Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:17 pm

February 08, 2010: "Boredom, Incivility & Other Symptoms" 
Director

Post Re: February 08, 2010: "Boredom, Incivility & Other Symptoms"
Robert Holloway wrote:
nologo wrote:
The internet has been glorious at dividing people further because each side is parroting facts from dubious sources. lolBlogs...
There's no critical thinking anymore. Just a bunch of squawkers spouting off special interest talking points...

I blame parents first and their smelly children second.

So true

Is anything more inane that Twitter

the goal seems to be to get followers and simply pass on junk and make 140 character witticisms

I use it for business but god, it's vacuous

Rob

I'll admit that I follow Roger Ebert, Richard Roeper, Eric D. Snider, and Skip Bayless; in the end, it is a huge waste of time.

Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:38 am
Profile YIM
Robert Holloway wrote:
nologo wrote:
The internet has been glorious at dividing people further because each side is parroting facts from dubious sources. lolBlogs...
There's no critical thinking anymore. Just a bunch of squawkers spouting off special interest talking points...

So true

Is anything more inane that Twitter

the goal seems to be to get followers and simply pass on junk and make 140 character witticisms

I use it for business but god, it's vacuous

Rob

Twitter is only useful if you have something to promote like my blog but I just can't see it being useful for talking to friends even though I do talk to them, that's what facebook is for.

Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:40 am
Director

nologo wrote:

To an extent that's true. However it's not just online where this is going on. There's a reason I don't watch Fox News or MSNBC. It's all shouting for either side (depending on the station) and the other side has to struggle to get a word in. Keith Olbermann and Bill O'Reilly snap at each other. But the basic fact is that the only difference between the two is their ideologies.

I always saw myself subscribing to a political philosophy of what Clint Eastwood once described as Social Libertarianism. Leave people alone if they want to be left alone. Speak your mind freely yet don't try and force views down the throats of people who have no desire to hear them. Let religious people worship as they want to. Let gay people who truly love each other get married if they want to. Maybe in this political climate that's a naive view to have. But I still personally consider it to be the best way to go. If anyone differs fine. I won't shout you down if you try to express an opposing viewpoint. I can't stand the ideologues and zealots on both the extreme left and extreme right that see the other side as not merely wrong or misguided. But evil.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:56 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Jeff Wilder wrote:
nologo wrote:

To an extent that's true. However it's not just online where this is going on. There's a reason I don't watch Fox News or MSNBC. It's all shouting for either side (depending on the station) and the other side has to struggle to get a word in. Keith Olbermann and Bill O'Reilly snap at each other. But the basic fact is that the only difference between the two is their ideologies.

I always saw myself subscribing to a political philosophy of what Clint Eastwood once described as Social Libertarianism. Leave people alone if they want to be left alone. Speak your mind freely yet don't try and force views down the throats of people who have no desire to hear them. Let religious people worship as they want to. Let gay people who truly love each other get married if they want to. Maybe in this political climate that's a naive view to have. But I still personally consider it to be the best way to go. If anyone differs fine. I won't shout you down if you try to express an opposing viewpoint. I can't stand the ideologues and zealots on both the extreme left and extreme right that see the other side as not merely wrong or misguided. But evil.

The right is evil...but I think it has more to do with the dictator in the sky they worship and the manipulation of children than their political insanity that seems to vote for the very things they hate. If you hate the government so much, don't run or don't vote...but since they want to push their religious piety on me, I guess I have to cancel out a vote everytime one of them goes to the booth...

And as for TV, good lord. The disinformation coming out of fox is by no means countered nor equaled in the world. I wouldn't lump MSNBC even off world like fox... Censorship is one thing, but that station spreads that vile - the earth is flat - disinformation without an MsM EVER calling them on it...in fact, just last week you had an entire network disinforming millions of people each night on climate change and kooky senators playing along with the non-sense and the MsM says, the "debate" continues....

We're doomed

Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:32 pm
Critic

nologo wrote:
The right is evil...but I think it has more to do with the dictator in the sky they worship and the manipulation of children than their political insanity that seems to vote for the very things they hate. If you hate the government so much, don't run or don't vote...but since they want to push their religious piety on me, I guess I have to cancel out a vote everytime one of them goes to the booth...

