Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:23 pm

March 23, 2010: "Multiplex Economics" 
Post Re: March 23, 2010: "Multiplex Economics"
Vexer wrote:
Ken wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
My local multiplex has begun occasionally searching purses for "security" reasons. How long before others start doing this?
I would be very interested in the legality of this.
That's not exactly a new practice, Six Flags does that as well from what i've heard.

As does the Orlando theme parks like Disney and Universal.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:27 pm
In conclusion: go to Toronto Stock Exchange, invest in IMX.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:08 pm
http://www.deadline.com/2010/03/michael-bay-james-cameron-skeptical-of-3d-conversions-the-jury-is-out/

Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:08 pm
I thought Bay would've been excited about making the 3rd Transformers 3-D, guess not, looks like James was wrong about Bay using 3-D as a tool.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:00 pm
I'm in the minority but....

$3900 projector and 120" screen $1200

Divide this by James's cost per visit

Add Blu ray player for $200

and voila

I have a home theater to die for

and best of all

no stinky popcorn, no driving, no parking, no aggressive texting unpleasant fellow viewers, no talking, no timing issues.....

Now pay $24 per month for a 3 disc Blu Ray netflix account

I used to go to the theater twice a week

Now 10 times a year
Rob

Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:26 pm
Assistant Director

When I was living in San Antonio, most of the movie theaters, whether multiplex or "art-house", had concession stands with real food options. Burgers, sandwiches, grilled chicken, wine/beer, etc. None of it was too much more than your typical movie going options either. The only time I'll get normal concessions is if I'm with my kids.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:51 am
DylnFan96818 wrote:
When I was living in San Antonio, most of the movie theaters, whether multiplex or "art-house", had concession stands with real food options. Burgers, sandwiches, grilled chicken, wine/beer, etc. None of it was too much more than your typical movie going options either. The only time I'll get normal concessions is if I'm with my kids.

Many of the larger multiplexes still do have stands/kiosks that offer actual food, including ones representing well-known franchises like Burger King and Baskin Robbins. I would still rather eat before going to the theater, though.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:49 am
Ragnarok73 wrote:
DylnFan96818 wrote:

Many of the larger multiplexes still do have stands/kiosks that offer actual food, including ones representing well-known franchises like Burger King and Baskin Robbins. I would still rather eat before going to the theater, though.
Yeah, and another reaosn to avoid concessions is because of unhealthy they are in general, I remember how in Kevin Murphy's-A Year At The Movies Murphy once tried to live on nothing but theater concessions for a whole week and he wound up getting a kidney stone, ouch! :shock: That was all it took to convince me to NEVER buy theater concessions!

Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:31 am
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
DylnFan96818 wrote:

Yeah, and another reaosn to avoid concessions is because of unhealthy they are in general, I remember how in Kevin Murphy's-A Year At The Movies Murphy once tried to live on nothing but theater concessions for a whole week and he wound up getting a kidney stone, ouch! :shock: That was all it took to convince me to NEVER buy theater concessions!

Why in the hell would you want to try somehting like that? Good God.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:05 am
Vexer wrote:
Damn, dude. That is self-torture at the Morgan Spurlock level.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:01 am
O_o

Only the first half of this article was "Multiplex Economics." The second half was about the same ol' rant about James' dislike for 3-D. Not that I'm defending 3-D, since I greatly dislike it as well, but I kinda stopped reading halfway through when I realized what the article was truly about. I know I don't have to read, but I feel kinda jipped.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:39 am
peng wrote:
I hear How to Train Your Dragon is getting good reviews about its 3D though...

I saw the 2D version. The movie is strong enough to stand on its own without the 3D gimmick.

Im almost of the opinion that 3D makes a mediocre movie better, and distracts from a really strong one. Just my two cents.

Curious how the Clash of the Titans thing is going to turn out? Ive read the 3D was a real rush job.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:15 am
Site Admin

Deberg_1990 wrote:
peng wrote:

I saw the 2D version. The movie is strong enough to stand on its own without the 3D gimmick.

Im almost of the opinion that 3D makes a mediocre movie better, and distracts from a really strong one. Just my two cents.

Curious how the Clash of the Titans thing is going to turn out? Ive read the 3D was a real rush job.

The 3D in CLASH OF THE TITANS is a fucking disaster.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:43 pm
Profile WWW
James Berardinelli wrote:
Deberg_1990 wrote:
peng wrote:

No surprise there, and i'm guessing that the movie itself also isn't much good.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:07 pm
James Berardinelli wrote:

Wow....interesting.....cant say im all that surprised though.

WB will no doubt con alot of the general audience into seeing it in 3D this weekend though.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:10 pm
As for the searching the purses thing...since our local theater started doing this. My girlfriend and I hatched up a plan. We put a couple bags of peanut M&M's and whatnot in the bottom of her purse, then covered it with various "time of the month products" and condoms. The guy took one look in the bag and we moved right along. The look on his face was priceless.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:36 pm
Colin wrote:
As for the searching the purses thing...since our local theater started doing this. My girlfriend and I hatched up a plan. We put a couple bags of peanut M&M's and whatnot in the bottom of her purse, then covered it with various "time of the month products" and condoms. The guy took one look in the bag and we moved right along. The look on his face was priceless.

:lol: I'll be recommending this to a few folks.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:37 am
"Of course, I'm wondering if the 3-D-ization of Titanic is just a ploy to recapture the #1 all-time domestic box office position."

This seems illogical since both films are from Cameron. Or am I missing something?

Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:36 pm
5wivesofbergman wrote:
"Of course, I'm wondering if the 3-D-ization of Titanic is just a ploy to recapture the #1 all-time domestic box office position."

This seems illogical since both films are from Cameron. Or am I missing something?

The status quo must be preserved!

Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:37 pm
Gaffer

Of course, Cameron will have the #1 spot only as long as it takes the flanneled one to 3D A new hope...

Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:01 pm