Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:12 pm




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
The Blide Side just got a Best Picture nomination 
Author Message
Post Re: The Blide Side just got a Best Picture nomination
Hey, remember when Crash was 'just a nomination'? Look what happened there....

Frankly, I don't mind The Blind Side getting a nomination. It's a good movie, of course not top 10 movie, but I'm just glad Invictus didn't get nominated.

However, the Academy had to choose between District 9 and Star Trek for its token action nomination and went with the weaker film. Well that sucked.


Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:41 pm
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6976
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: The Blide Side just got a Best Picture nomination
I agree with the racism points: as I've been saying in other places, this movie's version of race relations would have seemed dated in 1963. It neatly divides black people into drug addicts and borderline-retarded "simple giants" who need help from white people. I gave it 1.5 and hated every minute of it: it's the lowest rating I've ever given to a movie that got a BP nomination.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:37 pm
Profile
Post Re: The Blide Side just got a Best Picture nomination
When I first heard of The Blind Side I quickly pegged it as pseudo-racist trash and dismissed it. And yet this thread almost makes me want to see it. Surely these mixed reactions (Is it horrible and offensive, or just average and generic? Will we ever truly know!?) must speak of something interesting within the film itself! Surely!

Actually, even if I do see it it'll only be for Best Picture completionism, something which I have never actually strived for and only achieved once in 2007. Still, it's always fun to watch people (and by people I mean Kunzy) rage. Is Oscar screwing up really such a big deal anymore? Why all the pouting?


Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:55 am
Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:31 pm
Posts: 1142
Post Re: The Blide Side just got a Best Picture nomination
I still think the "it's racist" remarks are out of line. The movie is based on a true story, and I don't think it's message was "white people help black people", more so to help others around you in need. The movie does a great job making us sympathize for the lead character, and the movie itself shows how flawed the Tuohy family is, it doesn't paint them out to be saints by any stretch of the imagination. I enjoyed the movie, and found it to be inspirational as well as incredible since Michael Oher is now a starter for the Baltimore Ravens, which is just awesome.

Now, using the "racist" claims with a film such as say, Amistad, is completely understandable, but I still don't think directors try to show the superiority of the whites helping the poor black man. I still believe that the message conveyed, usually in most movies like this - anybody can change and make a difference, is genuine as well as uplifting. However, I can definitely see the "racist" point of view to a film such as Amistad, but I still don't agree with it, and I certainly don't agree that The Blind Side tried to show the great rich white family save the poor black man. More so that their spiritual routes and instincts told them what the right thing to do in that situation was, and they went for it. That's just what I believe, though.

With all this said, I still don't believe it should've been nominated for Best Picture, I think films like Moon, Star Trek, (500) Days of Summer, and Two Lovers were far better movies.

_________________
My blog: http://dunkindan89.blogspot.com/

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*


Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:05 am
Profile WWW
Director

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:44 pm
Posts: 1374
Post Re: The Blide Side just got a Best Picture nomination
Quote:
I gave it 1.5 and hated every minute of it: it's the lowest rating I've ever given to a movie that got a BP nomination.


worse than Crash, