sites look pretty good. If hosting an ad like that would really help your bottom line, waiting a week for your review is a price I would be willing to pay. I'm glad you have standards that are important to you, and that is one of the main reasons why I always come here, but I don't want those standards to keep you from profiting for providing this service for us. Just keep the ads and the review separate from each other and I would hope people would respect that.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:35 pm
Site Admin

Kubrick wrote:
I really have to disagree with your criticism of Entertainment Weekly and its critics, Owen Gleiberman and Lisa Schwarzbaum. There are several critics I go to online consistently. You, Roger Ebert, Roeper, and EW. I've never read a reveiw on EW that I felt was being "pimped" by any motion picture company. Just because Owen Gleiberman didn't criticize the 3D in Clash of the Titans doesn't mean 1) that he liked it or 2) that he was paid off some how.

In fact, I can remember specifically an example that shows the independence of EW's critics. Summer of 2006, the big movie was Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest. EW did a cover story on it, but in the SAME issue, Lisa Schwarzbaum reviewed the movie and gave it a D+. It even has one of my favorite quotes by a critic: "Pirates 2.0 is a theme ride, if by ride you mean a hellish contraption into which a ticket holder is strapped, overstimulated but unsatisfied, and unable to disengage until the operator releases the restraining harness. "

I love your website, even when I disagree with your reviews or your thoughts, so this is meant out of respect, but sometimes, it seems as if you form and state opinions without much to back them up.

Guess you didn't bother to actually read the commentary. The only mention I make of Gleiberman is to say that his review is the only prose where 3-D is given a mildly-negative mention. I don't mention Schwarzbaum at all. I make some disparaging comments about EW as a whole but am careful not to direct those darts at the critics.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:41 pm
Profile WWW
The same unethical technique is used every day in medicine. Doctors are courted by manufacturers of medications or medical devices - given free meals and gadgets in the guise of "educating" the Doctor about the thing the rep is trying to sell, in reality trying to influence the Doc to pimp themselves and use/prescribe the drug or device in question.

The organization "No Free Lunch" was established to urge Medical Practitioners to "practicing medicine in the best interest of my patients and on the basis of the best available evidence, rather than on the basis of advertising or promotion." They ask Providers to pledge:

"I therefore pledge to accept no money, gifts, or hospitality from the pharmaceutical industry; to seek unbiased sources of information and not rely on information disseminated by drug companies; and to avoid conflicts of interest in my practice, teaching, and/or research."

Curious that in the recent copious discussion about the recently passed healthcare reform bill that there was no effort to curtail "Pharmaceutical Pimping" or to attempt Malpractice Reform.

James - I join the other voices here who come to read your reasoned and well-measured words. I find I disagree with you less than any other film critic I've read, but as others have pointed out, you back up your positions in a way that must be respected, even if I disagree.

Strong work, Sir.

Thu May 27, 2010 2:44 am
Boatdoc61 wrote:
The same unethical technique is used every day in medicine. Doctors are courted by manufacturers of medications or medical devices - given free meals and gadgets in the guise of "educating" the Doctor about the thing the rep is trying to sell, in reality trying to influence the Doc to pimp themselves and use/prescribe the drug or device in question.

The organization "No Free Lunch" was established to urge Medical Practitioners to "practicing medicine in the best interest of my patients and on the basis of the best available evidence, rather than on the basis of advertising or promotion." They ask Providers to pledge:

"I therefore pledge to accept no money, gifts, or hospitality from the pharmaceutical industry; to seek unbiased sources of information and not rely on information disseminated by drug companies; and to avoid conflicts of interest in my practice, teaching, and/or research."

Curious that in the recent copious discussion about the recently passed healthcare reform bill that there was no effort to curtail "Pharmaceutical Pimping" or to attempt Malpractice Reform.

James - I join the other voices here who come to read your reasoned and well-measured words. I find I disagree with you less than any other film critic I've read, but as others have pointed out, you back up your positions in a way that must be respected, even if I disagree.

Strong work, Sir.

Welcome and well-said. I hope you're around if I ever need a doctor...while I'm on a boat.

Thu May 27, 2010 1:24 pm