Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:04 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Critics you respect apart from James 
Post Re: Critics you respect apart from James
mailedbypostman wrote:
JamesBond007 wrote:
Glaswegian wrote:
James (of course), Ebert and Kermode. Kermode is passionate and funny.

I used to follow Chris Dunkley when he wrote for the FT - I still read Nigel Andrews at the FT now and again.

James is one of the critics you respect apart from James?

:lol:.

He's obviosuly referring to the other James. In between having car chases and escaping melting ice castles, James Bond has plenty of time to sit down and write out elegant movie reviews. :P

Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:40 pm
Back in the old days (USENET), I read Mark Leeper all the time, and of course Mr. Berardinelli.

When the web took off, kept reading James, and added Ebert. Now, I only read James and Ebert. Sometimes, I'll look at the composite scores on Metacritc, but the only reviews I read are James and Roger.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:47 pm
JamesBond007 wrote:
Glaswegian wrote:
James (of course), Ebert and Kermode. Kermode is passionate and funny.

I used to follow Chris Dunkley when he wrote for the FT - I still read Nigel Andrews at the FT now and again.

James is one of the critics you respect apart from James?

You haven't heard of James - THE critic? Where have you been?? :lol: :lol:

Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:57 pm
Roger Ebert
Peter Travers
Pauline Kael
Owen Gleiberman (except his irrational hatred of the Coens)
Lisa Schwartzbaum

Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:50 pm
Does anyone know if James Berardinelli has ever listed some of his favorite critics? It would be interesting to find out who he reads on a regular basis, to keep track of the rest of the critiquing world, and to see how others' opinions vary from his...

Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:52 pm
etifupleez wrote:
Does anyone know if James Berardinelli has ever listed some of his favorite critics? It would be interesting to find out who he reads on a regular basis, to keep track of the rest of the critiquing world, and to see how others' opinions vary from his...

He likes Ebert. That's all I know.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:06 pm
mailedbypostman wrote:
etifupleez wrote:

Who doesn't? That's what I want to know.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:16 pm
The only other reviewer I follow is Roger Ebert. He and James are polar opposites, but I enjoy them both equally.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:00 pm
Ebert and Schwartz.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:27 am
etifupleez wrote:
mailedbypostman wrote:
etifupleez wrote:

Who doesn't? That's what I want to know.

He answered this question in the site's FAQ which you should read.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:31 am
derangedperson wrote:
Roger Ebert
Peter Travers
Pauline Kael
Owen Gleiberman (except his irrational hatred of the Coens)
Lisa Schwartzbaum

Every year my kids bring home magazine listings from their school. Some funds go to the school. Every year i end up subscribing to Entertainment Weekly because it's cheap.

I read it each week in about 10 minutes. It's a complete waste of my money IMHO but I view it as a donation.

I have to say that Owen Gleiberman and Lisa Schwartzbaum are 2nd rate in comparison with James and many others.

I'm curious that you rank them with Ebert, Kael and Travers?

Cheers
Rob

Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:02 am
The Spill Crew - http://www.spill.com

May not be politically correct but thoroughly entertaining and funny as hell :D

Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:11 am
I usually don't usually bother with any critic besides James and Ebert. I happen to agree with James about 75% of the time, and with Ebert about 60% of the time. And I do agree that Ebert has become "kinder" after his illness.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:35 am
I know this is blasphemy, but I'm not really a big fan of Ebert as everybody else seems to be. I don't really understand his review style -- he likes to ramble on about stuff, describing in his own words the film's plot and the characters and themes. I find he'll usually go on and on and end up spoiling half the movie before stopping and telling some other tangential anecdote or a larger insight on the film industry.

It's not uninteresting to read, but I'm often not sure how he actually felt about movie until I see the star rating.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:29 am
I look primarily for a reviewer I can trust. Reviewers earn my trust in two ways: 1) Giving judgements that agree with mine, and 2) Supporting what they say.

Last year when I liked some movie and noticed it got mainly rotten tomatoes, I read about a dozen of the reviews looking for support for the negative reviews. In about 12 reviews I found one sentence of substantial support. Hard to believe, but true. WEll, there was a second sentence that was sort of support. So it's pretty easy to see why critics like Ebert and James stand head and shoulders above the rest--they actually support what they claim.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:08 pm
Gaffer

Roger Ebert
Scott Weinberg
David Cornelius
Brian Orndorf
Erik Childress
Peter Sobczynski
Dustin Putnam

Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:09 am
James is the critic I follow the most. I read all of his reviews no matter what score he gave it. I read Ebert too every once in awhile. Peter Travers is the only other critic besides James where I read all of his reviews. The guy is just freakin' funny. And I tend to agree with him alot. I sometimes read Michael Phillips too.

Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:40 am
Producer

I'll enjoy reading/hearing/seeing ANYBODY really. I even like the two Ben's who host At the Movies. And Jeffrey Lyons and Allison Bailes in the now unfortunately canceled Reel Talk.

Besides those four, the ones I follow most are:

Bill Wine
The EW critics
The Philadelphia Inquirer critics
Dustin Putman
Roger Ebert
The USA Today critics
Joblo

Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:33 am
Both David Denby and Anthony Lane from The New Yorker are excellent. Both are perceptive critics that seem to consider the film under question as the only movie ever made.

Bob Mondello and David Edelstein, usually heard by me on NPR, are another pair of good critics. They spin reviews around current trends and make the "factiest" arguments against film one is likely to hear.

David Bianculli, usually a TV critic, offers the best film criticism I've heard on the radio. Always reviewing movies, from the lowest of the low to the highest art, as if they're sacred objects being debated for inclusion in The Met.

Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:16 am
Assistant Director

Roger Ebert
Michael Phillips
AO Scott

Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:46 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next