Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:55 pm

THE LIFE OF EMILE ZOLA (1937) 
Site Admin

Post THE LIFE OF EMILE ZOLA (1937)
Click here for the review of The Life of Emile Zola (1937)

Best Picture winner at the 1938 Oscar ceremony.

Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:20 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Post Re: THE LIFE OF EMILE ZOLA (1937)
I have a videotape of this that I've never watched. Guess it's time.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:35 pm
Because the review doesn't mention it, I'm wondering whether the film omits the fact that Dreyfus was a Jew and the Dreyfus-affair a cause célèbre for anti-semitism (or rather opposition to anti-semitism). From my vague memories of history lessons in school, that was the main reason why the Dreyfus-affair was so important.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:45 am
Gaffer

Unke wrote:
Because the review doesn't mention it, I'm wondering whether the film omits the fact that Dreyfus was a Jew and the Dreyfus-affair a cause célèbre for anti-semitism (or rather opposition to anti-semitism). From my vague memories of history lessons in school, that was the main reason why the Dreyfus-affair was so important.

It doesn't explicitly state that the reason Dreyfus was singled out was because he was Jewish. There is a line from one of the officers wondering "how someone like him" rose up the ranks, but that's pretty much it. I've read some criticisms of the movie for not mentioning the anti-semitism.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:28 pm
Producer

abwiz74 wrote:
Unke wrote:

It doesn't explicitly state that the reason Dreyfus was singled out was because he was Jewish. There is a line from one of the officers wondering "how someone like him" rose up the ranks, but that's pretty much it. I've read some criticisms of the movie for not mentioning the anti-semitism.

Finally watched it after all these years! If you look at his entry in the list of officers, it does mention that he's a Jew. It would have been featured much more prominently if the film had been made ten years later. It's also not mentioned that, despite all the exonerating evidence, Dreyfus was found guilty in his second trial. That was so ridiculous the French President pardoned him (although it still took years before the French Army admitted Dreyfus was innocent and reinstated him). I can see why there wouldn't be a second trial scene; it would be an anticlimax after the amazing libel trial.

I liked Morris Carnovsky as Anatole France and Donald Crisp as Maitre Labori. The movie's got a fine supporting cast that gets overshadowed by Paul Muni, because it is, after all Zola's story.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:20 am