All the time, my friends got excellent taste 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Most of the time, my friends have good taste 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
Some of the time, my friends have decent taste 39%  39%  [ 9 ]
A few times, my friends have weak taste with occasional flukes. 35%  35%  [ 8 ]
NEVER! 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 23

Poll #46: Word-of-Mouth of friends 
Post Poll #46: Word-of-Mouth of friends
And now the last part of these Why We Watch Movies For External Reasons, how often does your friends praising movies gets you into a movie you wouldn't otherwise see?

Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:07 am
Post Re: Poll #46: Word-of-Mouth of friends
A few times, every so often my friends will talk about some movie and how good it is and I'll see it.

Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:09 am
Director

Some of the time, they'll put in a good word for a film.

Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:28 am
Profile YIM
Depends on the friend, really. Most of my friends are into mainstream cinema. That means we mostly go to see stuff like Transformers. I can live with that though. However, I have a couple of friends with similar taste and if they really recommend something I'll check it out regardless. Translation: I went with with "Most of the time". Actually, even if one of my friends with shitty taste asks me to really check something out I will. Isn't that what friends do?

Patrick wrote:
And now the last part of these Why We Watch Movies For External Reasons, how often does your friends praising movies gets you into a movie you wouldn't otherwise see?

Dammit! I thought this series was to prove to the Reelviews crowd how independent our movie watching tastes were and how we never listen to anyone.

Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:44 am
It's not so much that my friends have "terrible" taste. It's that my friends and I have very different tastes sometimes. So it all depends on what friend is recommending something...

One of my best friends is a mindless action junkie, movies that I love too...but if he says "don't see The White Ribbon it's terrible!" you can bet I won't listen to his advice on that one...not that he would ever see The White Ribbon but you get my drift.

Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:23 am
Well I don't really have many friends so I just went with "most of the time" My female best friend has pretty much the same taste in films that I do, she loves stuf like Crank 2 and hates stuff like Twilight, I really couldn't ask for a better friend! :D

Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:53 am
Never. Not to say that my friends have bad taste, but I can't think of the last time I went to see a movie because one of my friends told me it was good.

Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:32 pm
I have two or three friends that have similar tastes in film as me. They're both filmmakers. All of my other friends either watch middling, mainstream crap (especially my co-workers, Jesus Christ) or good things that I discovered a while ago (e.g. Fight Club).

Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:06 pm
Director

Never. Most of my friends have a much different tatse in movies than I do anyway.

Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:26 am
I have ONE friend whom I trust to pick a movie, otherwise, the rest.. Their taste sucks. Conversely, I'm the only one they trust to pick the movie.

Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:01 am
Ken wrote:
Never. Not to say that my friends have bad taste, but I can't think of the last time I went to see a movie because one of my friends told me it was good.

Whoa Ken, never? Forget "going to see a movie". Have you never checked out something on DVD after a friend put in a good word?

Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:00 pm
"Never," taken literally, is a bit extreme. I'm sure I've seen a movie or two at some point in my life after a friend told me it was good, but I'm using "never" in the heuristic sense. Take it to mean "This is such an infrequent part of my experience that it doesn't make sense to characterize it in any other way."

Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:19 pm
Where is the 'I have seen so many movies that there are none my friends have seen that I havent and I'm the one they listen to' option

Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:42 pm
Only very occasionally. They don't have similar tastes to mine. They enjoy the mindless stuff consistently and I do not. Only one of the my friends likes the more artsy films.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:40 pm
Virtually never but a few recommendations sneak through to my DVD player. The one friend that could be called a movie guff tends to favor cheapy horror movies and I've seen a few based on his enthusiastic response. Maniac was one such good one.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:45 pm