Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:09 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
"Classics" that you dislike 
Post Re: "Classics" that you dislike
Robert Holloway wrote:
Here's the problem
Appreciating classics for many is an age thing
I had zero interest pre 30 and the suddenly I became curious
21 years later it's the only way :-)
Maybe it's all about mortality?
Rob

I don't feel it necessarily has to do with age. My favorite films include Casablanca, Apocalypse Now, The Godfather, Fitzcarraldo, They Shoot Horses, Don't They?, The Wages of Fear. When Harry Met Sally... and Manhattan are two of the best romantic comedies I've seen (if you can call that junk starring McConaughey and Lopez romantic comedies). 2001: A Space Odyssey and Aguirre: the Wrath of God are both infinitely fascinating. I'm about a third of the way through My Dinner With Andre (and loving it) and a few of the films that I'm going to be watching soon are La Dolce Vita, Make Way for Tomorrow and Tokyo Story.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:40 pm
JJoshay wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Here's the problem
Appreciating classics for many is an age thing
I had zero interest pre 30 and the suddenly I became curious
21 years later it's the only way :-)
Maybe it's all about mortality?
Rob

I don't feel it necessarily has to do with age. My favorite films include Casablanca, Apocalypse Now, The Godfather, Fitzcarraldo, They Shoot Horses, Don't They?, The Wages of Fear. When Harry Met Sally... and Manhattan are two of the best romantic comedies I've seen (if you can call that junk starring McConaughey and Lopez romantic comedies). 2001: A Space Odyssey and Aguirre: the Wrath of God are both infinitely fascinating. I'm about a third of the way through My Dinner With Andre (and loving it) and a few of the films that I'm going to be watching soon are La Dolce Vita, Make Way for Tomorrow and Tokyo Story.

(1) Rob qualified his age comment. But you're right. Wisdom has its benefits but doesn't necessarily lead to a person waking up and appreciating great art (see: 99% of America's taste).

(2) Jjoshay, we all know you're a 58-year-old woman posing as a male undergrad. Now go play your Canasta with the "girls".

Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:46 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
(2) Jjoshay, we all know you're a 58-year-old woman posing as a male undergrad. Now go play your Canasta with the "girls".

Ah! You got me! I'm gonna go watch Lifetime and knit. *sigh* So content.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:16 pm
Director

Quote:
I don't want to sound like a turd here, but... Did anyone actually learn anything from Ikiru? Did anyone not find everything said within exceedingly obvious? I suppose not (how else could it have been made?), but I mean... Come on people! Of course you should work for good and get a job doing something useful that you enjoy and not waste your life and embrace love and be selfless! It's just all so clear! Why do we need a film about it?!

what rating did you give it?

Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:02 pm
calvero wrote:
Quote:
I don't want to sound like a turd here, but... Did anyone actually learn anything from Ikiru? Did anyone not find everything said within exceedingly obvious? I suppose not (how else could it have been made?), but I mean... Come on people! Of course you should work for good and get a job doing something useful that you enjoy and not waste your life and embrace love and be selfless! It's just all so clear! Why do we need a film about it?!

what rating did you give it?

6, although on an entertainment level it was probably more like a 5. I couldn't bring myself to give it that rating, because I don't think Kurosawa was capable of anything less than complete technical perfection and when mentally "rating" a movie the formalist forces me to consider those factors strongly. I may not love Kurosawa, but the man could direct like few others.

Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:36 pm
I recently saw The Maltese Falcon and I thought it was very well made and everything but it didn't wow me. I may be the only person on earth who thinks this but I find Humphrey Bogart's voice for the most part annoying. I don't know what it is. His voice just annoys me. I also don't like the whole style with him saying 'angel' or 'darling' every other second and having to kiss every woman he looks at.
I enjoyed the film and like I said it's extremely well made but it left me cold. I couldn't have cared less if Bogart's character were killed halfway through.
If my tastes in film is bad because of this then so be it. It has nothing to do with it being a black and white/old film. I love many older black and white/older films.

Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:31 pm
Cinematographer

I think the classics that come to mind that I didn't find to be that great were Chinatown and One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest.

Chinatown I knew very little going in, and I did not think it was a very good thriller. It was hard for me to care about the water issue, and when we found out about the incest, I felt like that scene was just stupid. You know, the one where Jack Nicholson is slapping the girl. I do think however, that the last scene where she gets shot and crashes the car is brilliant.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest was ruined for me because I read the book. It really just doesn't compare. At all. I think the biggest spoiler for me was how in the movie Nicholson tries to strangle Nurse Ratchet, while in the book he rips her blouse off, exposing the breasts that Kesey (the author) describes throughout the novel. I'm don't want it to seem like I'm just a horny teenager who was waiting for some tits, but I thought it was a much better ending to the book because it showed her humanism, if just for a small time. It showed that it took someone to rip through her persona (literally) for her personality to actually come out. So that was disappointing... Other than that it was just ok...

Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:51 am
Very interesting opinions by many people in this thread. I personally don't know how anyone who loves film can have such negative feelings about some of these movies, but there you go.

i suppose since I'm posting, I have to give one of my own. It would have to be Scent of a Woman. Man, I hate that movie, and it is a travesty that Pacino won an Oscar for THAT film! So many Oscar-worthy (whatever that means) performances in his career, and he wins for that?? I'm just happy that blind people were not able to see his depiction of one of their own. Horrible. What else? The terrible speech followed by the infamous "slow clap" build to full applause... just everything. Awful

Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:38 am
Director

Gone With The Wind. Not a terrible movie. But an ehhh at best one. Interminable and quite dated. I like Casablanca a lot better.

The English Patient. A "new" classic and one I would rather sit through Gone With The Wind than watch again. Overlong and boring.

The Sound Of Music. The hills are alive...with the sound of mucus!

My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Not a classic per se. But quite overrated. So much raving about it and it turned out to be not that different from the assembly line Hollywood romantic comedies.

The Sixth Sense. A film that hinged on a plot twist that I figured out halfway through.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:56 am
Jeff Wilder wrote:
Gone With The Wind. Not a terrible movie. But an ehhh at best one. Interminable and quite dated. I like Casablanca a lot better.

The English Patient. A "new" classic and one I would rather sit through Gone With The Wind than watch again. Overlong and boring.

My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Not a classic per se. But quite overrated. So much raving about it and it turned out to be not that different from the assembly line Hollywood romantic comedies.

The Sixth Sense. A film that hinged on a plot twist that I figured out halfway through.

Alright! Someone else who hates Sound Of Music! :)

Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:07 pm
Classics that let me down include:

The Seventh Seal - Pretentious, boring, bland, blunt, pacing is off, and story-telling was lacking.
Blade Runner - Boring and completely pointless.
Rashomon - Horrible acting and horrendous story-telling.
Pulp Fiction - I didn't think it was bad or horrible, but I didn't like it. Narrative is interesting; dialogue, acting, and everything else was good. It just didn't draw me in as an audience.
Seven Samurai - Sub-par acting, drags on for too long, and fight scenes weren't great. The Western counterpart The Magnificent Seven was better.
Raging Bull - Very hard to appreciate the main character, but everything else was good.
Amadeus - The way Mozart was portrayed made me unsatisfied.

These are merely some of the classics that I felt I did not really enjoy or that I felt really let down. Nothing more. They may be great films to others, but to me, its hard to claim it as that.

Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:15 pm
Director

HAL 9000 wrote:
Raging Bull - Very hard to appreciate the main character, but everything else was good.

The same problem I had with "GoodFellas." It probably goes to show why Ray Liotta never made it as a leading man. :?

Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:23 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:

I do too, not least because it ends at the point where it starts getting a little interesting. Where is the Luftwaffe when you need them?

Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:33 pm
Second Unit Director

I don't care much for Bonny and Clyde.

And while I don't consider it a classic, but someone mentioned Ferris Beuller's Day Off. Just the plot synopsis irritates me to the point that I've never been able to force myself to watch it. My wife insists that I'll like it and that I need to at least give it a chance. So I'll probably have to watch it someday soon. :(

Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:37 pm
Vexer wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:

Yeah, I'm not a fan of The Sound of Bullshit either probably because my sisters and I watched it all the time as kids, which made me tire of the movie fast! Speaking of Julie Andrews, another title for this list would be Mary Poppins for the same reasons

Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:34 am
oafolay wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:

Yeah, I'm not a fan of The Sound of Bullshit either probably because my sisters and I watched it all the time as kids, which made me tire of the movie fast! Speaking of Julie Andrews, another title for this list would be Mary Poppins for the same reasons

Yeah, my mom and sister LOVE Sound Of Music for reasons that escape me.

Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:41 am
Anything by George Stevens, Nicholas Ray, Frank Capra, and to an extent Preston Sturges. And Once Upon a Time in the West; fuck that movie.

Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:25 am
Not that I dislike To Kill a Mockingbird, but it is about as whitewashed as race-themed dramas can get.

Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:28 pm
MGamesCook wrote:
Frank Capra

But It's a Wonderful Life is so... well, wonderful :(

Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:19 pm
Director

Quote:
Anything by George Stevens, Nicholas Ray, Frank Capra, and to an extent Preston Sturges

whoah Preston Sturges??? You seemed to be a great fan of his after your mini marathon of his films, what happened?

Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:24 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next