Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:46 pm




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Voting Extension 
Author Message
Post Voting Extension
"The voting cut-off will be on February 1, 2010 at 11:59 PM PST."

That's not going to happen. I've received two or three votes from people so far, excluding my own. I'm going to extend the cut-off to February 7, 2010 at 11:59 PM PST. That way, I can begin to organize the nominees on my day off from school (Monday).

Also, votes for Best Foreign Language Film have been pretty scatter shot. The only qualification is that they be domestically released during 2009. Here are some examples:

The Maid
Red Cliff
You, The Living
Tony Manero
The Headless Woman
35 Shots of Rum
Summer Hours
A Town Called Panic
Coco Before Chanel
The Class
Gomorrah
Departures
Sin Nombre
Silent Light
Everlasting Moments
Lorna's Silence
Tulpan
Tokyo Sonata
O'Horten
Still Walking
Seraphine
Revanche
Munyurangabo
Paris
Police, Adjective
Treeless Mountain
Thirst
Afghan Star

Amongst many others. I'm not sure if Sugar counts because I'm not sure how much of it is in Spanish. A Prophet is not eligible because its domestic release date is in 2010.


Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:00 pm
Post Re: Voting Extension
I keep intending to cast the vote but end up shrugging it off when I realize "Best Sound Mixing" is something I'll have to verse myself in. It'll happen, though. I'm aiming for the 3rd or 4th of February.







But I hope it doesn't end up being just four or five people voting. 'Twould be lame.


Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:44 am
Post Re: Voting Extension
I intended to, and still intend to, vote at the last possible moment so that I can try to see as many films as possible before voting.

I wonder if others are doing something similar.


Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:32 pm
Post Re: Voting Extension
Trevor wrote:
I intended to, and still intend to, vote at the last possible moment so that I can try to see as many films as possible before voting.

I wonder if others are doing something similar.


Dude...yes.

That's the thing...I want to vote, but feel I shouldn't since all the films haven't been watched.

Maybe I should act more like the Academy.


Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:44 am
Post Re: Voting Extension
ram1312 wrote:
Trevor wrote:
I intended to, and still intend to, vote at the last possible moment so that I can try to see as many films as possible before voting.

I wonder if others are doing something similar.


Dude...yes.

That's the thing...I want to vote, but feel I shouldn't since all the films haven't been watched.

Maybe I should act more like the Academy.


I was planning on doing the same thing as Trevor. Ram you should definitely vote even if you haven't seen everything.


Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 am
Post Re: Voting Extension
Meatloaf wrote:
ram1312 wrote:
Trevor wrote:
I intended to, and still intend to, vote at the last possible moment so that I can try to see as many films as possible before voting.

I wonder if others are doing something similar.


Dude...yes.

That's the thing...I want to vote, but feel I shouldn't since all the films haven't been watched.

Maybe I should act more like the Academy.


I was planning on doing the same thing as Trevor. Ram you should definitely vote even if you haven't seen everything.


+1 on everything. I'm waiting until the deadline looms. And Ram, Pedro says vote even if you've seen nothing. It's for the fun of it all.


Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:52 pm
Post Re: Voting Extension
sent.


Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:02 pm
Post Re: Voting Extension
Alrighty, my vote is in. This is a friendly reminder to everyone else that you have until Sunday.

If you're waiting for the last minute, keep in mind that it takes some time to create your ballot. I was at it for just over an hour.


Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:27 pm
Post Re: Voting Extension
ed_metal_head wrote:
Alrighty, my vote is in. This is a friendly reminder to everyone else that you have until Sunday.

If you're waiting for the last minute, keep in mind that it takes some time to create your ballot. I was at it for just over an hour.


Also to keep in mind: if I receive the ballot at 12:05 instead of 11:58, I don't care. Truth be told, I'll probably go to bed early that night. So long as all the votes are there by the time I wake up, I'll have zero problems. :D


Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:29 pm
Post Re: Voting Extension
ed_metal_head wrote:
Meatloaf wrote:
ram1312 wrote:

Dude...yes.

