Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:23 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
The Official Berardinelli Live Oscar Commentary Thread 
Post Re: The Official Berardinelli Live Oscar Commentary Thread
Is it just me, or did QT look like he'd spent the night locked in the trunk of someone's car?

Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:29 am
oafolay wrote:
Boy, I bet James Cameron is walking home right now with his dick in a big wheelbarrow full of money.
Fixed.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:30 am
Director

And the Avatar fanboys are out in spades on imdb; holy crap, you think all the posters' mothers were shot as a result. It's just an Oscar. Get over it.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:33 am
DylnFan96818 wrote:
And the Avatar fanboys are out in spades on imdb; holy crap, you think all the posters' mothers were shot as a result. It's just an Oscar. Get over it.

Yeah I can only stand the IMDB message boards for about 16 seconds. I'm really happy James started the forum here, it trumps IMDB. Every asshole under the age of 14 seems to be a member and every post turns out like this.

I think Avatar is the greatest movie ever IMHO!

AVATAR sucks!!!!!!!! And you're an idiot if you like it.

I think Avatar was a complete ripoff but you're both gay....

and etc.

Blah it's mentally exhausting.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:42 am
Director

Don't forget the argument that Avatar's box office gross was greater than THL's, so it must be a better film. Of course it was.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:48 am
Sci Fi Wasabi wrote:
For a minute I thought I was on acid, then realized it is yet again the pointless dance bits that do not fit to theme nor music...

Could they have skipped over David Carradine faster in the lost people montage? And uh, why was MJ in there?!? Once again though it was informative for me, didn't know Roy Disney passed...

My guess is they really REALLY liked Captain EO

Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:49 am
Ken wrote:
oafolay wrote:
Boy, I bet James Cameron is walking home right now with his dick in a big wheelbarrow full of money.
Fixed.

That to.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:53 am
James Berardinelli wrote:
Too many users on the forums caused a crash of the entire database, so here (for posterity's sake) is what was missed:

Post #13 (11:38 pm EST):

Award #17: Best Foreign Language Film - THE SECRET IN THEIR EYES [12/17]- I don't think anyone expected this. And I don't think anyone in this country has seen it.

Acceptance speech: ** out of ****

Award #18: Best Actor – Jeff Bridges [13/18]

Acceptance speech: ** out of **** - Soaking it in. The speech started out nice, but then the thank yous started and it just went on and on and on. Is there anyone he didn't thank?

Actually a Yahoo Movies article on how to pick the Oscars predicted it, saying the Argentine movie could upset ... wish I had the link.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:56 am
I like to imagine James Cameron having a huge vault of his Billions that he can dive into like Scrooge McDuck. :D

Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:57 am
ShrunkenHead wrote:
I like to imagine James Cameron having a huge vault of his Billions that he can dive into like Scrooge McDuck. :D

I know I would.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:06 am
Site Admin

For anyone who's interested, you can go over to the Competitions thread and see who won the Beat Berardinelli contest. The short story: Pedro and pableaux both got 18/21. Pedro won on the AVATAR gross tie-break. A total of 14 contestants beat my total of 15/21. All the details and individual scores are in a post at the end of the Beat Berardinelli competition thread.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:56 am
Profile WWW
It was as bad of a show as usual as far as production and execution but one thing I'll gripe about is that Mo'Nique should have gotten up there and been funny instead trying to make it all heavy, which backfired on her. But it's hard to single her out for having made an unbearable "speech"...

Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:57 am
Congrats Pedro!

Watched the whole thing in 25 minutes with the fast forward button on!

The only way to watch the Oscars, IMO.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:03 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

jksander wrote:
James Berardinelli wrote:
Too many users on the forums caused a crash of the entire database, so here (for posterity's sake) is what was missed:

Post #13 (11:38 pm EST):

Award #17: Best Foreign Language Film - THE SECRET IN THEIR EYES [12/17]- I don't think anyone expected this. And I don't think anyone in this country has seen it.

Acceptance speech: ** out of ****

Award #18: Best Actor – Jeff Bridges [13/18]

Acceptance speech: ** out of **** - Soaking it in. The speech started out nice, but then the thank yous started and it just went on and on and on. Is there anyone he didn't thank?

Actually a Yahoo Movies article on how to pick the Oscars predicted it, saying the Argentine movie could upset ... wish I had the link.

This one is rather interesting. I wonder how these people vote? I do not think they watch any of these films or read reviews. This way they would have known that "The White Ribbon" won the main prize at Cannes and a lot of other prizes. The fact that it is German is a minus for these people, but it is antifascist, that might compensate (see The Counterfeiters). The prophet won the runner-up prize at Cannes and swept Cesars, but it is French, of course, a big minus. So these two films have a huge critical acclaim, which should probably compensate for the anti-European bias. The Argentine film has good reviews, but not anywhere near.

It looks like the voting process on the foreign film is 1) purely random - just pick a number 1 to 5; 2) bias-driven, like Latin - neutral, German - minus, French - double minus. Nothing else comes to mind.

On ignoring "Avatar" - this is pure penis envy. I am all for small movies, but The Hurt Locker is not an outstanding small movie. Awarding Avatar would look good ten years later and The Hurt Locker will go to WTF category, together with Crash (most people will likely remeber Cronenberg's fim, not Haggis'), Shakespeare In Love etc. Cameron is not a crowd pleaser, but he certainly had the cojones to bet 500 million and win, that is unprecedented.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:10 am
jksander wrote:
Sci Fi Wasabi wrote:
For a minute I thought I was on acid, then realized it is yet again the pointless dance bits that do not fit to theme nor music...

Could they have skipped over David Carradine faster in the lost people montage? And uh, why was MJ in there?!? Once again though it was informative for me, didn't know Roy Disney passed...

Who?

Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:19 am
Just remembered the In Memoriam section skipped over Edward Woodward.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:22 am
Victor Meldrew wrote:
jksander wrote:
Sci Fi Wasabi wrote:

Who?

It was some show at Epcot that's recently re-added. It was directed by Francis Ford Coppola, produced by George Lucas and it starred Michael Jackson as Captain EO.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:49 am
Patrick wrote:
It was some show at Epcot that's recently re-added. It was directed by Francis Ford Coppola, produced by George Lucas and it starred Michael Jackson as Captain EO.

Thanks.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:17 pm
Patrick wrote:

I actually have a DVD copy of that movie. For some reason...

Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:18 pm
Sebastian wrote:
Patrick wrote:

I actually have a DVD copy of that movie because I have poor taste.

Explained.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:24 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next