Best animated technique.
Hand-drawn 65%  65%  [ 13 ]
CGI 25%  25%  [ 5 ]
stop-motion 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Other 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 20

Poll #40: Best Animated Technique 
Post Poll #40: Best Animated Technique
Self-explanatory since we all are children at heart...or at least we better.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:28 am
Post Re: Poll #40: Best Animated Technique
I'm a hand-drawn man myself.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:29 am
They all have their merits and drawbacks, but in the end, hand drawn linework is most expressive to my eyes.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:05 am
Director

CGI, hand drawn is a very close second. When CGI is spot on, the characters can have such human emotions brought out to life and it's great to watch.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:08 pm
Profile YIM
Here's the deal. Hand drawn all the way. Yes, I love the Pixar films, I do, but if I had to chose I would pick the Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pinochio, Peter Pan, and Robin Hood over any pixar title.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:25 pm
I'll agree that there have been plenty of excellent computer-animated efforts over the years (particularly from Pixar) but I'll always be partial to hand-drawn.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:19 pm
Director

Count me in for another Hand Drawn vote.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:23 am
Another vote for hand drawn. I prefer the 'warmth' and so forth. CGI has too clean a look for my tastes.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:34 am
Call me old-fashioned, but hand-drawn is still my favorite. Nothing against the other choices, they all have their merits, but I agree with major about the 'warmth' and so forth.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:50 am
Not wanting to be difficult but this poll is sort of odd

One of my favorite films of 2009 was a claymation marvel from Australia - Mary & Max. It's a great story, told with wit and style

Pixar films are brilliant because of their stories. I did not cry in up because of the animated style, but because of the brilliant kaleidoscopic perspective on growing old

Jungle book is a brilliant story with awesome music and voice work

I love great animated films. I love all styles from hand drawn, through rotoscoping, CGI and claymation. hell, i even like South Park

The only way to answer this question is to see the same story told with multiple different animated techniques.

Rob

But if you push me I'll go with Aardman's Wallace and Gromit animated style

Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:05 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
Another vote for hand drawn. I prefer the 'warmth' and so forth. CGI has too clean a look for my tastes.

I get your point, but would you say the opening sequences of Wall-E look "clean"?
Rob

Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:07 pm
Stop motion for me...only because I grew up playing with clay and making stop motion animations with polaroids of my clay figured lol...

True stop motion just has that hands on, almost a little crude look that I love. Hand Drawn is my second favorite though for sure.

On a side note, I also think the various styles can be combined effectively to get the best out of each...

Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:26 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:

One of my favorite films of 2009 was a claymation marvel from Australia - Mary & Max. It's a great story, told with wit and style

Pixar films are brilliant because of their stories. I did not cry in up because of the animated style, but because of the brilliant kaleidoscopic perspective on growing old

I love great animated films. I love all styles from hand drawn, through rotoscoping, CGI and claymation. hell, i even like South Park

The only way to answer this question is to see the same story told with multiple different animated techniques.

Rob

This isn't about what movies are awesome, it's about what type of animation you like the best. The movies are basically irrelevant in this poll

Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:35 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

I get your point, but would you say the opening sequences of Wall-E look "clean"?
Rob

Without hesitation. The beautiful opening notes of that film indicated just how far CGI could take us -- from the depth of field to the smallest subtlety, those first 30 minutes are the finest work Pixar has done. It is as perfected a sequence as I can imagine.

On the whole I appreciate the more obvious struggle inherent in telling a story through hand drawing. The labor involved, not to mention slight differences in a character drawn on model throughout the film, add a deeper signature to the art. This value of overall 'personality' is easier to see in traditional cel animation. CGI has it as well, naturally, but tends to lack the small flaws that lend an additional layer of beauty.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:16 pm
I have a fondness for the jerky otherworldliness that is stop-motion, Ray Harryhausen style. But isn't this poll lacking an option: glorious Suitamation? Stomp Tokyo!

Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:30 pm
Unke wrote:
I have a fondness for the jerky otherworldliness that is stop-motion, Ray Harryhausen style. But isn't this poll lacking an option: glorious Suitamation? Stomp Tokyo!

It's called Other

Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:32 pm
/Adds to the landslide victory of hand-drawn.

Robert Holloway wrote:
hell, i even like South Park

Hey now, that was a bit of a back handed compliment. South Park is actually animated with computers, so it's CGI. They purposely keep things simple and in 2D.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:51 pm
Tex Avery.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:52 pm
Patrick wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:

Rob

This isn't about what movies are awesome, it's about what type of animation you like the best. The movies are basically irrelevant in this poll

Patrick

You're 100% right, but that wasn't really my point.

Rob

Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:59 pm
CGI is my favorite. I hate that it has become the new wave everyone is doing because mediocre CGI depresses me. Pixar films are beautiful to look at (Up astounded my eyes), but films like Battle For Terra that lack texture and look muddy don't sit well. I'll take hand drawn over crappy CGI, but when done well I prefer CGI. I guess that makes me new school?

Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:05 pm