Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:45 pm

Jan. 31, 2009: "The Third Dimension" 
Post Re: Jan. 31, 2009: "The Third Dimension"
For me, personally, as long as 3-D costs more money/there are no 2-D showings of a particular movie, I will always stick with 2-D. I know many people who feel the same way, but 3-D films to seem to be highly profitable and I suspect the trend will stay around for a while.

Now, I have never heard of Showscan and wasn't alive in the 80's, but it seemed like it would be a cool idea. Was there any particular reason why this disappeared?

Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:16 pm
Forget 3D!
I'm waiting for films shown in the 4th dimension.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:18 am
jmayer wrote:
Forget 3D!
I'm waiting for films shown in the 4th dimension.

So movies can go back to the future? Like Timecop?!

Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:22 am
James Berardinelli, in the original posting, wrote:
The cool-looking but cheaply made plastic glasses are uncomfortable for those who wear spectacles and will continue to be so until such time as clip-ons or prescription 3-D (polarized) glasses are available. (This will happen sooner rather than later if 3-D catches on - I'd spend a few bucks on clip-ons now.)

How about thirty bucks?

Circular Polarized Clip-ons at 3DStero.com

Aviator-style glasses are also available for a similar price.

(BTW, I'm not affiliated with the company and didn't do much research - you might want to look for other sellers.)

RealD (which is the same as Disney Digital 3D, and is being used for a vast majority of 3D releases) uses circular polarization. The benefit of this is that the quality of the 3D effect doesn't deteriorate if your head deviates from 100% vertical. IMAX 3D uses linear polarization, which suffers from that problem. You need to have the right sort of 3D polarized glasses (circular or linear) for either system to work.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:38 pm
Site Admin

ThatManAgain wrote:
The cool-looking but cheaply made plastic glasses are uncomfortable for those who wear spectacles and will continue to be so until such time as clip-ons or prescription 3-D (polarized) glasses are available. (This will happen sooner rather than later if 3-D catches on - I'd spend a few bucks on clip-ons now.)

How about thirty bucks?

Okay, so I couldn't resist. I did a little searching and found that $30 is about the cheapest these come for, so I ordered a pair. They should arrive next week, which would allow me to use them for the screening of Monsters vs. Aliens, which is on March 4. If nothing else, they should eliminate the discomfort inherent i wearing the theater-provided glasses, which will greatly increase the likelihood of my enjoying 3D movies.

As for the different polarization used by IMAX 3D - I'll have to deal with that. I have never actually seen a 3D film in IMAX, so it probably won't be much of an issue. I know Avatar is supposed to be released in both 2D, 3D (conventional theaters), and IMAX 3D, so I'll just have to choose the middle option.

Thanks for alerting me to this.

Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:03 am
Profile WWW
James Berardinelli wrote:
ThatManAgain wrote:

How about thirty bucks?

Okay, so I couldn't resist. I did a little searching and found that $30 is about the cheapest these come for, so I ordered a pair. They should arrive next week, which would allow me to use them for the screening of Monsters vs. Aliens, which is on March 4. If nothing else, they should eliminate the discomfort inherent i wearing the theater-provided glasses, which will greatly increase the likelihood of my enjoying 3D movies.

As for the different polarization used by IMAX 3D - I'll have to deal with that. I have never actually seen a 3D film in IMAX, so it probably won't be much of an issue. I know Avatar is supposed to be released in both 2D, 3D (conventional theaters), and IMAX 3D, so I'll just have to choose the middle option.

Thanks for alerting me to this.

How did that turn out?

Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:33 pm
Site Admin

Pedro wrote:
How did that turn out?

The glasses worked as expected, but the whole experience of watching Monsters vs. Aliens will spawn another ReelThoughts.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:15 pm
Profile WWW