Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:59 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
The Blide Side just got a Best Picture nomination 
Critic

Post Re: The Blide Side just got a Best Picture nomination
gkanchan wrote:
No offense, but I personally think you guys are reading WAAAYYYYYYYY TOO much into the film [/quote]

i agree...[/quote]

Not to be rude, but are you effing kidding me? This is a movie about race relations. We're discussing its view on race relations and whether or not it can be considered racist. We're not positing that it's a meta-feminist commentary on the first world war reflected through the prism of post-modernism. If you think we're reading too much into this, then frankly, you don't read enough into movies

Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:18 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
gkanchan wrote:
No offense, but I personally think you guys are reading WAAAYYYYYYYY TOO much into the film

i agree...[/quote]

Not to be rude, but are you effing kidding me? This is a movie about race relations. We're discussing its view on race relations and whether or not it can be considered racist. We're not positing that it's a meta-feminist commentary on the first world war reflected through the prism of post-modernism. If you think we're reading too much into this, then frankly, you don't read enough into movies[/quote]

This isn't so much a sport film, but a race film and the reaction of the family and communtiy when the family takes in Michael. I wonder why people are looking the other way on this film, but call Precious a sterotype on black people when it does a brilliant job giving evry character in the movie a face and humanity.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:15 pm
Profile YIM
Let's get these quotes right. I know it stems from the first botched quote, but c'mon, hit preview every once in a while. It's confusing trying to read 3 quotes that are all messed up and a new post.

I think Precious is blatantly racist and doesn't even try to hide that fact. It's almost as if there are so few accurate black films, that crap like Precious, which is nothing but stereotypes, is accepted as "real" or "authentic". Make a drama about regular black folks, not about oppressed blacks in the ghetto. That's manipulative, easy, and lazy writing. That said, The Wire is probably my favorite TV show ever and it's set almost exclusively in the ghetto. It does feel real. The writing is the best that a TV show could ever hope to achieve (and I don't consider that the slightest bit hyperbole). To me, Precious felt contrived.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:02 pm
Director

PeachyPete wrote:
Let's get these quotes right. I know it stems from the first botched quote, but c'mon, hit preview every once in a while. It's confusing trying to read 3 quotes that are all messed up and a new post.

I think Precious is blatantly racist and doesn't even try to hide that fact. It's almost as if there are so few accurate black films, that crap like Precious, which is nothing but stereotypes, is accepted as "real" or "authentic". Make a drama about regular black folks, not about oppressed blacks in the ghetto. That's manipulative, easy, and lazy writing. That said, The Wire is probably my favorite TV show ever and it's set almost exclusively in the ghetto. It does feel real. The writing is the best that a TV show could ever hope to achieve (and I don't consider that the slightest bit hyperbole). To me, Precious felt contrived.

You would call Precious racist if the family was white, why it is? The stuff in the film could still be sterotypes. The movie isn't racist or hateful at all. It goes thru all detalis and give a near perfect record of the girl's life. The Blind Side played it way too straight. Precious wants a better life for her and her kids, it's not her fault she's oppressed.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:21 pm
Profile YIM
Critic

The only misstep that Precious made was having her steal a bucket of fried chicken. That was just dumb writing if you don't want to appear to be stereotyping

Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:28 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
The only misstep that Precious made was having her steal a bucket of fried chicken. That was just dumb writing if you don't want to appear to be stereotyping

:roll: Please. She only stole the bucket of chicken to calm her nerves down with pressure falling down on her. Would it have made you feel better if she stole shrimp or an ice cream cone?

Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:34 pm
Profile YIM
corpen11 wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:

You would call Precious racist if the family was white, why it is? The stuff in the film could still be sterotypes. The movie isn't racist or hateful at all. It goes thru all detalis and give a near perfect record of the girl's life. The Blind Side played it way too straight. Precious wants a better life for her and her kids, it's not her fault she's oppressed.

If there was a stereotype that said white people were uneducated, unhealthy, borderline inhuman products of their living conditions, and a movie was made dealing with nothing but that, then yes, I'd call it racist. Since that is a stereotype that exists about blacks, then I call a film that uses those stereotypes to tell a story, and then attempts to pass that off as insightful, racist. They aren't real characters, they're 2 dimensional, walking, talking stereotypes, and I found the film not only terribly written, but offensive.

corpen11 wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

:roll: Please. She only stole the bucket of chicken to calm her nerves down with pressure falling down on her. Would it have made you feel better if she stole shrimp or an ice cream cone?

Seriously? That's no big deal? The main character literally steals a bucket of fried chicken, and were not supposed to see that as stereotyping? That's either a very misplaced joke (because the film certainly isn't intended to be comedic, at all), or its using stereotypes to tell the story. I personally can't take a movie seriously that does something like that.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:51 pm
Precious. Hmmm. My thoughts don't exactly mirror Pete's; I don't know if I'd call the movie out-and-out racist (although, beyond argument, the fried chicken scene is certainly a play toward stereotype no matter the character's situation) but I would call it out-and-out overwrought. That isn't always a bad thing (Magnolia, for example) but it made Precious a special kind of unpleasant.

What I'll say for Precious is this: unpleasant, hysterical and crazy as it was I still believed that it got closer to reality than The Blind Side. That's terrifying.

Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:55 am
I may be the only one who feels this way but at times The Blind Side felt like a tv movie to me. On top of all that I found the son of Sandra Bullock's character to be super annoying and the majority of the performances were weak. I know it's based on a true story and that stuff with the coaches coming to his his house is true etc but I think that they should never let coaches act under ANY circumstances. They were all terrible(obviously because they aren't actors). That took me out of the film. I cringed anytime a coach was on screen saying anything.
As far as Sandra Bullock goes,I think she did a decent job but she wasn't incredible. I would choose Carey Mulligan over Sandra...

Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:47 pm
Critic

floatingworld wrote:
I may be the only one who feels this way but at times

Oh no sir. You are not alone

Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:01 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
floatingworld wrote:
I may be the only one who feels this way but at times

Oh no sir. You are not alone

Haha I know I'm not alone in disliking it. I meant I may be alone in thinking that it feels like a tv movie at several points in the movie.

Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:12 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3