That's the thing...I want to vote, but feel I shouldn't since all the films haven't been watched.

Maybe I should act more like the Academy.


I was planning on doing the same thing as Trevor. Ram you should definitely vote even if you haven't seen everything.


+1 on everything. I'm waiting until the deadline looms. And Ram, Pedro says vote even if you've seen nothing. It's for the fun of it all.


I'm assuming you mean vote for whatever you've seen, not vote for stuff you haven't seen just for the hell of it or because you think it will win the actual Oscars.


Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:26 pm
Post Re: Voting Extension
Trevor wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
+1 on everything. I'm waiting until the deadline looms. And Ram, Pedro says vote even if you've seen nothing. It's for the fun of it all.


I'm assuming you mean vote for whatever you've seen, not vote for stuff you haven't seen just for the hell of it or because you think it will win the actual Oscars.


Well you assume wrong Trev. Wait...hear me out though. I'm not saying to fill your ten Best Picture slots with films you haven't seen, but there are some other categories where I think this is okay. For instance, I wanted to vote in each category because I figure not everyone will and there may only be a single ballot for some. So, let's say "Best Makeup". I gave 4 nominees from movies I've seen and I threw in "Star Trek", which I didn't. Now, I could have put another film that I've actually seen, but then I'd have to nominate something which didn't impress me. Now, Star Trek is Oscar nominated in this category and the makeup looks decent from the trailer, so I put it in there.

Then there's the Documentary category. This one is much worse. I didn't see ANY documentaries this year, but I still submitted a ballot. Mind you, I didn't pick 5 on a whim. I went through all the year's documentaries I could find, read the synopses and came up with a list. Sure, it wasn't "correct" but how many people saw at least 5 Documentaries this year?

Of course, I marked every nominee that I didn't see. If people and or Pedro object to the few unseen nominees then I don't mind at all if Pedro throws them out.

The only thing that confuses me is why I said "Pedro says vote even if you've seen nothing." I thought I saw that somewhere, but I can't find the reference, so I guess I dreamed that up. Apologies Pedrito.


Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:31 am
Post Re: Voting Extension
ed_metal_head wrote:
Well you assume wrong Trev. Wait...hear me out though. I'm not saying to fill your ten Best Picture slots with films you haven't seen, but there are some other categories where I think this is okay. For instance, I wanted to vote in each category because I figure not everyone will and there may only be a single ballot for some. So, let's say "Best Makeup". I gave 4 nominees from movies I've seen and I threw in "Star Trek", which I didn't. Now, I could have put another film that I've actually seen, but then I'd have to nominate something which didn't impress me. Now, Star Trek is Oscar nominated in this category and the makeup looks decent from the trailer, so I put it in there.

Then there's the Documentary category. This one is much worse. I didn't see ANY documentaries this year, but I still submitted a ballot. Mind you, I didn't pick 5 on a whim. I went through all the year's documentaries I could find, read the synopses and came up with a list. Sure, it wasn't "correct" but how many people saw at least 5 Documentaries this year?

Of course, I marked every nominee that I didn't see. If people and or Pedro object to the few unseen nominees then I don't mind at all if Pedro throws them out.

The only thing that confuses me is why I said "Pedro says vote even if you've seen nothing." I thought I saw that somewhere, but I can't find the reference, so I guess I dreamed that up. Apologies Pedrito.


Pedro wrote:
I encourage voting in every category, even if you don't exactly know what to pick.


So yeah, you didn't dream that up. XD I have zero issue with people voting for films they haven't seen, so long as they make an informed choice. Ed chose Star Trek because it's Oscar nominated, though if he had watched the trailer saw a Romulin, that would have been enough for me. And ultimately - I'm not going to know. Unless you tell me. I'm all for informed, educated votes.


Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:48 pm
Post Re: Voting Extension
What is an informed choice though?
The only way to be informed is to have seen the movie!

"I'm voting for Precious for best picture, director, actress, best supporting actress because I've heard it's really good, it's critically acclaimed, and I heard it has a shot at these awards." - that would defeat the purpose of this entire undertaking!

not everyone has to vote for 5 nominees! just everyone combined has to vote for at least 5, so that as a whole we will have a complete ballot.

Sorry, but I think it's really lame to vote for something you haven't seen--I understand that you can predict the technical categories even if you haven't seen it, but you are still missing out on the spirit of those categories which is, 'how well are these technical aspects used in service of the film?'

To rant a little longer, maybe 2 or 3 forum members have seen an awesome documentary this year and they all vote for it #1. Then everyone else who hasn't seen a single documentary votes for the most recognizable one because they've heard it's good and that one wins instead of the one that is actually loved by forum members here and would actually represent our tastes if it won.

Okay, obviously it's too late for this to matter since ballots are due tomorrow. Just wanted to voice my opinion about that.


Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:58 pm
Post Re: Voting Extension
Trevor wrote:
What is an informed choice though?
The only way to be informed is to have seen the movie!

"I'm voting for Precious for best picture, director, actress, best supporting actress because I've heard it's really good, it's critically acclaimed, and I heard it has a shot at these awards." - that would defeat the purpose of this entire undertaking!

not everyone has to vote for 5 nominees! just everyone combined has to vote for at least 5, so that as a whole we will have a complete ballot.

Sorry, but I think it's really lame to vote for something you haven't seen--I understand that you can predict the technical categories even if you haven't seen it, but you are still missing out on the spirit of those categories which is, 'how well are these technical aspects used in service of the film?'

To rant a little longer, maybe 2 or 3 forum members have seen an awesome documentary this year and they all vote for it #1. Then everyone else who hasn't seen a single documentary votes for the most recognizable one because they've heard it's good and that one wins instead of the one that is actually loved by forum members here and would actually represent our tastes if it won.

Okay, obviously it's too late for this to matter since ballots are due tomorrow. Just wanted to voice my opinion about that.


Trevor, I totally understand your point of view, but you're a little over the top. I'm not going to rant about the technical categories now because it's really not a big deal, but as far as the documentaries go, autopilot voting may serve to round out the fourth or fifth nominees. It's safe to say The Cove and Food, Inc. are going to get nominations (sorry to ruin the surprise), but beyond that's a mystery. We could have two nominees I suppose - that's technically a more or less accurate representation of the forum's opinion - but what's the fun in that? It's not like the other nominees that people guess-voted won't be worthy. Besides, the Academy does this all the time.

Ultimately, if you don't want to vote for things you haven't seen, you don't have to. People have done that. Good on you. Others haven't. Good on you. I think I'll give more weight to votes that are based on actual viewings. Is that fair?


Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:32 pm
Post Re: Voting Extension
Pedro wrote:
Trevor wrote:
What is an informed choice though?
The only way to be informed is to have seen the movie!

"I'm voting for Precious for best picture, director, actress, best supporting actress because I've heard it's really good, it's critically acclaimed, and I heard it has a shot at these awards." - that would defeat the purpose of this entire undertaking!

not everyone has to vote for 5 nominees! just everyone combined has to vote for at least 5, so that as a whole we will have a complete ballot.

Sorry, but I think it's really lame to vote for something you haven't seen--I understand that you can predict the technical categories even if you haven't seen it, but you are still missing out on the spirit of those categories which is, 'how well are these technical aspects used in service of the film?'

To rant a little longer, maybe 2 or 3 forum members have seen an awesome documentary this year and they all vote for it #1. Then everyone else who hasn't seen a single documentary votes for the most recognizable one because they've heard it's good and that one wins instead of the one that is actually loved by forum members here and would actually represent our tastes if it won.

Okay, obviously it's too late for this to matter since ballots are due tomorrow. Just wanted to voice my opinion about that.


Trevor, I totally understand your point of view, but you're a little over the top. I'm not going to rant about the technical categories now because it's really not a big deal, but as far as the documentaries go, autopilot voting may serve to round out the fourth or fifth nominees. It's safe to say The Cove and Food, Inc. are going to get nominations (sorry to ruin the surprise), but beyond that's a mystery. We could have two nominees I suppose - that's technically a more or less accurate representation of the forum's opinion - but what's the fun in that? It's not like the other nominees that people guess-voted won't be worthy. Besides, the Academy does this all the time.

