Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:10 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ] 
2010 Oscar Nominee Omissions 
Post 2010 Oscar Nominee Omissions
Might as well cook up a thread to express surprise that some things that looked positively guaranteed a nomination (for anything) didn't get even a small nod.

My vote goes to the English-language remake of Brothers. I was positive that Jake Gyllenhaal and/or Natalie Portman would get a nomination based purely on the subject matter and high-profile nature of the film. Toby Maguire in a dead-serious role? Sounds like a chance to change America's mind about Spider-Man. But then... nothing. Why else was this movie made if not to capture at least some Oscar attention?

Middling reviews of the film didn't help things but, for reasons other than those reviews, people forgot about this movie just as quickly as it came into their lives.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:02 am
Post Re: 2010 Oscar Nominee Omissions
I would put Adventureland on this list and while it's not too surprising that it didn't earn any nominations, I would have liked to see a Best Original Screenplay nod at least. I'm tempted to say that I liked this even better than Almost Famous, which let off a similar vibe and managed to snag 3 or 4 nominations that year.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:10 am
oafolay wrote:
I would put Adventureland on this list and while it's not too surprising that it didn't earn any nominations, I would have liked to see a Best Original Screenplay nod at least. I'm tempted to say that I liked this even better than Almost Famous, which let off a similar vibe and managed to snag 3 or 4 nominations that year.

I may as well share this info since it didn't have any bearing on the nominees but... I put Martin Starr among my five nominees (best supporting actor) for the Reelviews Academy Awards. Hardly official, I know. Starr's turn as Joel was among the great supporting roles last year... he brought a lot of genuine feeling to a character that didn't have to be nearly as complicated. Although Adventureland wasn't among my favorites of last year I'd still rank Mr. Starr's scenes in that film as among my favorite scenes of the entire year. The one in his back yard, in particular. I knew he wouldn't get a nomination but I still think he should have gotten more praise than he did.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:16 am
Split into two categories:

OSCAR SURPRISES
~No love for All is Love. Fuck you.
~I'm still surprised that Invictus was booted by The Blind Side.
~District 9 couldn't manage any sound nominations? How does that work?
~(500) Days of Summer apparently had no support. A screenplay nomination seemed inevitable. Equally surprising is the nomination The Messenger got.
~Who predicted Maggie Gyllenhaal for Supporting Actress? (Especially when there's a good argument for her being the lead.)
~I know most precursors put him there, but really, what did Matt Damon do in Invictus?
~I'm a little surprised District 9 got no love for make-up, given the Academy's love for The Fly. I'm not surprised to see Il Divo there (at least not anymore - I was when it was shortlisted), nor am I surprised to see The Young Victoria there. Still, District 9 was expected to win this category at one point.
~Bright Star basically got raped.

IN PEDRO'S OPINION (taking into account that it was ever possible)
~The Messenger and The White Ribbon for Best Picture. Maybe Star Trek. Maybe Fantastic Mr. Fox.
~Michael Haneke and Neill Blomkamp for Best Director.
~Sam friggin' Rockwell and Sharlto Copley for Best Actor.
~Melanie Laurent and Charlotte Gainsbourg for Best Actress.
~Christian McKay, Paul Schneider and Alfred Molina for Best Supporting Actor.
~Samantha Morton for Best Supporting Actress.
~The White Ribbon for Best Original Screenplay.
~Fantastic Mr. Fox and Bright Star for Best Adapted Screenplay.
~Mary and Max, maybe Ponyo, for Best Animated Feature.
~The Beaches of Agnes for Best Documentary.
~The Road, District 9, and Bright Star for Best Art Direction.
~Antichrist, Bright Star, The Lovely Bones, and The Road for Best Cinematography. Tough category this year.
~Where the Wild Things Are for Best Damn Costume Design.
~The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus, District 9, and The Road for Best Make-Up. Yeah, the Academy got it completely wrong this year.
~The Informant!, A Single Man, The Road for Best Original Score.
~Stu's Song, All is Love, and AyAyAyAy for Best Original Song.
~I don't care too much about the sound categories, except that District 9 should have somehow weaseled its way in.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:27 am
Sandra Bullock will be taking home the trophy, of course. As mentioned elsewhere, The Blind Side got the Best Picture nom to establish the movie, and thus her win, as credible. Best Actress can be a mercy award at times. Julia Roberts winning was a farce and Sandra Bullock's victory will be just as contrived.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:40 pm
I thought Moon would have a shot at something, even if it was minor. Best score, perhaps?

Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:28 pm
I'm with Eddy on Moon. The movie itself was excellent, and the whole thing sinks or swims on Rockwell's performance. His snub is one of the more glaring omissions in recent memory.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:10 pm
PeachyPete wrote:
I'm with Eddy on Moon. The movie itself was excellent, and the whole thing sinks or swims on Rockwell's performance. His snub is one of the more glaring omissions in recent memory.

+1 Billion...

This among other things just solidifies the Oscars as being a big joke of a circle jerk to me...

Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:22 pm
My guess is the Academy doesn't care for a strong performance in a movie that could be labeled either experimental or too "fictional". They are pimps in the business of awarding their own with performances that look and feel like reality as we know it. For actors and actresses totally unfamiliar with normal struggles, a performance that feels realistic is almost a miracle. It's like watching a cow accurately emulating a dog.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:29 pm
Wheres the love for Ponyo? :(

Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:12 pm
JJoshay wrote:

True blue. And Mary and Max. Secret of Kells better be damn good. Anyone see it?

I think 2009 was the year of animated cinema, no?

Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:52 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
JJoshay wrote:

True blue. And Mary and Max. Secret of Kells better be damn good. Anyone see it?

I agree, though I haven't seen all of them there were some terrific animated films all with different animated techniques. Up, The Princess and the Frog, The Fantastic Mr. Fox, Coraline, Ponyo, Mary and Max.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:38 am
The Oscars have no credability unless you're a casual film fan. Films, directors and actors are always overlooked because the awards are more about backroom politics than anything else. It's no shock when they fuck up. Most times they can't even get the nominations right. This year I'd say the biggest omission is Tom Hardy in the Best Actor category for Bronson.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:56 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
JJoshay wrote:

It's pretty good. It's more visually imaginative than any other film in the category. Heck, it's got more imagination in one frame that most animated films do in their entire running time. In my opinion, it's better than Ponyo.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:00 am
Producer

As much as I loved Meryl's work in Julie & Julia, I thought she was even better in It's Complicated.

Likewise, as good as Stanley Tucci was in The Lovely Bones, I loved his performance in Julie & Julia even more.

Viggo Mortensen should have gotten a best actor nod. What an incredible performance.

Marion Cotillard for best actress for her work in Nine. Daniel Day Lewis for best actor.

Cameron Diaz and Sofia Vassilieva for best actress and best supporting actress.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:23 am
Director

Where The Wild Things Are for best picture and Max Records for best actor.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:39 pm
Profile YIM
Really, I wish the Academy had gotten more ballsy with their picks. Obviously, this years best picture competition is a 2 horse race. While this year we did get an animated pick (Up) and even a foreign pick (An Education), the Academy still played it as safe as hell with these picks. C'mon, with 10 best picture nominees they really could have taken some chances. Where's The White Ribbon or Moon, or some other undiscovered gem? Realistically, 7 out of the 10 choices don't have a snowballs chance in hell of walking away with the statue, so why not go out on a limb a little with these extra slots and get people interested in something they otherwise would have no chance of seeking out.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:19 am
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]