Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:06 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
2010 Oscar Nominations 
Post Re: 2010 Oscar Nominations
I'm slightly tickled to see District 9 get that many nods. It's not that often you get such unapologetic genre fare get a best picture nod.

A crime not to nominate Sam Rockwell. Also in Moon related crimes, James Horner for best score, but no Clint Mansell? Bah.

I predict Avatar will win best picture because it's made a boatload of money and pick up bunch of technicals because it's very technical. However, because they know deep down that it's not that a good movie a vestigal sense of shame will prevent them from giving Cameron best director. Kathryn Bigelow wins instead.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:38 am
Critic

Sören Höglund wrote:
However, because they know deep down that it's not that a good movie a vestigal sense of shame will prevent them from giving Cameron best director. Kathryn Bigelow wins instead.

To me it makes more sense the other way around: Cameron absolutely deserves Best Director. Kathryn Bigelow made a decent war film, Cameron made a revolutionary film.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:04 am
Hurt Locker is just as important a film as Avatar in its own way. The first great Iraq War movie, and easily the best war movie since Saving Private Ryan. Avatar is just a technology display; The Jazz Singer of today. Bigelow will hopefully get best director and Hurt Locker should definitely take the top prize.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:23 pm
Critic

What exactly is great about The Hurt Locker? War is a drug: interesting perspective, but the film keeps going on this theme for about 130 minutes and there are some undeniable slow passages. Only two scenes really ratchet up tension (the opening one and the final one) and in between we get a lot of down time. It's a decent film, but it slides up next to Jarhead a lot easier than it does Saving Private Ryan.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:31 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
Sören Höglund wrote:
However, because they know deep down that it's not that a good movie a vestigal sense of shame will prevent them from giving Cameron best director. Kathryn Bigelow wins instead.

To me it makes more sense the other way around: Cameron absolutely deserves Best Director. Kathryn Bigelow made a decent war film, Cameron made a revolutionary film.

Well, I can sort of see that. Hurt Locker is the superior movie in my book, but pulling that hulking behemoth of a project together couldn't have been easy even though I'm no more than lukewarm on the end result. But this is the Oscar's. Ultimately it's a promotional tool for the industry, and deserve's got nothing to do with it. Avatar is the biggest grossing movie ever, and it'll win because of that. Meanwhile, Bigelow would be the first female director to win, which would also be a nice bit of publicity.

Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:50 am
I love the fact District 9 got nominated. It's such a good movie and deserves to win best film, even though it won't.

The expanding to ten films is a bit strange, in all honesty most years there are one or two just making the numbers anyways (frost/nixon??? FFS). If they had to expand it go for 7 or something, 10 seems way too much.

I think it's been a good year for good movies, but not a good year for great movies and the nominations reflect that to a degree.

Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:40 am
Vic wrote:
I love the fact District 9 got nominated. It's such a good movie and deserves to win best film, even though it won't.

The expanding to ten films is a bit strange, in all honesty most years there are one or two just making the numbers anyways (frost/nixon??? FFS). If they had to expand it go for 7 or something, 10 seems way too much.

I think it's been a good year for good movies, but not a good year for great movies and the nominations reflect that to a degree.

Agreed that it wasn't a great year for movies. They had to nominate District 9 to round out the ten candidates.

Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:11 pm
No idea where else to put this:

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/features/2010/03/actors-directors-portfolio-slideshow-201003?slide=7

and this:

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/features/2010/03/actors-directors-portfolio-slideshow-201003?slide=1

I laughed for a good minute at that one.

Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:22 pm

Heheh, those were great.

Kind of unfair for Cameron though, as his techniques allowed for the actors' performances to come through better than ever before.

Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:27 pm
Best Picture: I wish it would be The Hurt Locker but its looking like Avatar, I love Avatar but I'm praying for The Hurt Locker, it deserves it more.

Performance By An Actor In a Leading Role: Jeff Bridges for Crazy Heart, might be Jeremy Renner but from all the talk and plugging (and the Golden Globes) its looking like Bridges.

Performance By An Actor in a Supporting Role: Christoph Waltz for Inglourious Basterds, he will win, and he deserves it too.

Best Animated Feature Film of the Year: What the jesus fuck tits is with the lack of a nomination for Ponyo? I enjoyed The Princess and the Frog well enough but its nomination was a pity-nom for Disney, Ponyo was ten times better and Miyazaki got jewed.

Achievement in Cinematography: I have yet to see The White Ribbon, but between The Hurt Locker and Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, I'm leaning towards Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince; however, if The Hurt Locker wins Best Picture then it will probably win in this category too (in fact it probably will anyways, the same cinematographer did Greengrass' movies and the Academy gets a woody for that group).

Achievement in Directing: Should be Kathryn Bigelow, quite possibly could be Cameron.

Achievement in Film Editing: Probably The Hurt Locker, but will, again, most likely depend on whether Avatar or Hurt Locker grabs Best Picture.

Best Foreign Language Film of the Year: Probably Haneke with The White Ribbon.

Achievement in Visual Effects: Avatar.

Adapted Screenplay: The Academy will most likely give this one over to Up in the Air, which I think will be shut out in many of the other places it was nominated.

Original Screenplay: Up - No
The Hurt Locker - Kinda doubt it
The Messenger - Highly doubt it
A Serious Man - Don't know.
Inglourious Basterds - Probably. At least its the one that should, if it doesn't I'll be pissed, this was the best screenplay from 2009 if you ask me.

Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:42 am
I recently saw The Blind Side and it honestly felt at times like I was watching a tv movie......It was decent at best and sticks out like a sore thumb for Best Picture and Actress.
For Best Picture, my #1 pick(s) are either The Hurt Locker or A Serious Man. Sure A Serious Man doesn't have a chance but it was one of my favorite films of 2009.
My second pick is Inglorious Basterds. I don't think the film is perfect and most of the first hour left me cold but after that hour I loved it. Realistically I think it's between The Hurt Locker and Avatar. If Avatar wins I will be very disappointed.

I really don't like how these actor/actresses nominations are turning out. They are to predictable. I would be surprised if Mo'Nique didn't win and if Christoph Waltz didn't win either. Best actress is either Sandra Bullock(which she is extremely overrated in the role) or Meryl Streep. My personal pick is Carey Mulligan.

Best actor will be Jeff Bridges and I'd be surprised if he didn't win. I haven't seen Crazy Heart so I have no thoughts on it. It's really a bummer that Sam Rockwell wasn't nominated.

I'm happy to see The White Ribbon nominated for best cinematography. I think it deserves to win that award.

Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:32 pm
Dudes and Dudesses, you NEED to see this:

http://photo.newsweek.com/oscar-roundtable/2010/electric-company.html

It's a Oscar roundtable where they got together six of the nominated actors for a group interview. It's fairly interesting, but it's the last page (when the interview is officially over) that is required reading.

http://photo.newsweek.com/oscar-roundtable/2010/facebook-pros-cons.html

After the Interviewer says that they're done and thanks everyone, we get this exchange:

Well, on that note, we’re out of time. Thank you, everybody.

BRIDGES: You know, I’m going to ask you for one weird request, Carey. I hope it doesn’t embarrass you. But I’ve been looking at your toes the whole time.

MULLIGAN: Oh!

FREEMAN: Me, too! They’re flexible. She can move them one at a time.

HARRELSON: She does have a lot of toe dexterity.

BRIDGES: You have some incredible damn toes. Show us what you can do. It’s just incredible. That’s going to have to be in a movie.

Now that's pretty hilarious, but there's a video clip of the whole thing which is 100x more awesome:

http://photo.newsweek.com/oscar-roundtable/2010/jeff-bridges-foot-fetish.html

Watch Carey Mulligan turn king-crimson as Jeff Bridges and co. start discussing her toes.

Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:33 pm
I really hope Tarantino wins best screenplay. I doubt Inglorious Basterds will win Best Picture, but I most definitely think it deserves the award for original screenplay. It took Tarantino something like 12+ years to complete it, and he is the only filmmaker I know who seamlessly integrates references and nods to films into his own without sacrificing uniqueness, originality, or flair (sp). For a long time (when I was younger) I considered Pulp Fiction to be my favorite film. It isn't anymore, but it is still amongst my top. However, I have to say that I think Inglorious Basterds has topped it.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:24 am
Director

MGamesCook wrote:
Hurt Locker is just as important a film as Avatar in its own way. The first great Iraq War movie, and easily the best war movie since Saving Private Ryan. Avatar is just a technology display; The Jazz Singer of today. Bigelow will hopefully get best director and Hurt Locker should definitely take the top prize.

Avatar = The Jazz Singer? Second day in a row I almost spit out coffee at a post here.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:35 am
Critic

DylnFan96818 wrote:
Avatar = The Jazz Singer? Second day in a row I almost spit out coffee at a post here.

I love Avatar, but that's a bit of an unfair comparison. In large part because The Jazz Singer is a really lousy movie. Still, I take the poster's point, that movies which are important because of technological breakthroughs/spectacle don't hold up well. Titanic looks dated less than 15 years later, whereas L.A. Confidential is looking more like a modern classic. That said, I'm still rooting for Avatar because Inglourious Basterds and A Serious Man (my picks for the 2 best of the year) will never win and I have no idea what everyone sees in The Hurt Locker

Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:45 am
Can someone please make a case for the Blind Side nomination?

I'd just like the hear any reasoning, or logic behind it.

I don't care if they increased the nominations intake to 50, it still shouldn't be there.

Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:49 am
Vic wrote:
Can someone please make a case for the Blind Side nomination?

I'd just like the hear any reasoning, or logic behind it.

Well, people like Sandra Bullock. It probably got enough #1 votes to weasel Invictus out of that spot, especially considering that movie was toward the bottom of most people's voting ballot - if it was there at all.

I'm not saying that justifies its existence, but that's pretty much why it's there. I don't know why people couldn't vote similarly for Star Trek. Or The Messenger. Or fucking Paul Blart: Mall Cop.

Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:12 am
Don't get me wrong, it's not a shocker, I've watched it twice already. It's just your run of the mill family movie, with extra cheese on top. I don't think Sandra Bullock is very good in it at all and certainly not Oscar worthy. The true deserved winner this year will hopefully be Mulligan who put on as good a performance I've seen.

When movies like The Damned United and Moon miss out for this, it really makes me scratch my head.

Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:52 am
Critic

Well be realistic. Little movies like Moon, as good as they are, are never going to get nominated for Best Picture. There was no buzz, no box office, no chance. That said, I'm still incredibly rankled that The Blind Side got nominated because I hated the film and would have preferred pretty much anything else. I guess the fact that it was "important" blinded Oscar voters as usual.

Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:09 am
JamesKunz wrote:
Well be realistic. Little movies like Moon, as good as they are, are never going to get nominated for Best Picture. There was no buzz, no box office, no chance. That said, I'm still incredibly rankled that The Blind Side got nominated because I hated the film and would have preferred pretty much anything else. I guess the fact that it was "important" blinded Oscar voters as usual.

True. However, I'm a bit disappointed that it couldn't at least garner a technical nod or something for the score. I mean, Il Divo is up for Best Makeup. How many people saw that?

Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:49 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next