Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:48 pm




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
The 2009 Kermodes 
Author Message
Post The 2009 Kermodes
Every year one of my favorite critics hosts an awards ceremony in a theater in London. This year the BBC film critic Mark Kermode had his ceremony on BBC2 yesterday from the Electric Cinema.

The Kermodes honor movies and people that Mark feels should have been considered by the Oscars but were overlooked. So if you're nominated for an Oscar you miss out on the big one.

Mark is an outspoken, brash, passionate, bag pipe playing film critic that will not be to everyones taste. Once I'd got past his unusual personality I found viewpoints that I seemed to mainly agree with and then his style became great fun. The Brits do love him! His main love is horror and he states that the Exorcist and Local Hero are his favorite films. He also goes against convention and revels in it.

This years awards:
Best Supporting Actress - Ashley Tinsdale - High School Musical 3
Best Supporting Actor - Eddie Marsen - Happy Go Lucky
Best Actress - Belen Rueda - The Orphange
Best Actor - Michael Fassbender - Hunger
Best Foreign Film - Gomorroh
Best Director - Terence Davies - Of Time and the City
Best Film - Of Time and the City
Fellowship - Terry Gilliam

Rob


Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:54 pm
Post Re: The 2009 Kermodes
Ashley Tisdale?


Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:26 pm
Post Re: The 2009 Kermodes
Patrick wrote:
Ashley Tisdale?


Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:01 pm
Post What on Earth is up with Mark
Ashley Tisdale, has Mark gone mad, I know he liked High School Musical but to give it an award.


Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:11 pm
Post Re: What on Earth is up with Mark
You know, I think being specific and informative when writing is overrated. I'm going to go back to imdb now....


Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:17 pm
Post Re: The 2009 Kermodes
Best Supporting Actor - Eddie Marsen - Happy Go Lucky

hell yes.


Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:10 am
Post Re: The 2009 Kermodes
As we Brits know, he's a contrarian. That is part of what makes him so popular.

I think it's insanely cool when a critic stands up for a film that many intellectually pooh pooh

It's too easy to stand in the darkness and throw stones.

Rob


Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:19 am
Post Re: The 2009 Kermodes
Robert Holloway wrote:
As we Brits know, he's a contrarian. That is part of what makes him so popular.

I think it's insanely cool when a critic stands up for a film that many intellectually pooh pooh

It's too easy to stand in the darkness and throw stones.

Rob

In that case,
I am proud to say that Speed Racer is in my top 10 for 2008.
No joke.


Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:56 pm
Post Re: The 2009 Kermodes
Trevor wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
As we Brits know, he's a contrarian. That is part of what makes him so popular.

I think it's insanely cool when a critic stands up for a film that many intellectually pooh pooh

It's too easy to stand in the darkness and throw stones.

Rob

In that case,
I am proud to say that Speed Racer is in my top 10 for 2008.
No joke.


Not for me, but
Kermode has defended Speed Racer as well :-)
Rob


Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:03 pm
Post Re: The 2009 Kermodes
Robert Holloway wrote:
Trevor wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
As we Brits know, he's a contrarian. That is part of what makes him so popular.

I think it's insanely cool when a critic stands up for a film that many intellectually pooh pooh

It's too easy to stand in the darkness and throw stones.

Rob

In that case,
I am proud to say that Speed Racer is in my top 10 for 2008.
No joke.


Not for me, but
Kermode has defended Speed Racer as well :-)
Rob

I will have to check out his defense.

But my justification is twofold.
First, it's a thrill-ride, it's lots of fun.
But more importantly, it is self-aware in a Tarantino sort of way. It is genre-aware.
It is a parody of a kids' movie while at the same time being a kids' movie.
I thoroughly enjoyed it and didn't have to switch my brain off as most critics implied.

It was only as maligned as it was because of its budget/disappointing grosses though--the Waterworld effect.


Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:57 pm
Post Re: The 2009 Kermodes
I am fine with critics going against the popular intellectual opinion, but to nominate someone for High School Musical is truly ridiculous, and shouldn't be respected.


Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:16 am
Post Re: The 2009 Kermodes
etifupleez wrote:
I am fine with critics going against the popular intellectual opinion, but to nominate someone for High School Musical is truly ridiculous, and shouldn't be respected.


Hi there

If you listened to Mark for a few weeks you would understand that he is being semi ironic. On the one hand he is poking fun at the institutional critics, he's also making a point and his announcement made it clear that this was so.

I no longer live in the UK. However, every UK friend is really into him. they live his acerbic tone and rants on certain movies. there is no doubt that he is not an easy critic to live with. However, i respect him more than 99% of other critics. Anyone who claims ken Russell is a genius has to be great by me :-)

I told my girlfriend about him and at first she hated him as arrogant, pompous and self opinionated. Then a few weeks later she made the point that she agreed with just about every wild point he was making.

