Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:06 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Poll #40: Best Animated Technique 

Best animated technique.
Hand-drawn 65%  65%  [ 13 ]
CGI 25%  25%  [ 5 ]
stop-motion 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Other 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 20

Poll #40: Best Animated Technique 
Author Message
Post Poll #40: Best Animated Technique
Self-explanatory since we all are children at heart...or at least we better.


Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:28 am
Post Re: Poll #40: Best Animated Technique
I'm a hand-drawn man myself.


Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:29 am
Post Re: Poll #40: Best Animated Technique
They all have their merits and drawbacks, but in the end, hand drawn linework is most expressive to my eyes.


Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:05 am
Director

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:28 pm
Posts: 1537
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Post Re: Poll #40: Best Animated Technique
CGI, hand drawn is a very close second. When CGI is spot on, the characters can have such human emotions brought out to life and it's great to watch.


Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:08 pm
Profile YIM
Post Re: Poll #40: Best Animated Technique
Here's the deal. Hand drawn all the way. Yes, I love the Pixar films, I do, but if I had to chose I would pick the Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pinochio, Peter Pan, and Robin Hood over any pixar title.


Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:25 pm
Post Re: Poll #40: Best Animated Technique
I'll agree that there have been plenty of excellent computer-animated efforts over the years (particularly from Pixar) but I'll always be partial to hand-drawn.


Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:19 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:56 pm
Posts: 1077
Location: Warner Robins, GA
Post Re: Poll #40: Best Animated Technique
Count me in for another Hand Drawn vote.


Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:23 am
Profile
Post Re: Poll #40: Best Animated Technique
Another vote for hand drawn. I prefer the 'warmth' and so forth. CGI has too clean a look for my tastes.


Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:34 am
Post Re: Poll #40: Best Animated Technique
Call me old-fashioned, but hand-drawn is still my favorite. Nothing against the other choices, they all have their merits, but I agree with major about the 'warmth' and so forth.


Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:50 am
Post Re: Poll #40: Best Animated Technique
Not wanting to be difficult but this poll is sort of odd

One of my favorite films of 2009 was a claymation marvel from Australia - Mary & Max. It's a great story, told with wit and style

Pixar films are brilliant because of their stories. I did not cry in up because of the animated style, but because of the brilliant kaleidoscopic perspective on growing old

Jungle book is a brilliant story with awesome music and voice work

I love great animated films. I love all styles from hand drawn, through rotoscoping, CGI and claymation. hell, i even like South Park

The only way to answer this question is to see the same story told with multiple different animated techniques.

Rob

But if you push me I'll go with Aardman's Wallace and Gromit animated style


Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:05 pm
Post Re: Poll #40: Best Animated Technique
majoraphasia wrote:
Another vote for hand drawn. I prefer the 'warmth' and so forth. CGI has too clean a look for my tastes.


I get your point, but would you say the opening sequences of Wall-E look "clean"?
Rob


Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:07 pm
Post Re: Poll #40: Best Animated Technique
Stop motion for me...only because I grew up playing with clay and making stop motion animations with polaroids of my clay figured lol...

True stop motion just has that hands on, almost a little crude look that I love. Hand Drawn is my second favorite though for sure.

On a side note, I also think the various styles can be combined effectively to get the best out of each...


Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:26 pm
Post Re: Poll #40: Best Animated Technique
Robert Holloway wrote:
Not wanting to be difficult but this poll is sort of odd

One of my favorite films of 2009 was a claymation marvel from Australia - Mary & Max. It's a great story, told with wit and style

Pixar films are brilliant because of their stories. I did not cry in up because of the animated style, but because of the brilliant kaleidoscopic perspective on growing old

Jungle book is a brilliant story with awesome music and voice work

I love great animated films. I love all styles from hand drawn, through rotoscoping, CGI and claymation. hell, i even like South Park

The only way to answer this question is to see the same story told with multiple different animated techniques.

Rob

But if you push me I'll go with Aardman's Wallace and Gromit animated style


This isn't about what movies are awesome, it's about what type of animation you like the best. The movies are basically irrelevant in this poll


Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:35 pm
Post Re: Poll #40: Best Animated Technique
Robert Holloway wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
Another vote for hand drawn. I prefer the 'warmth' and so forth. CGI has too clean a look for my tastes.


I get your point, but would you say the opening sequences of Wall-E look "clean"?
Rob


Without hesitation. The beautiful opening notes of that film indicated just how far CGI could take us -- from the depth of field to the smallest subtlety, those first 30 minutes are the finest work Pixar has done. It is as perfected a sequence as I can imagine.

On the whole I appreciate the more obvious struggle inherent in telling a story through hand drawing. The labor involved, not to mention slight differences in a character drawn on model throughout the film, add a deeper signature to the art. This value of overall 'personality' is easier to see in traditional cel animation. CGI has it as well, naturally, but tends to lack the small flaws that lend an additional layer of beauty.


Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:16 pm
Post Re: Poll #40: Best Animated Technique
I have a fondness for the jerky otherworldliness that is stop-motion, Ray Harryhausen style. But isn't this poll lacking an option: glorious Suitamation? Stomp Tokyo!


Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:30 pm
Post Re: Poll #40: Best Animated Technique
Unke wrote:
I have a fondness for the jerky otherworldliness that is stop-motion, Ray Harryhausen style. But isn't this poll lacking an option: glorious Suitamation? Stomp Tokyo!


It's called Other


Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:32 pm
Post Re: Poll #40: Best Animated Technique
/Adds to the landslide victory of hand-drawn.

Robert Holloway wrote:
hell, i even like South Park


Hey now, that was a bit of a back handed compliment. South Park is actually animated with computers, so it's CGI. They purposely keep things simple and in 2D.


Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:51 pm
Post Re: Poll #40: Best Animated Technique
Tex Avery.


Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:52 pm
Post Re: Poll #40: Best Animated Technique
Patrick wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Not wanting to be difficult but this poll is sort of odd

One of my favorite films of 2009 was a claymation marvel from Australia - Mary & Max. It's a great story, told with wit and style

Pixar films are brilliant because of their stories. I did not cry in up because of the animated style, but because of the brilliant kaleidoscopic perspective on growing old

Jungle book is a brilliant story with awesome music and voice work

I love great animated films. I love all styles from hand drawn, through rotoscoping, CGI and claymation. hell, i even like South Park

The only way to answer this question is to see the same story told with multiple different animated techniques.

Rob

But if you push me I'll go with Aardman's Wallace and Gromit animated style


This isn't about what movies are awesome, it's about what type of animation you like the best. The movies are basically irrelevant in this poll


Patrick

You're 100% right, but that wasn't really my point.

Rob


Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:59 pm
Post Re: Poll #40: Best Animated Technique
CGI is my favorite. I hate that it has become the new wave everyone is doing because mediocre CGI depresses me. Pixar films are beautiful to look at (Up astounded my eyes), but films like Battle For Terra that lack texture and look muddy don't sit well. I'll take hand drawn over crappy CGI, but when done well I prefer CGI. I guess that makes me new school?


Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:05 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr