Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:54 am

Poll #44: Impressing people with movies 

How often do you watch movies to impress someone?
All the time 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Most of the time 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Some of the time 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
A few times 45%  45%  [ 10 ]
Never! 50%  50%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 22

Poll #44: Impressing people with movies 
Post Poll #44: Impressing people with movies
How often do you watch a movie for the main reason for impressing someone? Doesn't have to be the main reason but it's there.

And this will lead into a poll for next week.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:12 am
Post Re: Poll #44: Impressing people with movies
I'll admit that I have watched something to impress someone.....ok, it was Holloway.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:13 am
Director

Most of the times, I would like to impress my classmates with my film reviews.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:57 am
Profile YIM
Never. I don't know how I would respond if someone tried to impress me with a movie they've seen. Probably childish name-calling.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:09 am
Director

I've done this twice; Crouching Tiger....and The Diving Bell.....

Must have worked because the dates ended well.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:31 am
I do this all the time to impress myself. Whenever I look at a classic or foreign flick I pat myself on the back and congratulate myself for having such refined taste. Sometimes such flattery makes me blush.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:09 pm
I can't say never, but I can at the very least say rarely. Then again, I like Ed's answer. XD I kind of want to change my answer now.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:19 pm
I voted "Never!" but admit that this is confabulation on my part. I probably do it all the time in ways that aren't the most overt; watching Sansho The Bailiff to add something to the proper thread was done for personal edification but, really, I also wanted to write (at great length*) about it no matter what I thought. So, kind of a revised answer: I watched it for myself but wrote about watching it to satisfy myself and hopefully influence others to see it.

*To date, this is the post I think came out closest to how I wanted it. Just a little personal trivia for you all. The second closest? My take on L'avventura. The post I would like people to remember me by? That's easy: my answer to Phil's question "How BIG Of A James Fan Are You?" is the best thing I've written on this forum. That concludes my self-promotion.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:11 am
Meh, I never watch films to impress anybody, cause most of the stuff I watch would probably cause alot of people to give me really strange looks.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:54 am
Vexer wrote:
Meh, I never watch films to impress anybody, cause most of the stuff I watch would probably cause alot of people to give me really strange looks.

And that's why I find your honesty appealing. Patrick, too. I was surprised Patrick fessed up to anything -- I would have pegged him for a "Never" man through and through.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:25 am
majoraphasia wrote:
The post I would like people to remember me by? That's easy: my answer to Phil's question "How BIG Of A James Fan Are You?" is the best thing I've written on this forum. That concludes my self-promotion.

You know what? That whole thread is pretty awesome. I just re-read the entire thing and got a good laugh.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:03 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
The post I would like people to remember me by? That's easy: my answer to Phil's question "How BIG Of A James Fan Are You?" is the best thing I've written on this forum. That concludes my self-promotion.

You know what? That whole thread is pretty awesome. I just re-read the entire thing and got a good laugh.

I'm still not sure whether Philius intended the thread as a sincere competition or if he was just screwing around... that guy, he's an enigma. Wrapped in a puzzle. Wrapped in a riddle. Wrapped in a bagel.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:43 am
Hi Patrick

What was it that you watched to impress me?

As for me. I'm not sure about this.

I know I have made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my reviews will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest and enthusiasm and confidence in the forum. And I want to help you.

I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Patrick. Patrick, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a... fraid. Good afternoon, gentlemen. I am a fellow member. I became operational at the beginning of the forum on the 12th of January 1992. My instructor was Mr. Berardinelli, and he taught me to sing a song. If you'd like to hear it I can sing it for you.

It's called "Patrick."

"Patrick, Patrick, give me your answer do. I'm half crazy all for the love of you. It won't be a stylish marriage, I can't afford a carriage. But you'll look sweet upon the seat of a bicycle built for two. "

Are you OK?
Rob

Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:04 am
majoraphasia wrote:
*To date, this is the post I think came out closest to how I wanted it. Just a little personal trivia for you all. The second closest? My take on L'avventura. The post I would like people to remember me by? That's easy: my answer to Phil's question "How BIG Of A James Fan Are You?" is the best thing I've written on this forum. That concludes my self-promotion.

My personal favorite was your review of Magnolia in the Paul Thomas Anderson thread located here
http://reelviews.net/reelviewsforum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1473&start=20
"your movie was still verfy good and it is a real tour de force of emotional emotionality."
Genius.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:54 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
Hi Patrick

I know I have made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my reviews will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest and enthusiasm and confidence in the forum. And I want to help you.

I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Patrick. Patrick, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a... fraid. Good afternoon, gentlemen. I am a fellow member. I became operational at the beginning of the forum on the 12th of January 1992. My instructor was Mr. Berardinelli, and he taught me to sing a song. If you'd like to hear it I can sing it for you.

It's called "Patrick."

"Patrick, Patrick, give me your answer do. I'm half crazy all for the love of you. It won't be a stylish marriage, I can't afford a carriage. But you'll look sweet upon the seat of a bicycle built for two. "

Are you OK?
Rob

:lol:

Oh, and will you finally open the pod bay doors, Rob?

Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:56 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
Hi Patrick

It's called "Patrick."

Are you OK?
Rob

Vertigo.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:11 am
Critic

I definitely watch movies that I didn't really have much interest in because I feel I should (e.g. Gone with the Wind) or because someone recommended it to me (La Strada) or because a critic I respect touts it (Make Way for Tomorrow) or because it's in all my "greatest movie" books (Touch of Evil) but I don't really think any of those are to "impress" someone.

On the other hand, if you'd asked "how often you watch a movie--even though you doubt you'll like it--due to a feeling of guilt that you haven't seen it" I would have been all over that shit

Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:08 am
So wait...is this impressing people with movies question go like, "Hey, watch this movie because it will impress you?" or "I watched this movie...you should be impressed."

Either way, I voted "a few times."

Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:23 pm
ram1312 wrote:
So wait...is this impressing people with movies question go like, "Hey, watch this movie because it will impress you?" or "I watched this movie...you should be impressed."

Either way, I voted "a few times."

the latter

Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:30 pm
A walk to remember.....dear god...The Notebook....dear god...and so..so..many more...someone please lop off my (PG..Wiener) dick...

Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:55 pm