That is Mark Kermode. He's an acquired taste that the Brits seem to be getting big time.

Ultimately, underneath the bravado is a film fan who is also an excellent musician that tours in a skiffle band. he's insanely passionate about what he does and it comes shining through. I admire him for that.

Rob


Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:40 am
Post Re: The 2009 Kermodes
I am an English film student and whoever I speak to about Mark Kermode loves him.

At first yes he does come across as a tad pompous. But he does grow on you and I respect him for always saying what he thinks even if it goes against popular belief.

His radio show on 5 live as well as his podcasts on the BBC website might be worth taking a look at if you want to have a better understanding of why he is so popular over here.

Plus telling Leonardo Dicaprio that after The Aviator he is forgiven for Titanic was utterly brilliant.


Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:21 pm
Post Re: The 2009 Kermodes
Mark Kermode is excellent. He says what he thinks, but also explains why he thinks a film is good or bad. I respect him for that, as most critics, James excepted don't say why they like or dislike something. Because he has such broad taste, it opens the eyes of potential viewers to other films rather than mainstream releases.

Another good UK critic is Kim Newman, who writes for Empire among other things. He writes about obscure and arthouse films as well as mainstream material, and is well worth tracking down.


Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:46 am
Post Re: The 2009 Kermodes
baz1701 wrote:
Mark Kermode is excellent. He says what he thinks, but also explains why he thinks a film is good or bad. I respect him for that, as most critics, James excepted don't say why they like or dislike something. Because he has such broad taste, it opens the eyes of potential viewers to other films rather than mainstream releases.

Another good UK critic is Kim Newman, who writes for Empire among other things. He writes about obscure and arthouse films as well as mainstream material, and is well worth tracking down.


Hi baz,

I left Blighty about 23 years ago. the arrival of Empire magazine was a great event and I too like Kim Newman. EWe have nothing close to it in the US. Entertainment Weekly is basically a publicity rag.

One of the things that make Mark kermode so special is his sense of humour. His weekly show with Simon Mayo (which is also a podcast is simply hilarious. However, you'll need to listen to a few of them to get into the themes that run through the show. if Mark finds a film that is worthless he will eviscerate it on air live in front of milions. Nothing and nobody is spared from Bono to Johnny Depp. His rants are very popular on YouTube.

Rob


Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:34 am
Post Re: The 2009 Kermodes
Robert Holloway wrote:
baz1701 wrote:
Mark Kermode is excellent. He says what he thinks, but also explains why he thinks a film is good or bad. I respect him for that, as most critics, James excepted don't say why they like or dislike something. Because he has such broad taste, it opens the eyes of potential viewers to other films rather than mainstream releases.

Another good UK critic is Kim Newman, who writes for Empire among other things. He writes about obscure and arthouse films as well as mainstream material, and is well worth tracking down.


Hi baz,

I left Blighty about 23 years ago. the arrival of Empire magazine was a great event and I too like Kim Newman. EWe have nothing close to it in the US. Entertainment Weekly is basically a publicity rag.

Quote:
One of the things that make Mark kermode so special is his sense of humour. His weekly show with Simon Mayo (which is also a podcast is simply hilarious. However, you'll need to listen to a few of them to get into the themes that run through the show. if Mark finds a film that is worthless he will eviscerate it on air live in front of milions. Nothing and nobody is spared from Bono to Johnny Depp. His rants are very popular on YouTube.

Rob


He does the film show on BBC News 24 each Friday night and it is always worth watching. Even if the films are mediocre, you can count on Mark to say something that will make you fall off the settee with laughter. Because he is so straight talking, you get the feeling that fthe films he says are bad will be bad for those reasons and likewise with the good films. Vary rarely do I disagree with him.


Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:39 am
Post Re: The 2009 Kermodes
There is a complete rag here called Total Film which should really be called the Monthly Chav Movie Mag. They hand out great reviews to films like Transformers and Revolver and slate quality like There Will Be Blood. Compared to Empire it really is a waste of paper.

If Newman and Kermode co-hosted a film show, I think I'd be in heaven for at least a week.


Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:46 am
Post Re: The 2009 Kermodes
Total Film called Their Will Be Blood their film of the year.


:cry:


Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:46 pm
Post Re: The 2009 Kermodes
The review I read slated it and called it deathly dull. Hmm.

I much prefer Empire, it's a more balanced mag with a lot more emphasis on actual film making skill than what the film is about. I much prefer that.


Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:54 pm
Post Re: The 2009 Kermodes
baz1701 wrote:

He does the film show on BBC News 24 each Friday night and it is always worth watching. Even if the films are mediocre, you can count on Mark to say something that will make you fall off the settee with laughter. Because he is so straight talking, you get the feeling that fthe films he says are bad will be bad for those reasons and likewise with the good films. Vary rarely do I disagree with him.


I watch the iPlayer all the time so will check this out - thanks!

Rob


Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:55 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr