Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:31 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
The First Annual ReelViews Academy Award Winners! 
Post Re: The First Annual ReelViews Academy Award Winners!
Knowing Jim Emerson, I'm sure the "question" is a red herring. I think I can guess what his conclusion will be.

And to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure where the room for argument is. Nobody's arguing that it isn't filmmaking, or that film is currently at the weird stage between a "photographic" and a "painterly" medium that George Lucas predicted. But cinematography is something specific, and if there's a blurry line involved, Avatar is far, far away from it.

Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:51 pm
Cinematographer

Ken wrote:
That's not even close to cinematography. It would be like giving a photography award to somebody who drew pictures using photo references.

But then again, Avatar isn't exactly traditional in that respect. I like the idea of the blurry line, but it does start some debates.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:18 am
Emerson's followup. I'd say the blurry line isn't between Avatar and cinematography, but between Avatar and animation.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:37 am
Well Done Pedro.
You should be proud of what yu have achieved.
You should be especially be recognised for the work that went into organizing the whole affair.
You were right to show the nominees because I was hoping to see how much different the the reelviews nominees were to the actual oscars
One thing your night do next year during the presentation:
Do include the pictures, they were a nice touch, but also write the names of the winners + nominations. I had trouble downloading the images.

Again Well done.
Hopefully if you are around next year you can do it again or at least provide advice to anyone who wants to do it themselves.

p604

Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:21 am
Yay Inglourious!

Our picks definitely represent the varied viewpoints of the members here. This was a great project that I hope we can make an annual thing.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:32 pm
Pedro wrote:
Vic wrote:
Great stuff Pedro, looking forward to next year's already!

I hope there's enough interest in a next year. :x I really enjoyed doing this, but keeping it real, this wasn't as successful as I hoped.

I appreciate your honesty and respect the hell out of the effort you put in. Well done.

That said, I think there are ways to make it better for next near. I think dropping some of the technical categories might be good. Unless the point is to recreate the Oscars, I think we can do without some of them. I'd much rather have some thoughtfully created categories that we can put in. I think that along with the "go ahead and vote for stuff you haven't seen" stuff discouraged some people from voting. A little nitpicky, yes, but we can get better.

That said, good stuff all around, Pedro.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:13 am
Great work Pedro! You totally deserved that DVD.

Also thanks to p604 for suggesting we have our own awards in the first place.

Finally, on the now dormant Avatar for Best Cinematography debate: WTF? I fail to see how a movie animated inside a computer is even nominated. Poor, poor White Ribbon. It's not good just because it's in B&W.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:03 am
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2