Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:30 am




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Thoughts on the Oscars after the fact 
Author Message
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6488
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Thoughts on the Oscars after the fact
Pedro wrote:
If Avatar was more on the level of The Dark Knight in terms of thematic control and ultimate impact, I'd say he did the best directing of the past fifty years. But he didn't.


Well I'm not going to get into my anti-dark Knight rant because if I do Ragnarok will descend on this thread and call be a retard, but suffice it to say that I've never seen a film that looks remotely like Avatar. I stopped looking for the seams because there weren't any. It was involving, enthralling, and it placed me in this new and fascinating world. The difference between it and District 9, also nominated for Best Special Effects, is astonishing. Like the difference between Star Wars and Logan's Run. And back in 1977, I certainly would have given Lucas Best Director even while I gave Annie Hall Best

Picture.
Pedro wrote:
Now if you want to say Quentin Tarantino did a better job, now we're having a conversation


Well that just goes without saying, and this coming from a person who hasn't been blown away by a QT flick since 1994

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:47 pm
Profile
Post Re: Thoughts on the Oscars after the fact
JamesKunz wrote:
Pedro wrote:
If Avatar was more on the level of The Dark Knight in terms of thematic control and ultimate impact, I'd say he did the best directing of the past fifty years. But he didn't.


Well I'm not going to get into my anti-dark Knight rant because if I do Ragnarok will descend on this thread and call be a retard, but suffice it to say that I've never seen a film that looks remotely like Avatar. I stopped looking for the seams because there weren't any. It was involving, enthralling, and it placed me in this new and fascinating world. The difference between it and District 9, also nominated for Best Special Effects, is astonishing. Like the difference between Star Wars and Logan's Run. And back in 1977, I certainly would have given Lucas Best Director even while I gave Annie Hall Best Picture.


I probably would have given Lucas director, too, over Allen. Allen's definitely a better writer than he is a director.

JamesKunz wrote:
Pedro wrote:
Now if you want to say Quentin Tarantino did a better job, now we're having a conversation


Well that just goes without saying, and this coming from a person who hasn't been blown away by a QT flick since 1994


That makes both of us. XD


Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:07 pm
Director

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:44 pm
Posts: 1531
Post Re: Thoughts on the Oscars after the fact
Quote:
What does any of that have to do with the Oscars? How often do the Academy Awards reflect the view of critics? The Academy Awards are pure Hollywood politics.


You claim that Hurt Locker & Bigelow won purely due to political reasons, & imply that Basterds was the clear critical choice. Like I said before, in what way was Basterds the clear critical favorite? What is your evidence? the opinions of dudes on the internet? Like I said earlier, it didn't win any major critics awards(which Pulp did BTW), so how did it get shafted by politics by not winning? It was never a contender.
Let's look at this in a different way. Say Basterds was directed by a woman. HL by a man. HL wins every single freaking award of note leading up to the Oscars, but somehow loses to a film with less support, but directed by a woman. Then you could logically make a case of something being fishy. But you're trying to pin this hypothesis when the opposite happens, when the flick with all the support actually wins.

It seems like most you are incapable of being objective in this matter. Since your favorite didn't win you need to justify why. And don't let that moron Streisand & the producers of the broadcast of the oscars let your emotions get in the way of facts, HL had everything going in its favor regardless of who directed it well before that night.

here is a list of the ONLY films in the last 20 years to win the Best Picture award of the National Society of Film Critics, the NY Film Critics, & the LA Critics.I know a lot of you don't work in the idustry, but the 2nd these awards are announced, many ads start appearing in the trades which trumpet these facts...& guess who reads the trades. These awards are a major factor in shaping up the 'races.' If HL didn't win any of these awards, I'm pretty skeptical it would have even been nominated regardless of the 'woman' nonsense. (had no stars, no high profile director, didn't get a wide release, came out last summer,& made only 12 mill...with stats like that you need awards to get in the game) While Basterds was gonna get nominated no matter what - it made 100 mill, got raves & was directed by a high profile director(who directed a previous Best Pic nominee)


Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:36 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:44 pm
Posts: 1531
Post Re: Thoughts on the Oscars after the fact
The Hurt Locker
LA Confidential
Schindler's List
Goodfellas

So 2 of the overwhelming critical favorites those years went on to win Best Picture. Goodfellas lost to Dances With Wolves & LA Confidential lost to Titanic, & both winners were in the vein of so many of the past epics they honored. I don't think any film nominated in 2009 could have beaten either Titanic or Dances With Wolves frankly. They were the 'types' of films that historically won Oscars(& the Oscars were a lot more conservative back then, American Beauty really changed the perception of the kinds of films that could seriously contend for the title. But then again it didn't have to compete with an old school epic)

There was no film of this 'type' this year, & Basterds sure as hell wasn't it. Neither was Avatar, on paper(Sci-fi? are you kidding me? the BO was what kept it in it) So in a way it was a pretty pure race this year, an even playing field & Hurt Locker was able to hold onto that big lead from the start (but if Invictus or Nine got half the critical support that Hurt Locker got, I think things may have worked out a bit differently)


Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:37 pm
Profile
Post Re: Thoughts on the Oscars after the fact
While I stand by my earlier point that some of the Oscar trophies are deemed more meaningful than others (Bullock's win being a case of charity, at least compared to some recent recipients (and, again, in my opinion)) I concede my admittedly sexist point to calvero. As calvero came in and all but obliterated my argument I really have no choice - he had facts, I had speculation.

Though I believe discussion of Academy politics is worthwhile, best leave it in the hands of evidence and not embarrassing assumptions. I feel schooled and a bit stupid... I could probably use that more often.


Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:52 pm
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6488
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Thoughts on the Oscars after the fact
If it's any consolation Major, I thought your point about Bullock vs. Bigelow is a good one

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:31 pm
Profile
Post Re: Thoughts on the Oscars after the fact
My girlfriend and I watched it last night

It reinforced why i dislike the Oscars

Hosts were dreadful and gutless
Presenters were dull and scripted to death
Jon Hughes sequence was out of order - he's not THAT important
Speeches were simply boring - SB aside

I disagree with many of the winners
Sandra Bullock's win is oscar's answer to the globes with Pia Zadora

I guess I've slid into the don't care group.
Though i was glad the ridiculously over praised Avatar was locked out of the biggies

Doubt I'll even DVR it next year
Rob


Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:38 pm
Post Re: Thoughts on the Oscars after the fact
The Oscars are best consumed on paper the Monday after the Kodak locks up for the night.


Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:36 pm
Post Re: Thoughts on the Oscars after the fact
I put together a few comments about this year's awards.


Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:59 pm
Post Re: Thoughts on the Oscars after the fact


You know, all your points are totally valid and I even agree with most of them. Still, your entry begs the response, "You didn't know the Academy was a fail?" And you do, that's the thing.

I had a conversation with my friend the other day about how Inglourious Basterds was the best mainstream film of the year. He said it wasn't an "Academy movie". He's right; it's not. The Hurt Locker, Avatar, Precious, and Up in the Air are. I mean, isn't that the most obvious thing in the world? Is it worth putting forth the energy to say, "Inglourious deserved that award more!" Of course it did. But it's not an Academy movie.

The way I see it, you either stop caring about the Oscars or start predicting them. I imagine most people on the board will go down the route of apathy. Really, if you're not having fun with the Oscars, then what's the point? I realize that wasn't the point of your blog, but I'm just sayin'.


Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:36 pm
Post Re: Thoughts on the Oscars after the fact
In truth, I did expect a fail, and I suspected there might be a sweep, but the two main things I wanted to address were:

1. The marketing tactic of manufactured break-out success stories, which is becoming more brazen than ever these days.

2. The new low of giving the cinematography award to a movie that, frankly, had very little cinematography at all--let alone any of note.


Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:39 pm
Post Re: Thoughts on the Oscars after the fact
I think the fact that Avatar won the cinematography category implies that the way the nominees and winners are chosen needs some revamping. Normally the cinematographers section of the Academy chooses the five nominees and then the ENTIRE Academy chooses the winner. So, we have people who don't even know what cinematography is choosing the award for cinematography!
it should be the other way around. Let EVERYONE in the Academy vote for the five nominees, and then ONLY the Cinematographers section choose a winner of its 5 nominees.


Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:46 am
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr