Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:44 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
The First Annual ReelViews Academy Award Nominations 
Post The First Annual ReelViews Academy Award Nominations
NOTE: There were a few ties, so instead of randomly picking a nominee, I just put down all of them.

BEST PICTURE
35 Shots of Rum
District 9
An Education
The Girlfriend Experience
Inglorious Basterds
A Serious Man
Up In the Air
Watchmen
The White Ribbon

BEST DIRECTOR
Quentin Tarantino (Inglourious Basterds)
Kathryn Bigelow (The Hurt Locker)
James Cameron (Avatar)
Joel Coen and Ethan Coen (A Serious Man)
Michael Haneke (The White Ribbon)

BEST ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
George Clooney (Up in the Air)
Jeff Bridges (Crazy Heart)
Michael Stuhlbarg (A Serious Man)
Sam Rockwell (Moon)
Sharlto Copley (District 9)

BEST ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Anthony Mackie (The Hurt Locker)
Christoph Waltz (Inglourious Basterds)
Jackie Earle Haley (Watchmen)
Peter Capaldi (In the Loop)
Stanley Tucci (The Lovely Bones)

BEST ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
Carey Mulligan (An Education)
Charlotte Gainsbourg (Antichrist)
Gabourey Sibide (Precious)
Melanie Laurent (Inglourious Basterds)
Zoe Saldana (Avatar)

BEST ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Alycia Delmore (Humpday)
Anna Kendrick (Up in the Air)
Melanie Lynskey (The Informant!)
Mo'Nique (Precious)
Nicole Dogue (35 Shots of Rum)
Vera Farmiga (Up in the Air)

BEST WRITING - ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
District 9
An Education
In the Loop
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Up in the Air

BEST WRITING - ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
(500) Days of Summer
Away We Go
Goodbye Solo
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
A Serious Man

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
Coraline
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Mary and Max
Ponyo
Up

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
The Cove
Food, Inc.
Sergio
Of Time and the City
Tyson

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
35 Shots of Rum
The Class
Gomorrah
Sleep Dealer
Still Walking
Thirst
The White Ribbon

BEST ENSEMBLE CAST
In the Loop
Inglourious Basterds
Precious
A Serious Man
The White Ribbon

BEST ART DIRECTION
The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus
Inglourious Basterds
Public Enemies
The White Ribbon

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
A Serious Man
The White Ribbon

BEST COSTUME DESIGN
Inglourious Basterds
Public Enemies
Sherlock Holmes
Watchmen
The Young Victoria

BEST FILM EDITING
District 9
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Star Trek

BEST MAKE-UP
District 9
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
Inglourious Basterds
Star Trek
Zombieland

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
Fantastic Mr. Fox
The Informant!
A Serious Man
Up

BEST ORIGINAL SONG
All Is Love (Where The Wild Things Are)
Almost There (The Princess and the Frog)
Down in New Orleans (The Princess and the Frog)
Loin De Paname (Paris 36)
The Weary Kind (Crazy Heart)

BEST SOUND EDITING
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Paranormal Activity
Star Trek

BEST SOUND MIXING
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Paranormal Activity
Star Trek

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
District 9
Star Trek
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Where the Wild Things Are

SO:
13 NOMINATIONS
Inglourious Basterds*

10 NOMINATIONS

7 NOMINATIONS
The Hurt Locker
A Serious Man

6 NOMINATIONS
District 9*
The White Ribbon*

5 NOMINATIONS
Star Trek
Up in the Air

3 NOMINATIONS
35 Shots of Rum*
An Education*
Fantastic Mr. Fox
In the Loop
Precious
Watchmen

2 NOMINATIONS
Crazy Heart
The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus
The Informant!
Paranormal Activity
The Princess and the Frog
Public Enemies
Up
Where the Wild Things Are

1 NOMINATION
(500) Days of Summer
Antichrist
Away We Go
The Class
Coraline
The Cove
Food, Inc.
Gomorrah
Goodbye Solo
Humpday
The Lovely Bones
Mary and Max
Moon
Paris 36
Ponyo
Sergio
Sherlock Holmes
Sleep Dealer
Still Walking
Thirst
Of Time and the City
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Tyson
The Young Victoria
Zombieland

A * indicates a Best Picture nominee.

Well, there you have it. The people have spoken. Remember that #1 votes have a much higher weight over lower nominees. This definitely contributed to why The Hurt Locker and Moon missed out - no #1 votes.

TIDBITS
~Jeremy Renner was REALLY close to a nomination. So close it's painful.
~Apparently either no one saw The Messenger, or everyone went meh.
~I knew the board dug Inglourious Basterds, but holy crap I did not expect 13 nominations.
~The Informant! was also REALLY close to an adapted screenplay nomination.
~There was very little love for Lee Daniels. Why are the DGA and Academy nominating him for Best Director again?
~Enough people voted Watchmen for Best Picture, but not for Best Visual Effects? Not a single vote in that category. (I didn't vote for it, either. In retrospect, my #5 vote should have gone to that over Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.)
~I don't really remember who I voted for. I didn't have a separate ballot. Halfway through importing, I logged my votes in so that I couldn't influence any final decisions.

Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:57 am
Post Re: The First Annual ReelViews Academy Awards Nominations
Yay, great nominations guys!

Watchmen instead of Hurt Locker in BP was unexpected, but everything else makes sense given the discussions here.

Our best animated nominations are better than the Academy's.

Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:45 am
Good nomination list.
Surprised that The Hurt Locker missed a BP nomination, but hey it's all good.

Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:32 am
So what is the procedure now? We just PM you our votes from the nominee list? How long do we have?

Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:34 am
gkanchan wrote:
So what is the procedure now? We just PM you our votes from the nominee list? How long do we have?

Unless things change Pedro will use just use the existing nomination votes to announce the winners later. Of course, he should confirm this for you.

Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:27 pm
Good job Pedro.

I'm liking these nominations, but a few of them are a little too close to the Academy's (don't blame me Trev, I nominated stuff like Love the Beast :) ).

Random thoughts:

Pedro wrote:
BEST PICTURE
35 Shots of Rum
Watchmen

These are pretty surprising, especially The Girlfriend Experience. Outside of Zeppelin I didn't think anyone loved that movie.

Pedro wrote:
BEST ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
Charlotte Gainsbourg (Antichrist)

YESSSSS!!!

Pedro wrote:
BEST ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Alycia Delmore (Humpday)
Melanie Lynskey (The Informant!)
Nicole Dogue (35 Shots of Rum)

Who?, YESSSS!!!! and Who? :) . Seriously though, Melanie Lynskey is surprising. She was my top pick but I can't imagine anyone else sharing my appreciation.

Pedro wrote:
~Jeremy Renner was REALLY close to a nomination. So close it's painful.

There was a lot of forum chatter for Sam Rockwell. Surprised he missed out.

Pedro, can we have an idea about how many people voted? I'm interested to know what the turnout was.

Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:39 pm
Producer

Zoe Saldana for best actress? WTF?!

Also no Viggo Mortensen for The Road when he was amazing in that movie? :(

The Road also deserved a nod for it's AMAZING art direction too.

Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:14 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
gkanchan wrote:

Unless things change Pedro will use just use the existing nomination votes to announce the winners later. Of course, he should confirm this for you.

Frankly I think we should all take another vote, based on the nominations list. People's opinion can change, although highly unlikely.

Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:20 pm
ilovemovies wrote:
Zoe Saldana for best actress? WTF?!
Also no Viggo Mortensen for The Road when he was amazing in that movie? :(

The Road also deserved a nod for it's AMAZING art direction too.

Viggo didn't get that many votes. If you had voted and put him at #1... well, he still wouldn't have been nominated, but he would've been closer.

ed_metal_head wrote:
These are pretty surprising, especially The Girlfriend Experience. Outside of Zeppelin I didn't think anyone loved that movie.

Zepp's the only reason why that movie made it in. He put it at #1, something no one did for The Hurt Locker. Everyone was too busy putting #1 for some other movie that I'll refrain from mentioning now. Similarly, I'm the main reason 35 Shots of Rum made it in, but there was at least one other person who put it in. Watchmen got a #1 vote, but also got some #8/10 votes here and there.

ed_metal_DEAD wrote:
Who?, YESSSS!!!! and Who? :D. Seriously though, Melanie Lynskey is surprising. She was my top pick but I can't imagine anyone else sharing my appreciation.

Those last three were the result of #1 votes. There was not much love in the Supporting Actress category outside of the main three. Samantha Morton and Diane Kruger were sixth and seventh I think, but lacked the appeal to be put at #1. As if Inglourious Basterds needed a fourteenth nomination. XD

Team_Edward wrote:
Pedro, can we have an idea about how many people voted? I'm interested to know what the turnout was.

I'll post those eventually. Not now, though. I was thinking we could have a contest of guessing the winners and whoever wins gets a competition point? Just throwing things out there.

gkanchan wrote:
Frankly I think we should all take another vote, based on the nominations list. People's opinion can change, although highly unlikely.

I'm open to that, though I already have things kind of organized for the current votes. In my Word document, there are numbers next to the nominees, ranked from most voted on to least voted on.

Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:33 pm
Pedro wrote:
I'm open to that, though I already have things kind of organized for the current votes. In my Word document, there are numbers next to the nominees, ranked from most voted on to least voted on.

If it's easier that way, then no problem here.

Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:51 pm
Well, if 1 Person voting The Girlfriend Experience into #1 is all it takes, then I guess not a great amount of people voted.. My estimate 6 - 9 persons.

Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:54 pm
gkanchan wrote:
Well, if 1 Person voting The Girlfriend Experience into #1 is all it takes, then I guess not a great amount of people voted.. My estimate 6 - 9 persons.

That was the biggest problem with the contest. Thousands of people vote on the Oscars. We had thirteen. XD I don't know if it's because people didn't care or were too lazy or what. Also, a lot of forms were incomplete. Two or three people only did the major categories. Foreign Language and Documentary were somewhat skewed. These are things to improve on in the future. I'm looking at this contest as a training ground of sorts.

Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:04 pm
Pedro wrote:
Zepp's the only reason why that movie made it in. He put it at #1, something no one did for The Hurt Locker.

Hooray! I actually influenced something! Go me!

I'd also hazard a guess that I'm also the only reason Alycia Delmore got in for Supporting Actress and Of Time and the City got in for Best Documentary (It wouldn't surprise me if I was also the main contributing factor on Thirst getting in Best Foreign Language Film). Also, just because I essentially gave Humpday a nomination that does not mean anyone should go out of their way to see it. One good performance does not a good movie make, especially not in that case. Of Time and the City was pretty great though.

Now, while I will always cherish these small victories, I'm still a little angry that The Informant! didn't get in for Best Adapted screenplay. I mean, I can understand Matt Damon losing for Best Actor (even though he was easily the best of the year in my book), but that screenplay was a work of art, something I can most definitely say was not the case for i.e. District 9. Oh well, you win some you lose some.

Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:58 pm
Producer

I didn't put my nominations because I didn't where to. Plus, I didn't even know it had even begun yet. Otherwise, I would have put my nominations up.

Doesn't really matter though because quite frankly a lot of the favorite movies of this year (Avatar, The Hurt Locker, Up in the Air, Inglourious Basterds) are just GOOD IMO, not great. And a lot of my favorite movies (Nine, It's Complicated, Julie & Julia, The Box, The Road, The Burning Plain, Crossing Over, My Sister's Keeper) were either not as well loved as I wish they were or in some cases weren't even loved at all. So it's not like my vote would have mattered that much anyway.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:23 am
I'm up for taking another vote as well.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:36 am
Vic wrote:

I would have liked that originally.

Now that the nominations have been determined based on people's rankings it doesn't make much sense. If we were going to do it that way we should've just voted for unordered noms so that, you know, "The Girlfriend Experience" wouldn't make it just because one person nominated it (not saying it's a bad film).

Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:45 am
Trevor wrote:
Vic wrote:

Now that the nominations have been determined based on people's rankings it doesn't make much sense. If we were going to do it that way we should've just voted for unordered noms so that, you know, "The Girlfriend Experience" wouldn't make it just because one person nominated it (not saying it's a bad film).

I still think a vote could work. Perhaps more people would contribute this way. James did say he would publicize the thread in an upcoming Reelthoughts.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:28 pm
Trevor wrote:
Vic wrote:

I hear what you're saying, but there are problems with that. (Then again, there are problems with ranking them, too.) Let's say 100 people voted. If 75 people put in Avatar and 74 people put in Inglourious Basterds, then Avatar would have won. However, those 74 people would have ranked Basterds fairly highly and Avatar not so much. The general opinion of the board wouldn't have shown through in that case.

I think one of the biggest problems is how I weighted #1 votes, which was fine for every other category except Best Picture. I didn't really know how to officially handle ten nominees, and I think the best solution going forward is to stick to five nominees per category. (You guys can tell from the ten nominees which ones would have been the five, anyway.) I'm glad we did the ten nominee experiment, but I don't want to do it again.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:36 pm
Pedro wrote:
Trevor wrote:
Vic wrote:

I hear what you're saying, but there are problems with that. (Then again, there are problems with ranking them, too.) Let's say 100 people voted. If 75 people put in Avatar and 74 people put in Inglourious Basterds, then Avatar would have won. However, those 74 people would have ranked Basterds fairly highly and Avatar not so much. The general opinion of the board wouldn't have shown through in that case.

I think one of the biggest problems is how I weighted #1 votes, which was fine for every other category except Best Picture. I didn't really know how to officially handle ten nominees, and I think the best solution going forward is to stick to five nominees per category. (You guys can tell from the ten nominees which ones would have been the five, anyway.) I'm glad we did the ten nominee experiment, but I don't want to do it again.

Just to add...doesn't the Academy require the nominees to be ranked too? If the interest is there and if Pedro is up for it, I think we should vote on the nominees.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:48 pm
I would also like to vote again.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:58 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next