*Sighs*Look, not that this is the forum for this anyway, but whatever. I'm much more on the left than the right, but really...come on. Extremism is the enemy, not the "evil" right. Stalinism was extreme left, and it killed millions. Fascism was extreme right, and it killed millions. It's not as if the world is a happy place of meadows and springs that gets constantly ****ed up by conservatives. Your binary thinking is EXACTLY what Berardinelli is railing against. Good job buddy.

Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:07 pm

JamesKunz wrote:
nologo wrote:

*Sighs*Look, not that this is the forum for this anyway, but whatever. I'm much more on the left than the right, but really...come on. Extremism is the enemy, not the "evil" right. Stalinism was extreme left, and it killed millions. Fascism was extreme right, and it killed millions. It's not as if the world is a happy place of meadows and springs that gets constantly ****ed up by conservatives. Your binary thinking is EXACTLY what Berardinelli is railing against. Good job buddy.

nice try. but i gave an example of the dishonest campaign inflicted by the right in their religious dogma, and their disinformation campaign that is far more dangerous than the MsM gives them credit for. I'm not advocating any ones cause or ideology here, unless you found something in my statement that you can site...but I don't think so. Saying one side is worse than the other is not binary. Its ok to recognize not everything is balanced...

People like to pretend they are "neutral" or "moderate" or whatever balance they need to lie to themselves with every time someone is critical of one side who points out some very dangerous campaigns of ignorance....I'm not advocating anything but the truth, and thats not a left or right "cause", I'm not advocating the left tells the truth any better, but the right it seems, has a monopoly these days at hiding it...and thats dangerous to me because of what they lie about...

Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:25 pm
Critic

nologo wrote:
Saying one side is worse than the other is not binary. Its ok to recognize not everything is balanced...

Indeed. But saying "the right is evil" is certainly binary. And certainly ignorant

Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:31 pm

JamesKunz wrote:
nologo wrote:
Saying one side is worse than the other is not binary. Its ok to recognize not everything is balanced...

Indeed. But saying "the right is evil" is certainly binary. And certainly ignorant

Is it now?

We can talk about the statistics of people that die each year because of campaigns of ignorance from the right on UHC and how that isn't evil...

We can talk about the hazing and picketing of gay people, or the Family going to Uganda to help legislate being gay earning you a death sentence because of campaigns of hatred and ignorance from the right and how that isn't evil...

We can talk about the foundations in Africa that are denied aid because they were handing out condoms which saw, against all expert data, an increase in the spread of HIV and how that isn't evil.

We can talk about the disinformation campaigns against climate change and evolution, naming religious armies by countries of origin except when its muslims, its support for Israel while condemning Jews to hell....and none of that is evil....

Ignoring those things is ignorant, and we do it daily or are complicit. Does that mean I'm voting "liberal"...no...they have a whole other set of problems...are other countries suffering through worse repression and have a nice gold plaque of honor saying "we're evil"...yes, but I'll call a spade a spade thanks very much, and being called ignorant for it, isn't very hard to disprove...

of course, that doesn't mean all conservatives are evil, but to support those in power now, could very well be...

edit to add: didn't mean to get into a political argument even tho I did :P :twisted:

I'm in vancouver (olympic fever) and I'm grumpy about the military helicopters flying over my house at 6:30am....now that's evil

Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:51 pm
Well, isn't this ironic.

Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:40 am
Critic

Tell me about it.

Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:51 am

oh please... :roll:

Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:26 am
You're all a bunch of ****s

Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:45 am
nologo wrote:

JamesKunz has been the voice of reason here. I agree with everything he's said in this debate. Extremism, not simply being to the right or left is the problem.

As for you, nologo, you seem to be well-informed and intelligent, but when you begin posts with a phrase such as, "The right is evil" people are rarely going to take you seriously. Following that up with a statement as utterly erroneous as, "If you hate the government so much, don't run or don't vote..." is equally detrimental to credibility. The entire point of how our government is structured is so citizens who do hate certain things have the ability to run for office or vote to change what they hate. Its almost as silly as saying, "Well, if you don't like America, then leave!" No. Stay and try to change the things you don't like. Not running for office or voting is a form of passive compliance, to me.

Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:44 pm
Vic wrote:
You're all a bunch of ****s

Is anyone else getting bored around here? James should open up a PERSONAL ARCADE to keep ADD people interested. :P

Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:26 pm