ASFHALKDFHA;LKSDFA;LKDHFA;LKSDH RAGE! 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
This is Bullshit! 15%  15%  [ 3 ]
It may be okay! 50%  50%  [ 10 ]
I'm sure it'll be fine but there's that chance it won't. 25%  25%  [ 5 ]
It'll be awesome, you haters are stupid. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 20

Poll #43: Remakes 
Post Poll #43: Remakes
Whenever we hear something is being remade, it's guaranteed that we're going to here some bitching. The question is whether or not YOU bitch and how much.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:22 am
Post Re: Poll #43: Remakes
History may not be kind but I'm always willing to give remakes a shot

Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:23 am
Director

I going with my gut reaction which is:

ASFHALKDFHA;LKSDFA;LKDHFA;LKSDH RAGE!

Nothing says you're bereft of ideas than another remake.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:52 am
I'm generally in opposition to remakes, but there are some good ones. As an added bonus they tend to drive interest in the original film which is always a good thing.

In related news one or more Wizard of Oz remakes might be coming soon:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/were-off-to-see-the-wizard-ndash-but-which-one-1920122.html

Sounds like a terrible, terrible idea.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:39 am
Director

When The Sci-Fi channel was promoting "Tin Man", I was kinda looking forward to it, especially with Zooey Deschanel, Neal McDonough and Alan Cumming, but yikes, what a banal piece of tripe. Leave well enough alone.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:52 am
I'm mostly OK with a remake as it's not a remake of a foreign horror film, cause those all suck MAJOR ass! :evil: and that's putting it lightly! :shock:

Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:23 pm
There really should be a WHO CARES option, because at this point it's not worth the energy. Unless they're going to have Miley Cyrus direct an R-rated, Finnish language remake of Toy Story starring Hal Holbrook as Woody, then what's the point of getting worked up?

Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:00 pm
I voted for "it'll probably be fine" because I more or less agree with Pedro.

Remakes are part of the moviemaking territory, for better or worse. While I'd prefer an overhaul of a failed film as a "remake", the usual trick is to either update material or make palatable for larger, general audiences. This works on occasion - Peter Jackson's King Kong being a recent example.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:36 pm
Director

I call bullshit. Studios and the writers don't have the imagination and creativity to give us something new. Some remakes work, but more oftan than not, it'll be crap.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:44 pm
Profile YIM
I don't get too worked up over remakes, with that said, I don't think it's the fact that Hollywood can't come up with new ideas, I think it's more marketable and profitable to regurgitate ideas than it is to film fresh ones. The formula is set now, you take a large property, such as the Wizard of Oz, Clash of the Titans, Charlie and the Chocolate Family, or etc that has an already present fan base, put a moderately known to prominent director and wah la, profit city.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:04 pm
corpen11 wrote:
I call bullshit. Studios and the writers don't have the imagination and creativity to give us something new. Some remakes work, but more oftan than not, it'll be crap.
This. I'm not 100% in opposition, but I typically take them as a sign that the studio is playing it safe and staking out as little fresh territory as possible.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:29 pm
Director

Ken wrote:
corpen11 wrote:
This. I'm not 100% in opposition, but I typically take them as a sign that the studio is playing it safe and staking out as little fresh territory as possible.

If a remake works, then it's good. What bothers me is that remakes are being made just to "play it safe," or the writers and/or the studios aren't trying something totally new.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:32 pm
Profile YIM
Most of the time I don't really care. Films have been remade since they've made films. But when a film I love, like Robocop, gets the remake treatment I get pissy.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:20 pm
Bondurant wrote:
Most of the time I don't really care. Films have been remade since they've made films. But when a film I love, like Robocop, gets the remake treatment I get pissy.
Yeah and I also heard that The Crow is being remade, and unless they're changing the titular character into a female(I could definitely go for an Erica Draven, not sure what actress i'd want though) or something else drastically different, then I won't have any interest in seeing it, and as for Robocop i'm hoping that at the very least that it won't be some half-baked toned down PG-13 version of the original, one remake that I do admittedly support right now is the Karate Kid, frankly I don't really see the original as a classic, plus it'll be nice to have the mian character actually be played by a teenager instead of a 26 year old.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:34 pm
Whoa Whoa Whoa vex, no one, and I mean no one, messes with Macchio.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:56 am
Vexer wrote:
Yeah and I also heard that The Crow is being remade, and unless they're changing the titular character into a female(I could definitely go for an Erica Draven, not sure what actress i'd want though) or something else drastically different, then I won't have any interest in seeing it, and as for Robocop i'm hoping that at the very least that it won't be some half-baked toned down PG-13 version of the original, one remake that I do admittedly support right now is the Karate Kid, frankly I don't really see the original as a classic, plus it'll be nice to have the mian character actually be played by a teenager instead of a 26 year old.
The idea of a Crow remake doesn't bother me much, considering each of the sequels is essentially a remake.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:10 pm
stiefmo wrote:
Whoa Whoa Whoa vex, no one, and I mean no one, messes with Macchio.
It's not Macchio I have a problem, as he's actually a decent actor(I especially liked in the DTV film A Good Night To Die) but it's tough to take a character he's supposed to be a teenager seriously when he's played by a twenty-something actor, it just dosen't feel right, and Karate Kid 3, what was Hollywood smoking with that one? Horrible film and STILL keeping Macchio around despite him being in his 30s then, Next Karate Kid was an improvement, thanks to Swank's acting(and it's not often that I can say that about Swank, who i'm honestly not a fan of) Macchio did the best he could with that material, but the fact is Hollywood should've just cast an actual teenager as it would've felt more authentic. And that's one thing i'm glad the remake is correcting, and it's hard for me to hate any film with Jackie Chan.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:53 pm
Gag me with a spoon. It gets even worse when a favorite is getting remade by a hack.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/16669/ ... ter-squad-

Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:34 am
Monster Squad eh? Never saw that film ass to be honest it didn't sound all that great, so that's one remake I honestly couldn't care less about(though I personally don't think Bay is a hack, he's certainly better then whoever helms all those godawful foreign horror remakes)

Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm
Vexer wrote:
Monster Squad eh? Never saw that film ass to be honest it didn't sound all that great, so that's one remake I honestly couldn't care less about(though I personally don't think Bay is a hack, he's certainly better then whoever helms all those godawful foreign horror remakes)

I think the hack in question was Rob Cohen...Bay just runs Platinum Dunes

Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:59 pm