Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:22 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
2010 Oscar Nominations 
Post Re: 2010 Oscar Nominations
I really wish out of the five best lead actress nominations that Gabourey Sidibe wins. She gives such a forceful performance. I still think Sandra Bullock is gonna win, however..and surprisingly I'm okay with that. She is a good actress. Her choice of films (read: romantic comedies) seem to make people think she cannot act, but she has it in her.

Additionally, I really really really really hope Avatar does not win best picture. A technically revolutionary film does NOT equal great film. That's why there's a whole bunch of technical awards! Frankly, I wish Up In The Air would win, but that's highly unlikely, so I'm hoping The Hurt Locker wins.

Is there any trend in the Academy awards concerning a film getting nominated for best picture but not a screenplay nod? Maybe we could figure out Avatar's chances based on that.

I still think Best Picture, Director and Actress are the three categories we still aren't sure of. It could go anyway. Bridges, Waltz and Monique are in for sure.

Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:16 am
Critic

gkanchan wrote:
Is there any trend in the Academy awards concerning a film getting nominated for best picture but not a screenplay nod? Maybe we could figure out Avatar's chances based on that.

Well usually BP winners get a screenplay nod, but then again Titanic didn't :)

gkanchan wrote:
Additionally, I really really really really hope Avatar does not win best picture. A technically revolutionary film does NOT equal great film. That's why there's a whole bunch of technical awards! Frankly, I wish Up In The Air would win, but that's highly unlikely, so I'm hoping The Hurt Locker wins.

Up in the Air is just as formulaic as Avatar. As anyone with half a brain predicts, George Clooney realizes the importance of human connections, blah blah blah blah blah. Up in the Air is typical Oscar fare: a prestige-y adaptation of a novel with star power. Oh and it's "timely," just like The Hurt Locker. Avatar is unlike any movie I've seen...I'll take that over Up in the Air (which I enjoyed, btw).

Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:01 pm
I hope Sidibe doesn't get the Oscar, she just walks around for half the film and when she's not walking she isn't saying much either. Didn't rate Bullock either (although I think she's pretty good in general).

Mulligan on the other hand...is there anyone who has seen An Education that thinks she doesn't deserve it?

Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:54 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
Well usually BP winners get a screenplay nod, but then again Titanic didn't

True, but Titanic had acting noms -- something Avatar can't claim.

The Hurt Locker has to be the frontrunner right now. I actually think Basterds, Avatar and Up in the Air are right behind it. And while this would upset me almost as much as Avatar winning, don't overlook Precious. It has an editing nom and that always means something.

Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:15 pm
Director

Quote:

I think Sound of Music & Titanic are the only films to win Best Picture & not get a screenplay nomination.

Many films have gotten nominated for Best Picture without a screenplay nom though, the last time was Ray in 2004.

Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:33 pm
Vic wrote:
Mulligan on the other hand...is there anyone who has seen An Education that thinks she doesn't deserve it?

I can't imagine there would be. Hands down the best female performance of '09.

Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:04 pm
Blonde Almond wrote:
Vic wrote:

Mulligan is easily the best of the nominees. However, the best female performance of 2009 belongs to Charlotte Gainsbourg. Incidentally, Ms. Gainsbourg just released an album. Apparently she already had a few. And you know what? Critics love them! Now that's a talented female.

Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:37 pm
Critic

And she's pretttttttttttttttty

Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:51 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Blonde Almond wrote:
Vic wrote:

Mulligan is easily the best of the nominees. However, the best female performance of 2009 belongs to Charlotte Gainsbourg. Incidentally, Ms. Gainsbourg just released an album. Apparently she already had a few. And you know what? Critics love them! Now that's a talented female.

I haven't seen Antichrist yet, but Gainsbourg never fails to impress. And yes, that album, IRM, is fantastic. She takes after her father in delivering the quality.

Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:52 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3