Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:27 am




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Possible Oscar Upsets 
Author Message
Post Re: Possible Oscar Upsets
Pedro wrote:
gkanchan wrote:
Guess what guys...
I think that most likely:
Christoph Waltz will NOT win best supporting actor; they will give it to Christopher Plummer. I'm almost sure.


I don't think that will happen. :x Christoph Waltz has swept nearly all of the precursors, and the precursors are generally a good determiner.


I hope it doesn't happen since Waltz is clearly the best of the bunch. Let's not forget that Eddie Murphy swept everything and was a supposed lock too.


Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:21 am
Post Re: Possible Oscar Upsets
ed_metal_head wrote:
Pedro wrote:
gkanchan wrote:
Guess what guys...
I think that most likely:
Christoph Waltz will NOT win best supporting actor; they will give it to Christopher Plummer. I'm almost sure.


I don't think that will happen. :x Christoph Waltz has swept nearly all of the precursors, and the precursors are generally a good determiner.


I hope it doesn't happen since Waltz is clearly the best of the bunch. Let's not forget that Eddie Murphy swept everything and was a supposed lock too.


Yeah, but he made Norbit. XD Waltz has no Norbit.


Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:26 am
Post Re: Possible Oscar Upsets
ed_metal_head wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
ADayintheLife1979 wrote:
Honestly, I think there is actually a very good chance that Inglourious Basterds will take Best Picture, and not in a "wishful thinking" sense. If The Hurt Locker and Avatar vie for Best Picture at equal levels...the independent vs. the populist...it may cause enough vote-splitting for IB to shine through.

Erik


First: I remember you! All kinds of coolness in this forum in the past 24 hours!


Me too. Erik was the Fresca guy! I'm still hoping that he's going to give us the real life story of The Informant!


OT

You're going to have to refresh my memory on the "Fresca" thing (forgive me, I turned 30, and with old age comes severe memory loss).

Second, I didn't really live in Decatur during the time of The Informant (moved here in 1997 after all the craziness had died down). BUT, I can tell you that the hotel I used to work at here in Decatur was used for about 50% of the locations on the film. It's really disconcerting to see a caption stating that the characters are in California and then see them walk through the lobby near the front desk you used to stand behind.

Erik


Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:37 am
Post Re: Possible Oscar Upsets
I really hope The White Ribbon wins best cinematography because it deserves it. It's a long shot I know but it's better than all the other nominees in my opinion. Although I haven't seen HP6...The Hurt Locker's cinematography is solid and so is Inglorious Basterds. Avatar=meh...indifferent.


Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:02 am
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2192
Post Re: Possible Oscar Upsets
Lord knows I'm not the biggest fan of Avatar but the camera work in the movie is positively breathtaking. It deserves to win for it's cinematography IMO. More so than for it's visual effects IMO.


Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:20 pm
Profile
Post Re: Possible Oscar Upsets
So I thought the biggest upsets were The Secret in Their Eyes for Best Foreign Language Film (I warned you) and Precious for Best Adapted Screenplay (who fuckin' knew). I'm also a bit surprised that The Hurt Locker took both sound categories. I thought it would take Sound Mixing or neither, not both.

When the screenplay for Precious won, I thought that Sidibe would take Best Actress in an upset. I was wrong. Instead, we had to watch Sandra Bullock make her witty quote about wearing the audience down.


Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:24 am
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2192
Post Re: Possible Oscar Upsets
I actually LOVED Bullock's speech. I don't think she deserved to win, but it was a lovely, classy, funny, sweet and kind of touching speech. But then I adore Bullock. I think she's a good actress and is a very gorgeous, funny and classy woman!

Anyway, I thought she gave the best speech of the night. Jeff Bridges gave a great speech too though.


Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:49 am
Profile
Post Re: Possible Oscar Upsets
Pedro wrote:
So I thought the biggest upsets were The Secret in Their Eyes for Best Foreign Language Film (I warned you) and Precious for Best Adapted Screenplay (who fuckin' knew). I'm also a bit surprised that The Hurt Locker took both sound categories. I thought it would take Sound Mixing or neither, not both.

When the screenplay for Precious won, I thought that Sidibe would take Best Actress in an upset. I was wrong. Instead, we had to watch Sandra Bullock make her witty quote about wearing the audience down.


Congrats on the victory, Pedro. Your relentless logic, combined with sound instincts, has made Jimmy Berardinelli $35 poorer. That's the new American Dream. Any idea what your DVD choice will be?


Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:08 pm
Post Re: Possible Oscar Upsets
I'm also curious to know what Pedro's pick is going to be. Let us in on the fun. I want to live vicariously through you and anticipate a brand new DVD arriving at my doorstep with a maximum value of $35! Unlike you, I'll be disappointed when it never arrives.


Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:21 pm
Post Re: Possible Oscar Upsets
Danke, guys. I picked this movie:

Image

Starring this guy:

Image

Who was recently in:

Image and Image

And is going to be in:

Image


Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:40 pm
Post Re: Possible Oscar Upsets
Awesome pick. Presumably. Netflix is sending it after Jeanne Dielman 23, quai du Commerce 1080 Bruxelles (yes, that's the title) is returned.

Fish Tank was amazing, IB... its been said. Mr. Fassbinder is shaping up to be one of the essential actors of recent memory.


Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:00 pm
Post Re: Possible Oscar Upsets
ADayintheLife1979 wrote:
You're going to have to refresh my memory on the "Fresca" thing (forgive me, I turned 30, and with old age comes severe memory loss).

Second, I didn't really live in Decatur during the time of The Informant (moved here in 1997 after all the craziness had died down). BUT, I can tell you that the hotel I used to work at here in Decatur was used for about 50% of the locations on the film. It's really disconcerting to see a caption stating that the characters are in California and then see them walk through the lobby near the front desk you used to stand behind.

Erik


http://reelviews.net/reelviewsforum/viewtopic.php?p=16092#p16092

Thanks for that piece of trivia though. I appreciated it.


Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:56 am
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr