It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:07 pm

March 23, 2010: "Multiplex Economics" 
Site Admin

Post March 23, 2010: "Multiplex Economics"
Click here to read topic.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:09 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: March 23, 2010: "Multiplex Economics"
It's funny that you said you don't ever eat during a movie because it gets in the way of the enjoyment of it. I completely agree and I never eat anything at the theater while I'm watching a movie. I rarely drink anything either. Don't want to have to use the restroom and miss something (although this can be reversed if the movie is awful, I'm sure). Food is too much money and I refused to pay for it. My friends always sneak in candy bars and such. Heck, someone I know duck taped a full pizza box to his chest and put a trench coat over it and they didn't even notice. Now that's dedication.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:37 pm
So, I assume the annoyance with Monsters vs Aliens is the reason why a review of How to Train Your Dragon is not scheduled? Which is interesting, since it's been getting some of DreamWorks' most positive reviews in a long time.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:39 pm
Don't forget that George Lucas wants to have all six "Star Wars" films be converted to 3-D. Should be interesting to see how they turn out.

You sure "Shakespeare In Love" winning Best Picture is the most depressing motion picture event? What about "Ordinary People" beating "Raging Bull"? How about "Dances With Wolves" beating "Goodfellas"?

I don't eat anything at the movies either. First and foremost, I'm exercise regularly and the food is pumped with fat, high calories, and sugar. Second, the food is too pricey anyway.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:44 pm
I don't eat or drink anything in theaters eithe,r though that's not because it interferes with me enjoying the film, it's because theater concessions are WAAYYY overpriced and the theater dosen't allow outside food(and I REALLY don't feel like going to alot of trouble to sneak in outside food) and I also don't want to end up having to make trips to the restroom and end up missing part of the film. I pity anyone who feels like spending almost 80 bucks at a theater.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:05 pm
James, don't forget about Tron:Legacy! That is being shot with the next-generation of fusion camera that Cameron used for Avatar. I have a feeling it is going to rock.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:50 pm
Vexer wrote:
I don't eat or drink anything in theaters eithe,r though that's not because it interferes with me enjoying the film, it's because theater concessions are WAAYYY overpriced and the theater dosen't allow outside food(and I REALLY don't feel like going to alot of trouble to sneak in outside food) and I also don't want to end up having to make trips to the restroom and end up missing part of the film. I pity anyone who feels like spending almost 80 bucks at a theater.
It really is insane, how much this stuff costs, but what's even more insane is that people are often willing to pay far more for it than they have to.

For example: most "small" popcorns these days are fairly enormous. Unless you're eating it nonstop from lights out to lights on, one small multiplex popcorn is probably enough to sustain the average moviegoer. And besides that, I think a lot of multiplexes (at least, the ones in my town) offer free popcorn refills. Even so, you regularly see people walking around with the giant buckets of popcorn, often an entire bucket for each person in the group.

What the hell is going on here? How did multiplexes pull off the marketing bamboozle that convinces people to waste so much extra money, never minding the already high base cost of one small popcorn? Do people realize how little value for their money they're getting?

Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:23 pm
In my town we have two movie theaters--one that is slowly dying and is many years old. The other is a few years old with stadium seating. The new one is cleaner, nicer and more comfortable. And unfortunately my friends are "theater snobs" and they will only go to that one. Typically, we don't mind going (even though it IS a little farther) however you are limited only to a 3D option, which conveniently includes the surcharge, and completely frustrates me. Yes, some movies are worth the 3D--and I will pay for those movies, but I don't want to HAVE to see every family/action/etc movie for more money, when it is a useless gimmick. Also this theater refuses to give free refills on anything, including a large popcorn or soda. However, if we want to go to the movies with our friends, we go there.

The other theater is older, and just as costly to go (9.50 a ticket) to. Luckily they still have a 2D option, which is where we saw Alice in Wonderland. I refused to pay the surcharge. This theater is also closer to us. However, the seats are more uncomfortable, it is never cleaned very well, and is usually empty--except on the weekends, since it is across the street from the mall. They do give free refills on large soda and popcorn. They are starting to put the 3D into some of the movies, which makes me nervous that eventually I won't HAVE a choice anymore--and I'll have to pay the surcharge to see a movie.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:25 pm
Site Admin

ck100 wrote:
You sure "Shakespeare In Love" winning Best Picture is the most depressing motion picture event? What about "Ordinary People" beating "Raging Bull"? How about "Dances With Wolves" beating "Goodfellas"?

I wrote that this is the most depressing event since SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE won Best Picture. That was in 1998. That wasn't an attempt to quantify bad Oscar wins. That's a column I'll write next year after I finish reviewing all the Best Picture winners.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:34 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

estefan wrote:
So, I assume the annoyance with Monsters vs Aliens is the reason why a review of How to Train Your Dragon is not scheduled? Which is interesting, since it's been getting some of DreamWorks' most positive reviews in a long time.

I plan to see it Friday, probably in 3D (depends on what's available). It's uncertain at this time whether I'll write a review. I'm also seriously considering blowing off the press screening of CLASH OF THE TITANS and waiting to see it next Friday in 2D. I want to experience the movie not be distracted by issues associated with the conversion. Of course, that assumes I can find a theater showing a 2D copy. (Full disclosure: it may be difficult for me to get to the press screening on Monday morning since we're supposed to get heavy rain Sunday night into Monday and the road I use to get to the theater has a propensity to flood. So the press screening may not be an option.)

Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:39 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

I have a regal crown card so when I get a certain amount of points, I get a free small popcorn or a free small drink and even a free movie ticket. So the only time I go to a concession stand is if I have a free small drink. They let me upgrade to a large for just a buck so that's fine with me.

Otherwise, I buy food from the local Wegman's or Wawa or Subway. Sometimes even to Five Below. They are all nearby my local Regal Cinemas.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:10 pm
ilovemovies wrote:
I have a regal crown card so when I get a certain amount of points, I get a free small popcorn or a free small drink and even a free movie ticket. So the only time I go to a concession stand is if I have a free small drink. They let me upgrade to a large for just a buck so that's fine with me.

Otherwise, I buy food from the local Wegman's or Wawa or Subway. Sometimes even to Five Below. They are all nearby my local Regal Cinemas.

Do you have to smuggle that food in? I know that many (if not most or all) theaters do not allow outside food/drinks to be brought in, but there may be exceptions. Of course, it's not like they're allowed to strip-search theater-goers anyway...

Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:33 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:

Do you have to smuggle that food in? I know that many (if not most or all) theaters do not allow outside food/drinks to be brought in, but there may be exceptions. Of course, it's not like they're allowed to strip-search theater-goers anyway...

If it's a big chain multiplex, you probably have to sneak the food in. The Stanford Theater is the only place in the Bay Area that allows you to bring outside food. (Ironically, their candy is cheap to begin with.)

On a side note, I snack on Red Vines half the time I watch movies theatrically nowadays. I recently purchased a tub and ziplock bags so I don't have to buy the overpriced packages with only twelve or thirteen in the carton. Nonetheless, it's a bad habit - one I don't feel like endorsing through the multiplex.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:41 pm
They're batshit if they think they're getting four of my dolars for a drink. If I eat a concession during the movie, it will be a pack of Sour Patch Kids that entered the multiplex in my pocket.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:46 pm
I hear How to Train Your Dragon is getting good reviews about its 3D though...

Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:29 am
BrianB wrote:
They're batshit if they think they're getting four of my dolars for a drink. If I eat a concession during the movie, it will be a pack of Sour Patch Kids that entered the multiplex in my pocket.
My girlfriend has this oversize mink handbag that is conveniently good at hiding entire bags of popcorn, candy, cans of soda, boxes of sushi, and so on. Fight the power!

Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:31 am
Ken wrote:
BrianB wrote:
My girlfriend has this oversize mink handbag that is conveniently good at hiding entire bags of popcorn, candy, cans of soda, boxes of sushi, and so on. Fight the power!

Ah yes. The old "load up your date's purse" strategy has come in handy many a time. Good thing the gargantuan ones seem to be the fashion as of late.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:46 am
Ken wrote:

My local multiplex has begun occasionally searching purses for "security" reasons. How long before others start doing this?

Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:22 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
My local multiplex has begun occasionally searching purses for "security" reasons. How long before others start doing this?
I would be very interested in the legality of this.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:04 pm
Ken wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
I would be very interested in the legality of this.
That's not exactly a new practice, Six Flags does that as well from what i've heard.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:22 pm