Ultimately, if you don't want to vote for things you haven't seen, you don't have to. People have done that. Good on you. Others haven't. Good on you. I think I'll give more weight to votes that are based on actual viewings. Is that fair?

That wouldn't work, because you'd have to ask everyone which films they've seen.

I think it would be much better if we had 2 nominees that actually represent what people on the forum like, rather than 5 nominees of which 3 are throw-ins. If you're filling out an Oscar prediction-ballot then it is different, especially if you're in a pool or something. But I thought this whole undertaking was about finding out what the Reelviews forum members' favorite movies of the year were.
Saying that it's okay because the Academy does it is a poor argument since that is one of the things that Academy members are most criticized for.

Next year if we do this again, I will fight to make it a rule that you have seen the films you are voting for. But for now, as I said, it is too late. Obviously, I will only be including films I have seen on my ballot.


Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:54 pm
Post Re: Voting Extension
Trevor wrote:
What is an informed choice though?
The only way to be informed is to have seen the movie!

"I'm voting for Precious for best picture, director, actress, best supporting actress because I've heard it's really good, it's critically acclaimed, and I heard it has a shot at these awards." - that would defeat the purpose of this entire undertaking!

not everyone has to vote for 5 nominees! just everyone combined has to vote for at least 5, so that as a whole we will have a complete ballot.


I actually agree with most of your points, but think you're overstating things a bit. In my case I did not vote for a movie because "I've heard it's really good, it's critically acclaimed, and I heard it has a shot at these awards" but rather because I thought I'd like it. Back to the Make Up example: my one unfilled slot went to the unseen Star Trek. I suppose I could have submitted 4 nominees, but to me that would have felt incomplete. So I went with Star Trek because I thought I'd like it, the makeup looked good in the trailer and, yes, because it was Oscar nominated. I could have gone with something like The Young Victoria which matches the same criteria that you put out but that didn't look like it would appeal to me. So, I don't think it was really wrong to vote in this category. I hear you on the Documentaries though. I just thought it would be sad if only a single ballot or two was submitted. Again, my few unseen movies were clearly marked, so if Pedro chooses to disregard or devalue them, then it's cool with me.


Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 pm
Post Re: Voting Extension
Update!

So I'm about halfway done with tallying all the votes so far. I'm surprised it's taking as long as it is. I'll post the results (hopefully) before midnight tonight PST.


Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:09 pm
Post Re: Voting Extension
Pedro wrote:
Update!

So I'm about halfway done with tallying all the votes so far. I'm surprised it's taking as long as it is. I'll post the results (hopefully) before midnight tonight PST.


Thanks for the hard work!


Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:28 pm
Post Re: Voting Extension
Trevor wrote:
Pedro wrote:
Update!

So I'm about halfway done with tallying all the votes so far. I'm surprised it's taking as long as it is. I'll post the results (hopefully) before midnight tonight PST.


Thanks for the hard work!


I'm happy to be a part of something! I'm not a moderator, so this is the closest I've been to contributing something valuable other than ridiculous posts about my love for Goodbye Solo and Grandma's Boy.

To tease the nominations a bit... well, this isn't much of a tease, but Inglourious Basterds got some votes.


Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:03 pm
Post Re: Voting Extension
Pedro wrote:
Trevor wrote:
Pedro wrote:
Update!

So I'm about halfway done with tallying all the votes so far. I'm surprised it's taking as long as it is. I'll post the results (hopefully) before midnight tonight PST.


Thanks for the hard work!


I'm happy to be a part of something! I'm not a moderator, so this is the closest I've been to contributing something valuable other than ridiculous posts about my love for Goodbye Solo and Grandma's Boy.

To tease the nominations a bit... well, this isn't much of a tease, but Inglourious Basterds got some votes.


Pedro for Moderator!

We can all make "Vote for Pedro" shirts!


Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:23 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr