Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:28 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
April 5, 2010: "Pimping" 
Author Message
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3150
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post April 5, 2010: "Pimping"
Click here to read topic.


Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:13 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:28 pm
Posts: 1537
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Post Re: April 5, 2010: "Pimping"
He's dead on about current day journalism.

Here's the perfect example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGUjb4pT81Q


Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:59 pm
Profile YIM
Post Re: April 5, 2010: "Pimping"
It can be a hard choice between keeping one's principles intact and keeping one's stomach full. Ultimately, it's up to the individual, but there will always be consequences for choosing the latter over the former. I haven't respected anything written by high-gloss mags like Entertainment Weekly or Rolling Stone for years, because I know they will pimp themselves out to Hollywood or the music industry respectively.

The taint that comes from whoring out one's principles is unfortunately one that is very difficult to erase. I'm glad JB hasn't succumbed yet, as there are a great many people in this forum (including myself) that put stock into his words. Hopefully, a way can be found to keep this site afloat without the need to sell out.


Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:00 pm
Post Re: April 5, 2010: "Pimping"
It happens in video game reviews too.

http://kotaku.com/328244/gamespot-editor-fired-over-kane--lynch-review


Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:29 pm
Post Re: April 5, 2010: "Pimping"
So, who's going to start the speculating on which movie James is talking about at the end?


Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:23 am
Post Re: April 5, 2010: "Pimping"
So that's why they say pimpin' ain't easy. Moral conundrums. It all makes sense now. ;)


Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:27 am
Post Re: April 5, 2010: "Pimping"
BrianB wrote:
So, who's going to start the speculating on which movie James is talking about at the end?


Although not likely, this would make a fun competition thread. :P

Just throwing it out there for fun, not expecting to get answers, but I'm guessing either How to Train Your Dragon or Alice in Wonderland, with an off-chance it might be The Green Zone.


Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:13 am
Post Re: April 5, 2010: "Pimping"
I was thinking She's Out of My League, but that's just me.


Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:14 am
Post Re: April 5, 2010: "Pimping"
I blame the people

There's a decreasing interest in thoughtful discussion.

Everyone wants simplistic soundbites, in fact discussion or argument is almost feared.

I remember debating a point at a dinner a few years ago and everyone round the table stopping and staring at me for disagreeing. I felt like I was in some distopian future and then realized that this was Marin California 2007 and most attendees were either lobotomized or brain dead.

Sad world we live in
Rob


Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:42 am
Post Re: April 5, 2010: "Pimping"
Robert Holloway wrote:
I blame the people

There's a decreasing interest in thoughtful discussion.

Everyone wants simplistic soundbites, in fact discussion or argument is almost feared.

I remember debating a point at a dinner a few years ago and everyone round the table stopping and staring at me for disagreeing. I felt like I was in some distopian future and then realized that this was Marin California 2007 and most attendees were either lobotomized or brain dead.

Sad world we live in
Rob
I hope this piece by A.O. Scott serves equally well as corroboration and rebuttal for your argument.


Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:09 am
Second Unit Director

Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:52 pm
Posts: 274
Location: North Carolina
Post Re: April 5, 2010: "Pimping"
I come to JB's web site not because I always agree with him, but because I can trust his viewpoint, regardless of whether I agree or not. If that trust is gone, I might as well be reading my daughter's subscription to Entertainment Weekly. I hope that the studios (i.e., the ad sellers) eventually recognize that sites like these fill an important niche, and that making ridiculous deals to postpone publication of honest reviews hurts a portion (albeit small) of their business in the long run.


Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:54 am
Profile
Post Re: April 5, 2010: "Pimping"
"The question, however, is not what we're being told, but whether or not we believe it. "

I like that last line a lot James. A very well written and in depth Reelthoughts.

Would you have taken the ad revenue if they didn't care that the review was bad, and that you put it up on time? I only ask because if that was the case I probably would have taken the deal personally.


Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:40 am
Post Re: April 5, 2010: "Pimping"
Colin wrote:
"The question, however, is not what we're being told, but whether or not we believe it. "

I like that last line a lot James. A very well written and in depth Reelthoughts.

