Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:49 pm

What was the dumbest decision you made in your lifetime? 
Post What was the dumbest decision you made in your lifetime?
And how much have you regretted it to this day?

Me? Getting sucked into that pyramid scheme Amway in my early college years. I was a lonely kid at the time, and thought I needed to open up and join a social group. When I was first invited to a meeting, my 2 classmates just said, "It's a business meeting"...then when all was said and done, it seemed like Amway was the best thing since sliced bread as a dream of achieving wealth in 2-5 years, or even 6 months looked like reality.

Along the way, I ended up nearly ruining my dignity, (prior)relationships, stealing money from my parents, and for that matter too, I ended up putting myself in misery for these 4 months or so instead of being able to enjoy life(i.e. everywhere I went, like a mall or the grocery store, I had to be obligated to approach strangers and start friendly conversations to get them to come to these meetings, and not to mention too all the lying and scheming I did to my family).

Thankfully, I wasn't in that long, but yah-I regretted it quite a bit then, and to this day, I wish I can turn back the clock and do it differently.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:41 am
Post Re: What was the dumbest decision you made in your lifetime?
TunaFanForever wrote:
And how much have you regretted it to this day?

Me? Getting sucked into that pyramid scheme Amway in my early college years. I was a lonely kid at the time, and thought I needed to open up and join a social group. When I was first invited to a meeting, my 2 classmates just said, "It's a business meeting"...then when all was said and done, it seemed like Amway was the best thing since sliced bread as a dream of achieving wealth in 2-5 years, or even 6 months looked like reality.

Along the way, I ended up nearly ruining my dignity, (prior)relationships, stealing money from my parents, and for that matter too, I ended up putting myself in misery for these 4 months or so instead of being able to enjoy life(i.e. everywhere I went, like a mall or the grocery store, I had to be obligated to approach strangers and start friendly conversations to get them to come to these meetings, and not to mention too all the lying and scheming I did to my family).

Thankfully, I wasn't in that long, but yah-I regretted it quite a bit then, and to this day, I wish I can turn back the clock and do it differently.

Ah, you've made me think of that Amway scene in the film Go. Was it pretty much like that, i.e. hard-selling and the like?

Anyway, glad to see you were able to excise yourself from that environment.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:28 am
Amway? Ouch! Even we in Australia have no been spared from the scourge that is Amway!
Anyway, my dumbest decision was not taking a year or two off at the end of high school to explore the world and instead enrolling into engineering at university. While I have nothing against engineering, it wasn't for me, and finding out I didn't like it after wanting to be an engineer for my whole teenage life really sent my life into an aimless spiral where I didn't really get much done, hence why I will finish my degree at 29! But better late than never!

Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:35 am
Life doesn't really start until you're in your thirties anyway.... :)

Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:18 pm