Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:09 am

February 14, 2009: "Welcome to the Forums" 
Post Re: February 14, 2009: "Welcome to the Forums"
I've been reading the site for a long time--since at least 1996, and I think earlier than that.

Turning me on to Kieslowski was itself enough to earn you a lifelong fan. Still, I've never emailed--I never figured I had anything to say you hadn't already heard.

With that in mind, I appreciate the creation of the forums. If the forums drive some traffic and make it easier to continue what you do, well, my not-so-unique perspective can still benefit you in some way.

In short, we ALL win!

Thanks James!

Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:41 am
Reelviews reader since roughly '99. I agree with pretty much everything else being said in this thread... it's great to see the forums, since sometimes I strongly agree/disagree with ReelThoughts posts or reviews, but I haven't wanted to bug James with an email every time, unless it was something I was truly confident would contribute.

Plus, reading a site for so long kinda makes you curious about what the other regular readers are like... :)

Not sure if anyone else is like this, but I don't watch that many movies in theaters (especially right when they come out). I'd LOVE to watch more, but the timing/logistics just don't work that well for me. So I find myself turning to Reelviews (along with RT, Metacritic, etc.) a LOT more for deciding what to rent. I usually write down a movie that sounds great when it comes out, and it might be 2 weeks or 6 years before I actually see it.

Anyway, that's enough for a first post. Nice to meet everyone!

Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:11 am
Hi everyone! I'll be primarily a lurker here as I am on most forums, but as a Reelviews reader since the '90s this forum is long overdue. Judging by the early traffic, I have a feeling James is going to be slapping himself on the forehead soon and saying to himself "Why didn't I set one up years ago?" Well I'm glad he finally did. Thanks, James, and I'll add that my dad, 80, is a Reelviews reader -- and he found it independently of me.

Like gavmbree, my views on movies coincide with James' about 80% of the time. When my wife brings home a movie from the library I'll often tell her I won't know if I want to watch it until I check and see whether "my guy" likes it. She tells me I should think for myself.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:12 pm
nitetalker wrote:
Hi everyone! I'll be primarily a lurker here as I am on most forums, but as a Reelviews reader since the '90s this forum is long overdue. Judging by the early traffic, I have a feeling James is going to be slapping himself on the forehead soon and saying to himself "Why didn't I set one up years ago?" Well I'm glad he finally did. Thanks, James, and I'll add that my dad, 80, is a Reelviews reader -- and he found it independently of me.

Like gavmbree, my views on movies coincide with James' about 80% of the time. When my wife brings home a movie from the library I'll often tell her I won't know if I want to watch it until I check and see whether "my guy" likes it. She tells me I should think for myself.

Think for yourself? What kinda screwy advice is that? Would the world be the Utopia it is today if people actually thought for themselves? I think not.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:46 pm
JamesBond007 wrote:
Think for yourself? What kinda screwy advice is that? Would the world be the Utopia it is today if people actually thought for themselves? I think not.

Point well taken, Mister Bond. :lol:

Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:59 pm
Hey folks,

I first came across ReelViews and James' output while obsessively going through the rec.arts.movies.reviews on USENET. I think that pretty much dates itself right there :-) And while I have religiously followed every single review since then what has stood out for me, in addition to James' dedication and energy, is the knowledge that his viewpoint is untainted by promise of promos or favors or parties or anything of that sort. In addition, throughout the years he has gone out of his way to give a voice to smaller independent films. I particularly appreciate James' thoughts on a number of efforts from Indian American filmmakers as well as his willingness to review Bollywood's output. For example, consider Shyamalan's debut, "Praying With Anger." IMDB still lists James as the only external reviewer for that film. When reviewing films like this, it is easy for critics to be swayed by the oomph and "exoticism" - however, I have always found James' viewpoint to be scrupulously fair and while I may not always agree with his ratings, I fully understand his reasoning.

In the late '90s, I was actually up at Bellcore for an interview. I received the position but declined in favor of other alternatives. But the fact that James was working there at that time actually counted as a big plus :-)

So here's to many more years of ReelViews. James - you are making a big difference in the way people view film.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:06 pm