Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:03 pm

Jan. 26, 2009: Teen Angst 
Post Re: Jan. 26, 2009: Teen Angst
The Decalogue is fantastic, nice pick.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:01 am
13 years is practically a century in Internet time. I didn't get my first real computer until Christmas 1996. Ah, I remember like it was yesterday. I was the first kid on my block with a Pentium processor. It ran at 133 MHz, had 16 MB of RAM, and a 1.2 GB hard drive! I was the only guy I knew who could run Quake at full screen! And I could get on AOL with my 28.8 kbps modem. To think how many big sites that were around back then -- Excite, Alta-Vista, Hotbot, Lycos, etc -- that have been bought up by other companies or gone out of business, it's amazing something as simple as a guy reviewing movies survived when other big things crumbled. It's a testament to how well James writes, the passion he feels for films, and the hard work and dedication he's shown his readers.

Now I haven't been a Reelviews fan its entire existence, but at least half. I remember first finding this site when Roger Ebert put a link to here on his website with a solid recommendation. That was in 1999 or 2000, I believe. I've been a regular reader since, and this is one of the first sites I check before heading to the multiplex, the video store, or filling my NetFlix queue.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:08 am
Trevor wrote:

I watched all 10 hours late last year after seeing on James Top Films Ever list (can't find it on the new site)

I loved a few of the episodes and liked all the others

I would have scored it 3.5 stars on James rating list overall

It failed to have the major impact I had hoped for :cry:

My loss

Rob

Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:03 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
Trevor wrote:

I watched all 10 hours late last year after seeing on James Top Films Ever list (can't find it on the new site)

I would say the same.
But loving some, liking others, and being in awe of the scope of the project combine to make me call it fantastic (not on my top list though).

Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:18 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
Trevor wrote:

My loss

Rob

The top films ever list can still be found under the search tab. Its the last option if you scroll down on the page.

http://www.reelviews.net/fullsearchpage.php

Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:24 am
Trevor wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Trevor wrote:

I would say the same.
But loving some, liking others, and being in awe of the scope of the project combine to make me call it fantastic (not on my top list though).

Decalogue is admittedly an amazing project, but I am not sure it is really "a" movie. While the ten episodes interconnect, it is closer to a TV series than a singular cinematic experience.

And while I enjoyed Decalogue, I must say that overall it is quite bleak.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:23 pm
TLaw wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Trevor wrote:

My loss

Rob

The top films ever list can still be found under the search tab. Its the last option if you scroll down on the page.

http://www.reelviews.net/fullsearchpage.php

Speaking about that, I wonder about James' decision to update it. If I'm correct, didn't he comment that he might at "The Dark Knight" to the list?

Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:28 pm
Been a reader of the site for quite a few years. Was always attracted to how similar James views are on most movies to mine. The visual aspect of the site has grown tremendously, but more importantly the quality of the content has remained as high as ever.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:14 pm