Would you have taken the ad revenue if they didn't care that the review was bad, and that you put it up on time? I only ask because if that was the case I probably would have taken the deal personally.
Yeah same here, i'd accept the deal in that case, unless it was a Twilight movie of course, no amount of money is worth sitting through one of those abominations! :evil:


Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:48 am
Post Re: April 5, 2010: "Pimping"
I read decent websites with 'skins' on all the time and i don't think any the less. if you can make decent money out of it then definitely go for it.


Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:14 pm
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3150
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post Re: April 5, 2010: "Pimping"
BrianB wrote:
So, who's going to start the speculating on which movie James is talking about at the end?


I signed an NDA so I can't reveal the title. Feel free to speculate, but I can neither confirm nor deny any guesses...


Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:18 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Posts: 3150
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA
Post Re: April 5, 2010: "Pimping"
Colin wrote:
"The question, however, is not what we're being told, but whether or not we believe it. "

I like that last line a lot James. A very well written and in depth Reelthoughts.

Would you have taken the ad revenue if they didn't care that the review was bad, and that you put it up on time? I only ask because if that was the case I probably would have taken the deal personally.


It took a long time to write and a longer time to edit. The final version is about 2100 words; the original was over 2600. I thought about breaking it into two pieces but that would have ruined the continuity of the piece, so I just took a pair of pruning shears to it to chop it down to a meaningful size.

I feel uncomfortable appearing to endorse a movie I don't like, so I probably wouldn't have taken the deal even if they had been okay with a negative review. I would take this kind of deal if I saw and liked the movie beforehand. I have no problem promoting a movie I like. The conflict comes from promoting something I don't like. Makes me feel like a hypocrite.


Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:24 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: April 5, 2010: "Pimping"
I noted that James didn't mention Avatar in this article, considering that the 3-D element of the movie was being hyped long before it's release and long before media drones could possibly have even seen the movie...

A friend of mine works fairly high up in music journalism in the UK. I won't mention him by name as it wouldn't be hard to then go looking for him. To this end I'll also not mention who he works for or his position. This chap went to the states to interview a rock band (who will also remain nameless) and was treated rather well when in their company (drinks, food etc). The band ended up getting a rather bad live review in the end... just shows you that there are still some honest people in journalism!

The newspapers and news shows in the UK don't write/broadcast to inform any more, they simply want to intimidate and patronise the public into believing whatever hype is being cooked up at the time. A good example is "climate change". There has been very' little written about this lately, possibly because people are bored of hearing scare stories and having money taken from them when nothing is actually happening.


Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:17 pm
Post Re: April 5, 2010: "Pimping"
peng wrote:
BrianB wrote:
So, who's going to start the speculating on which movie James is talking about at the end?


Although not likely, this would make a fun competition thread. :P

Just throwing it out there for fun, not expecting to get answers, but I'm guessing either How to Train Your Dragon or Alice in Wonderland, with an off-chance it might be The Green Zone.


I was gonna say Avatar. That movie had a crazy marketing budget.

Dragonbeard wrote:
I noted that James didn't mention Avatar in this article.


Further proof, considering James's NDA............ (okay maybe not, BUT STILL)


Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:53 am
Post Re: April 5, 2010: "Pimping"
Well, he said "recently" and it's been a bit over three months between Avatar and this article. If he referred to Avatar it would be a phrase like "a while back," imo.

And I think why he didn't mention Avatar is that it met the hype (mostly about the quality of 3D and some other stuff) so it doesn't count into false journalism.


Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:22 am
Post Re: April 5, 2010: "Pimping"
I believe it's the peoples' responsibility to know the difference between a sell-out review and an honest, thoughtful one. They're not that hard to spot, especially if you spend some time reading the greats, like JB here. I don't blame Hollywood for throwing money around; if a reviewer or publication is really that easy to buy, they're not worth reading, anyway. It's unfortunate that we live in a world today where an objective art like film criticism is something that can be lobotomized into pseudo-guerilla advertising. But I believe, more and more so when we think about things like this, that critical thinking is an increasingly valuable skill in the Information Age. When a person's opinion is more valuable for it's money than it's honesty, it becomes important to listen carefully to what's being said, and ask yourself, "is this real?"

Pimping should never be easy. If it is, it ain't bein' done right!


Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:04 am
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr