Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:56 am

Tell Me What To Read 
Post Re: Tell Me What To Read
I have to agree with the Gaiman suggestions. His writing is really terrific and the atmosphere he adds to the stories (particularly in Neverwhere) bring them to life. Another author who does the same but gets less notice would be Charles De Lint. I'd recommend starting with his short stories to get the feel of his work and the characters that he builds in those. He also based many of his novels on situations involving the same people. I guess they're considered to be urban fantasy.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:06 pm
sheryl wrote:
Sci Fi Wasabi wrote:
Hmmmm....after reading all these posts about books I never heard of I am almost embarrassed to post that I am revisiting Killshot by Elmore Leonard. All in hopes of ever seeing the film adaptation. I suspect it will be crap, but they really picked the right man in Rourke to play the Blackbird.

After that I will likely go back and read The Book of Five Rings again. But I have never been one for heavy literary works really. Always seems inaccessible for me in the relating sense.

Many of Leonard's stories have been adapted to the screen, right?
I'm not familiar with the Book of Five Rings. What is it about?

Quite a few. Get Shorty, Be Cool, Jackie Brown, Mr. Majestyk and Three Ten to Yuma are all based from his work. It is rumored that Quentin Tarantino modeled his dialogue writing style after Leonard. He's really good, if you like books where the characters speak as if they are real people.

The Book of Five Rings is, simply put, a book about swordsmanship written by Miyamoto Musashi. Many people read it in conjunction with Sun Tzu's Art of War or Lao Tzu's Tao Te Ching. Mostly philosophical in a way, although from what I have heard from kenjutsu practitioners that the methodology is sound. But the way it is written is quite open to interpretation. You can use the information within as a guide to life or a guide to swordplay. Interesting read though.

Someday going to get through Nightwatch as well...for some reason that book is hard to read at a stretch...

Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:33 pm
I read Watchmen and The Art of War just a while ago. Being new to the whole Watchmen craze, I found that I couldn't put it down. Here are some books that I plan on reading in the near future.

Moby Dick
From the Earth to the Moon
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
The Bourne series

Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:53 am
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
The Bourne series

Was a big Ludlum fan, read about 15 of his books but these are by far the best.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:55 am
I love crime fiction. Anything by these authors would be worth your time:

Michael Connelly
Robert Crais
Dennis Lehane
Lawrence Block
Donald Westlake
Ed McBain
any of the books in the Hard Case Crime series put out by Charles Ardai

Some other good authors (non crime fiction):

Michael Crichton
Douglas Preston (with or without Lincoln Child)
James Rollins
Nelson DeMille
Stephen King

Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:52 am
PAG wrote:

Michael Connelly
Dennis Lehane

of all the ones you listed, i'm only familiar with these crime authors. i must say both are very good. i have a bias towards british authors when it comes to murder mysteries/crimes, but these two are definitely my fave american crime writers. i suppose i should include elizabeth george in this list since she is technically an american.

lehane's shutter island is being adapated into a movie.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:52 pm
sheryl wrote:
PAG wrote:

Michael Connelly
Dennis Lehane

of all the ones you listed, i'm only familiar with these crime authors. i must say both are very good. i have a bias towards british authors when it comes to murder mysteries/crimes, but these two are definitely my fave american crime writers. i suppose i should include elizabeth george in this list since she is technically an american.

lehane's shutter island is being adapated into a movie.

Dennis Lehane is good! I am not a huge crime fiction fan per se, but I do enjoy his writing.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:01 am
Vic wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
The Bourne series

What have you read? I have a large collection of Ludlum and wanted to suggest some, but don't want to cover something you read already. So many of his books I find excellent, but the Bourne series was likely one of the best trilogies imagined. He had a few good sequel books, The Materese books weren't bad, and though I have not yet tried these out, I have heard the person ghosting for him is pretty dead on. I have two I think...The Janson Directive and The Bancroft Strategy but haven't read them yet. I have a lot of books I haven't read...lol

Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:10 am
Is there any good hard science fiction lately? I heard "Anathem" by Neal Stephenson and "City at the edge of time" have great concepts but are mediocre or flawed enough to not be worth it.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:15 am
Sci Fi Wasabi wrote:
Vic wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
The Bourne series

What have you read? I have a large collection of Ludlum and wanted to suggest some, but don't want to cover something you read already. So many of his books I find excellent, but the Bourne series was likely one of the best trilogies imagined. He had a few good sequel books, The Materese books weren't bad, and though I have not yet tried these out, I have heard the person ghosting for him is pretty dead on. I have two I think...The Janson Directive and The Bancroft Strategy but haven't read them yet. I have a lot of books I haven't read...lol

It's been about four years since I read the last one, from memory my favourite aside from the Bourne Series was The Holcroft Covenent. The Scorpio Illusion was very good as well as was The Chancellor Manuscript. The Osterman Weekend was probably my least favourite.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:53 am
I like Stephen White and Michael Connelly and Jonathon Kellerman as well. I've been meaning to try Faye but haven't gotten around to any of hers yet. Thus is the pitfall of a library job. Always more books to read than there is time to do it...

Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:54 am
1minion wrote:
I like Stephen White and Michael Connelly and Jonathon Kellerman as well. I've been meaning to try Faye but haven't gotten around to any of hers yet. Thus is the pitfall of a library job. Always more books to read than there is time to do it...

I'm a big Bosch girl, and I am just getting into Stephen White. He's like a clever Coben (non Bolitar). I also dig Kellerman.

Just finished Edgar Sawtell. I LOVED it. Shades of later Stephen King. I am now smashing through a tiny, little Karin Slaughter number, "Martin Misunderstood" which is darkly hilarious so far.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:27 am
I'm on a bit of a Cormac McCarthy kick lately because apparently I hate life. Finished The Road, No Country for Old Men, and All the Pretty Horses. I might have to read something positive soon since it's getting extremely bleak, but I also want to tackle Suttree soon.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:52 am
Goubot wrote:
I'm on a bit of a Cormac McCarthy kick lately because apparently I hate life. Finished The Road, No Country for Old Men, and All the Pretty Horses. I might have to read something positive soon since it's getting extremely bleak, but I also want to tackle Suttree soon.

started The Road a few times, still struggling to finish the book - it's too depressing.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:02 pm
Goubot wrote:

I'm partway through Blood Meridian at the moment m'self.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:05 pm
sheryl wrote:
Goubot wrote:

started The Road a few times, still struggling to finish the book - it's too depressing.

I actually finished The Road in a single sitting. It wasn't the best of ideas, since I was in a kind of stupor for the next day or so.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:27 pm
Goubot wrote:
I actually finished The Road in a single sitting. It wasn't the best of ideas, since I was in a kind of stupor for the next day or so.

Yeah, it's a great book if you want to f*** up the rest of your week after you finish it.

I'm verrrrry intrigued by the stills they put out from the upcoming film a while back. (I can dig 'em up if you're interested)

Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:33 am
I've seen the stills and heard pieces of the soundtrack (Nick Cave is great as usual). The stills make me think that they pretty much got the feeling of the novel exactly right, but the fact that it was pushed back so much makes me worry. Test audiences apparently hated it the first time (for how little that's worth) and they scrambled to make some edits. The Reader was pushed instead.

The production is done, and I hear that McCarthy himself saw it and had few complaints, so I remain hopeful. I just don't expect it to actually get released any time soon.

Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:31 pm
Goubot wrote:
Test audiences apparently hated it the first time (for how little that's worth) and they scrambled to make some edits.

I can't wait to see the new happy ending :roll:

Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:06 pm
Vic wrote:
Sci Fi Wasabi wrote:
Vic wrote:

It's been about four years since I read the last one, from memory my favourite aside from the Bourne Series was The Holcroft Covenent. The Scorpio Illusion was very good as well as was The Chancellor Manuscript. The Osterman Weekend was probably my least favourite.[/quote]

The Rhinemann Exchange
was pretty descent. Another really great one I liked a lot was The Parsifal Mosaic. I have been collecting the first editions [not an easy task always] but if you don't want to shell out $9.00 on a paperback I would go the used book route. That was how I read most of his books.

Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:39 am