Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:30 pm

Poll #45: Listening to critics 

How often do you watch movies based off of critical impressions?
All the time, I don't make a move unless somebody says so. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Most of the time, if there's something I REALLY REALLY want to see, I'll see it regardless. 25%  25%  [ 5 ]
Some of the time, if I'm on the fence on something then I'll listen. 50%  50%  [ 10 ]
A few times, for movies I haven't heard of. 20%  20%  [ 4 ]
NEVER! 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 20

Poll #45: Listening to critics 
Post Poll #45: Listening to critics
Now since the last poll was about you watching movies to impress people, this poll is about you watching movies since a critic said it was good...so do you and to what degree?

Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:06 pm
Post Re: Poll #45: Listening to critics
To me, critics are a good guide but I will watch whatever I want regardless.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:07 pm
Eh, I just whatever look good to me, regardless of how many positive or negative reviews they get, I don't like letting critics dictate what films I see.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:12 pm
"movies I haven't heard of."

The closest answer for me. I can use criticism to find out about movies and enrich my perspective on stuff I've already seen, but I don't go to critics to decide whether or not I'm going to see something.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:42 pm
'A few times' for me as I don't get to see many new releases in a timely fashion and pick based on what looks interesting. Critics can sometimes fuel the fire but, at this point, critical accolades aren't enough to spark interest*.

*See Avatar, Million Dollar Baby, and 95% of applauded biopics for examples. Positive notices for the dull and obligatory 'Frost/Nixon' was among my last burns.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:52 pm
"Some of the time" for me. I'm not sure how to answer because I rarely use how critics feel about a movie to decide on me seeing a movie. I don't normally read reviews until after the fact. I'm more interested in what someone has to say about a movie than am I with how much they liked it. However, laudatory praise has been known to get me into a theater. For instance, I'll be seeing How to Train Your Dragon this weekend due to the overwhelmingly positive reviews. A 97% on RottenTomatoes and a 3.5 star review from James will usually get my butt in a seat.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:10 pm
PeachyPete wrote:
A 97% on RottenTomatoes and a 3.5 star review from James will usually get my butt in a seat.

That used to be true for me but, after last year's Top Ten list paid roaring exultation to major studio pictures I figured it was time to cut the proverbial cord. I now stick with Slant Magazine and some of this forum's membership for my critical go-to. Ebert, too.

Disclaimer: it was a joke! Don't take the bait.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:16 pm
Critic

majoraphasia wrote:
'A few times' for me as I don't get to see many new releases in a timely fashion and pick based on what looks interesting. Critics can sometimes fuel the fire but, at this point, critical accolades aren't enough to spark interest*.

*See Avatar, Million Dollar Baby, and 95% of applauded biopics for examples. Positive notices for the dull and obligatory 'Frost/Nixon' was among my last burns.

Better Frost/Nixon than fucking Milk

Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:04 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

Better Frost/Nixon than fucking Milk

How about neither and watching Three Stooges shorts instead?

Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:41 pm
Director

I'll listen to some of the critics, but I can see a film without their blessing.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:14 pm
Profile YIM
I chose the some of the time option, but only because the latter half of the statement applies more to my standing. For example, I decided on seeing The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo because James gave it ***1/2 (and screwed me over in the contest). I would have waited for DVD if he had given it ***. However, this isn't a frequent thing, nor is it dependent on a good review (e.g. Antichrist). To further illustrate this difference: I'll probably watch Vincere regardless of whether James gives it **1/2, ***, or ***1/2. Conversely, I'm never going to watch The Uninvited, even though James gave it ***. I guess what I'm saying is that more than nine times out of ten, I'll see a movie based on what footage I've seen, what I know about the project (talent involved, basic story, etc.), and my work schedule. Critics rarely factor in, but factor in they do.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:41 am
Director

A few, for movies I haven't heard of. This was the philosophy I used to watch movies when Siskel and Ebert were on in the mid-19902, especially when they were trying to get anyone to see "Hoop Dreams", and to a lesser extent "Rob Roy" and its climatic swordfight. This continued with Roeper and his continuing guests, especially A.O. Scott who turned me on to Romanian films, such as "4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days" and "12:08 East of Bucharest".

I will not listen or bother with a critic who thinks he is better than me or has a tendency to lean that way with their writings. One that comes to mind is Scott Weinberg (Cinematical.com), who came across as a whiny little bitch after the Kevin Smith/Cop Out flap when that came out and reeks of how hihgly he thinks of his own opinion. Douche.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:36 am
PeachyPete wrote:
"Some of the time" for me. I'm not sure how to answer because I rarely use how critics feel about a movie to decide on me seeing a movie. I don't normally read reviews until after the fact. I'm more interested in what someone has to say about a movie than am I with how much they liked it. However, laudatory praise has been known to get me into a theater. For instance, I'll be seeing How to Train Your Dragon this weekend due to the overwhelmingly positive reviews. A 97% on RottenTomatoes and a 3.5 star review from James will usually get my butt in a seat.

This. I'll also add that if something I really want to see gets a critical drubbing I might delay watching it. Case in point: The Limits of Control. I was shocked to see this open in a theatre here, but it got such bad reviews that I preferred to wait for it on dvd. Actually, I still haven't seen it. I need to get on with that.

Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:20 pm
With 2 kids and a work-from-home wife, my money and time are too precious burn up seeing if I'll like it. I worked hard reading reviews from a variety of writers until I found someone who's likes were close enough to my own to give me a "filter".

Comedies offer a tough genre for finding agreement, however. One person's "A Fish Called Wanda" is another person's "Ernest, Scared Stupid".

Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:24 pm
Awf Hand wrote:
With 2 kids and a work-from-home wife, my money and time are too precious burn up seeing if I'll like it. I worked hard reading reviews from a variety of writers until I found someone who's likes were close enough to my own to give me a "filter".

Comedies offer a tough genre for finding agreement, however. One person's "A Fish Called Wanda" is another person's "Ernest, Scared Stupid".
Yeah, while I did like Wanda, it was definitely nowhere near the comedic masterpiece that James made it out to be, I generally laugh at alot of comedies that receive mostly mediocre reviews. Just Friends being one example, no idea why James hated that film so much, Sweet Home Alabama on the other hand he was much too easy on, that film IMO is the absolute WORST rom-com I have ever seen! (yes even worse then All About Steve)

Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:02 pm