Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:28 am

Flash Adverts 
Post Flash Adverts
The worst ads you've had yet. Two vertical flash advertisements, that appear centrally over the page on the home page and reviews (actually all pages in your site bar forums) with no way to get rid of them. Cannot see your reviews or rating on the home page and half the movie information on the reviews page, and the archives are useless.

Using IE8.

---Edit---

They are from an ad company called Criteo and you have to opt out of them by clicking through. It works but I've never come acrose this type of adsvertising before.

Last edited by Zedferret on Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:42 pm
Post Re: Flash Adverts
Have you tried refreshing the page?

Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:45 pm
Site Admin

Interesting. I've never seen them and I load my site about a dozen times a day for various reasons (usually to check that it's up and functioning properly). Must be geo-targeted. I'll look into it. Problem is, with five different ad providers, it can be very difficult honing in on a particular ad.

Usually, refreshing once or twice should get rid of the ad, replacing it with something less intrusive.

My apologies for the inconvenience.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:39 pm
Profile WWW
No apologies necessary :-)

But they are a pain

Rob

Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:11 pm
They have come back again. Even worse than before. Can't shut them down, refreshing doesn't do anything, your site is essentially unusable for me for all pages apart from forums. They are definatly targeted, I'm UK based and am getting UK specific advertisments. Even the banner ads are a pain, but the over the top ads are ruinous.

---edit--

They might me sidebar ads that are not positioning correctly that everntally go away if i cycle through 7 or 8 pages through your site.

Another Example

Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:52 pm
Holy crap, that's really bad.

Not sure if you're wedded to IE, but might I suggest Firefox + the Flashblock extension.

Flashblock is an extension for the Mozilla, Firefox, and Netscape browsers that takes a pessimistic approach to dealing with Macromedia Flash content on a webpage and blocks ALL Flash content from loading. It then leaves placeholders on the webpage that allow you to click to download and then view the Flash content.

Non-flash based ads are not blocked, so you won't be engaging in "theft of services".

Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:55 pm
I get the same problem with Firefox, although I don't have the add-on. I just don't want to have to use a diffeent browser just for this site (not the forums). I'm sure its sidebar flash not positioning correctly.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:09 am
Here's something that might help, though it might not be the solution you're looking for:

There's a tiny and free application called "Toggle Flash" for IE8. Once installed a little button appears in the browser's toolbar that let's you switch flash on or off for that site only.

Here's the link for more information:
http://flash.melameth.com/togflash.html

Both Lifehacker and Gizmodo recommend the download, so it should be pretty safe.

Of course, this doesn't fix the usability of Reelviews. It just hides the problem from your view. I can't imagine that no-one else is affected.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:34 pm
Post Ads that cover the page.
I've suddenly had the same issue i had back in the summer with ads covering part of the page content. This time I caught it in the act on two occasions, both after having refreshed the page.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:27 pm
Post Re: Ads that cover the page.
Dragonbeard wrote:
I've suddenly had the same issue i had back in the summer with ads covering part of the page content. This time I caught it in the act on two occasions, both after having refreshed the page.

Is it the same thing as Zedferret's problem?

Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:34 pm
Doesn't work in this case (and I have tried). I'm sure Its incorrectly positioned sidebar advertising. With both IE8 and Firefox. This is the only site I have trouble with. Look at the image below, I have one ad right in the center and another further down on the right, not so intrusive but definatly incorrectly placed.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:53 pm
I don't know what to say again other than that I feel your pain. Dragonbeard recently started a topic in the Open Forum for what I believe is a similar problem. He's in the UK too, so there's a good chance that most of the British visitors are affected by this. Hopefully it goes away or James finds a solution.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:07 pm
Have a look at Zedferret's post in the Feedback section. He included some pictures so you can see if it's the same thing. Unfortunately there's no solution yet:

http://reelviews.net/reelviewsforum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=2212&p=45050#p45050

Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:09 pm
Director

Same problem here. A pop-up occurs and the ad covers 1/3 of the home page. It's annoying as Hell. :evil:

Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:54 pm
Profile YIM
Alright, it seems that people are having the similar problems so I merged this into Zedferret's topic.

And take a look at Zed's first post since he figured it out.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:18 pm
I only wish I had figured it out. But they always come back.

Heres what I get if I try the archives (allthough all pages are like this)

Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:56 pm
So opt-outing the ads don't work permanently?

Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:39 pm
Site Admin

Unfortunately, I can't troubleshoot the problem effectively since I'm not experiencing it on any of the three browsers I use (Firefox, IE, Chrome).

There is an issue with the top banner ad on IE. This is the result of a nonstandard "tweak" that Microsoft recently employed for IE - it causes the top banner ad to load on top of the ReelViews logo. The problem does not occur with either Chrome or Firefox.

You'd think that the way Microsoft is losing browser share (IE is down to about 60% where it was at 88% not too long ago), they'd be interested in making IE fully compatible with the other browsers.

I'm probably going to have to tweak the top banner ad placement to see if I can fix the IE problem w/o breaking it for the other browsers - always a challenge.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:34 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

James Berardinelli wrote:
There is an issue with the top banner ad on IE. This is the result of a nonstandard "tweak" that Microsoft recently employed for IE - it causes the top banner ad to load on top of the ReelViews logo. The problem does not occur with either Chrome or Firefox.

You'd think that the way Microsoft is losing browser share (IE is down to about 60% where it was at 88% not too long ago), they'd be interested in making IE fully compatible with the other browsers.

I'm probably going to have to tweak the top banner ad placement to see if I can fix the IE problem w/o breaking it for the other browsers - always a challenge.

This is now fixed (I think). Some trial-and-error resulted in a change that fixes the IE issue without screwing up Firefox. It's because IE and Firefox/Chrome handle margins differently. This has always been a source of grumbling for CSS coders. That's why standards are important.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:59 pm
Profile WWW
Still the same, I'm afraid. Its NOT an IE issue. Firefox does exactly the same thing.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:44 am