Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:52 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
"Classics" that you dislike 
Post "Classics" that you dislike
Everyone has at least a few classic films that end up not clicking with you. I think that this actually bothers a lot of people, since these are movies you're "supposed" to appreciate, but it stopped bothering me a while ago. So c'mon! List classics that you dislike/didn't get and feel ashamed (or not).

Eraserhead - Augh.

The General - This was one of the first silent movies I've seen. It's been a while, but I remember the staging and action to be brilliant, but in the end I didn't find it enjoyable. This is one I may give another chance.

Inherit the Wind - It bothered me how laughably one-sided and condescending the whole affair is (including the portrayal of the townsfolk, who all apparently have learning disabilities), and I'm even in support of the Spencer Tracy character's positions. There are some remarkable scenes here, but it is bothersome to stage a grand confrontation like this and then stack the deck clearly to one side.

Breathless, Bande à part, Pierrot le Fou - I am probably dumb, but all of my dabblings in Godard's work were very unsatisfying.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:08 pm
Post Re: "Classics" that you dislike
I have one for now:

'American History X' - I'm not going to get too detailed, but I find no reason why this film is valued so highly. It is far too strident in tone, and the director often mistakes slow-motion shots for menace. Yes, it has powerful scenes, but overall, it is simply a good film with a poor ending and features only one character I actually care about.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:26 pm
The only classic that I can recall not liking was "It Happened One Night". I think maybe I should give it another shot, because I probably wasn't in the right mood to enjoy this film. But, I remember in grad school (late 1980's) when I rented this, I couldn't make it through the whole film. I was bored. Like I said, probably just my problem, short attention span at the time. I have never tried taking another look at it.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:39 pm
I do have my fair share of classics I don't like but I can't think of one off the top of my head.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:48 pm
This might not be a classic to most, but a disturbingly high degree of '80s movie fans really adore Crybaby with Johnny Depp. I find this movie absolutely excruciating to watch. After being subjected to this piece of crap, I wasn't sure how else I'd rather have spent the last couple hours other than having my balls shredded apart slowly by a table saw. That sounded an order of magnitude more appetizing. The acting is deplorable - the songs are awful - the plot is trite and stupid - and, well, maybe John Waters meant it to be the epitome of camp. Well, he succeeded, and made a terrible movie out of it. Go him.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:50 pm
I mentioned them on the overrated movies thread.

1)''The Third Man''
Boring, plodding and lifeless are adequate descriptions of this revered Carol Reed film. Joseph Cotten gives a performance that would make Keanu Reeves proud.
And don't even start me with the ''surprise''. I saw it from the beginning.

2)''Pulp Fiction''
Never understood all the praise that was showered on this movie. To me it's just mindless entertaintment with a healthy dose of pop culture references which made it so popular among the Generation X-ers. ''Reservoir Dogs'' was a vastly superior effort by Tarantino.

3)''Brief Encounter''
Might have been groundbreaking when it was filmed, but this film left me completely unmoved. Arguably David Lean's weakest movie, and I am a big fan of his work.

4)''Raging Bull''
A directorial tour de force by Scorsese. But also his most incoherent and soulless movie.

5)''8 1/2'', ''La Dolce Vita''
Self indulgent, overlong and rambling movies which hold absolutely no appeal for me. A fellow poster nailed them with one word: uninvolving.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:11 pm
panos75 wrote:
Self indulgent, overlong and rambling movies which hold absolutely no appeal for me. A fellow poster nailed them with one word: uninvolving.

I'll second these, actually. It was a bit surprising, since I really liked Nights of Cabiria and La Strada. I saw those two first, and I thought I would work my way up to those two, which are widely considered his masterpieces. Sadly, I was underwhelmed once I actually saw them.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:23 pm
panos75 wrote:
I mentioned them on the overrated movies thread.

1)''The Third Man''
Boring, plodding and lifeless are adequate descriptions of this revered Carol Reed film. Joseph Cotten gives a performance that would make Keanu Reeves proud.
And don't even start me with the ''surprise''. I saw it from the beginning.

2)''Pulp Fiction''
Never understood all the praise that was showered on this movie. To me it's just mindless entertaintment with a healthy dose of pop culture references which made it so popular among the Generation X-ers. ''Reservoir Dogs'' was a vastly superior effort by Tarantino.

3)''Brief Encounter''
Might have been groundbreaking when it was filmed, but this film left me completely unmoved. Arguably David Lean's weakest movie, and I am a big fan of his work.

4)''Raging Bull''
A directorial tour de force by Scorsese. But also his most incoherent and soulless movie.

Sometimes, you read a person's opinion and say 'Interesting. Live and let live, right?'

Sometimes, you read a person's opinion once. Then you read it again, to be sure you didn't miss anything. Once certain that you did not, you say 'I would literally kill myself if I woke up as this person. Probably.'

Your list falls into both categories. I have still never heard of a truly significant criticism for 'Pulp Fiction', and you might as well be joking for 'The Third Man' (your reasons are awful). I agree that the pair of films at #5 tend to be considered overrated, and I don't like 'lean' David Lean films. For 'Raging Bull', I agree only in that I think that it's Scorses's second or third best film, but never my choice for his peak as a filmmaker. It seems like this is the unviersal answer, and that irritates me.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:25 pm
"2001 A Space Odyssey"

I found it slow moving and painful to watch. It was overweight with symbolism and bludgeoned the audience with metaphors.

Dawn of new age, creation of a new conciousness, blah, blah, blah... :roll:

Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:53 pm
Awf Hand wrote:
"2001 A Space Odyssey"

I found it slow moving and painful to watch. It was overweight with symbolism and bludgeoned the audience with metaphors.

Congrats, you will soon get an ass-whooping by Rob Holloway and by ass-whooping I mean a post that will also bludgeon you with intellectual metaphors :lol:

Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:55 pm
Awf Hand wrote:
"2001 A Space Odyssey"

I was of the same opinion after I saw it for the first time. But I was just 13 years old then.
When I gave it a second chance ten years later it became my favorite movie.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:03 pm
Patrick wrote:
Congrats, you will soon get an ass-whooping by Rob Holloway and by ass-whooping I mean a post that will also bludgeon you with intellectual metaphors :lol:

See my Avatar.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:27 pm
I think 2001 could potentially pop up often...it's either fervently loved or fervently hated. I know a lot of people who cannot even get past the apes ("Why is this taking so long?!") Luckily, I fall into the former category. In fact, I saw a 70mm blowup of 2001 back in 2001 at the birthplace of HAL: Urbana, IL, at Roger Ebert's Overlooked Film Festival. When you see a 70mm print of 2001, eighth row center, on a screen that is about, oh, 50 feet tall...you will never discount the impact of this film again.

Erik :)

Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:32 pm
Awf Hand wrote:
"2001 A Space Odyssey"

Hi Awf Hand

Hmmmm - I agree with you 100%. It is slow loving, painful to watch, overweight with symbolism. That was my first reaction when I saw it too.

Fortunately my best friend kept on at me berating my attitude to it when I considered myself a film fan. He convinced me to rent a VHS tape and try it again. Many years and viewings later it's one of my three favorite films.

I still don't fully understand the ending, but I don't mind.

Many years later I saw a 70mm presentation in Dolby Stereo at the Kinepolis in Brussels. It was on a huge screen and a packed 500 seat auditorium. At the end everyone stood up and clapped and cheered. I don't normally behave like that at the end of a movie ;-)

Everyone I meet seems to either love or loathe this film. I don't think you can be in the, it's OK camp on 2001.

Good stuff!
Rob

Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:55 pm
Patrick wrote:
Awf Hand wrote:
"2001 A Space Odyssey"

Hilarious,

Now I see this after taking the bait on Awf hand's post. I hope he feels suitably whooped. Next time I need to bring my intellectual metaphors to the game :-)

Rob

Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:58 pm
ADayintheLife1979 wrote:
I think 2001 could potentially pop up often...it's either fervently loved or fervently hated. I know a lot of people who cannot even get past the apes ("Why is this taking so long?!") Luckily, I fall into the former category. In fact, I saw a 70mm blowup of 2001 back in 2001 at the birthplace of HAL: Urbana, IL, at Roger Ebert's Overlooked Film Festival. When you see a 70mm print of 2001, eighth row center, on a screen that is about, oh, 50 feet tall...you will never discount the impact of this film again.

Erik :)

Erik

Looks like we've had similar reactions and experiences!! The 70mm experience is something else, eh?

2001 is a struggle though. The combination of a very ambiguous storyline and an opening sequence lasting 20 minutes where "nothing happens".

and for me...

I don't know of any image in cinema that makes my nerves tingle more than the planetary alignment and the opening title to some little heard piece of classical music.

Rob

Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:03 pm
Awf Hand wrote:
"2001 A Space Odyssey"

I'll have to second this. It wasn't the slowness or ponderousness that got to me - it was that @#$%ing "Star Gate" sequence. Gaaaah.

Oh, and the scene where HAL kills Poole is an SFX epic fail.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:08 pm
laylowmoe wrote:
I'll have to second this. It wasn't the slowness or ponderousness that got to me - it was that @#$%ing "Star Gate" sequence. Gaaaah.

Oh, and the scene where HAL kills Poole is an SFX epic fail.

The Star Gate sequence is un-necessarily long and I usually watch it at high speed although occassionally I go for the full experience (New Year's Day 2001 being the last time I deemed it neccessary).

What's your problem with the SFX when HAL kills Poole? It's off-screen.

The "Classic" I most detest is The Searchers. John Wayne lovers always cite this one as his crowning achievement and to me he's just as terrible as ever.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:24 pm
Dr. Zhivago. Far too self important and tediously dull. I fell asleep half way through.

Ben Hur. Worth watching for the chariot race, forget the rest.

The Ten Commandments. Does Heston get to play a biblical figure in every film he makes?

Bridge on the River Kwai. I never understood the appeal. Nicholson should have been shot as a traitor.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:33 pm
Dislike:

verb 1. hate, object to, loathe, despise, shun, scorn, disapprove of, detest, abhor, recoil from, take a dim view of, be repelled by, be averse to, disfavour, have an aversion to, abominate, have a down on (informal) disrelish, have no taste or stomach for, not be able to bear or abide or stand

noun 2. hatred, disgust, hostility, loathing, disapproval, distaste, animosity, aversion, antagonism, displeasure, antipathy, enmity, animus, disinclination, repugnance, odium, detestation, disapprobation

I can't change my mind about 2001. I'd sooner watch "A Night at the Roxbury" on repeat with warm, diet orange soda and vertical-hold issue on the TV set.

I AM glad that I was able to get a rise out of you. That will help me smile during my day.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:46 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next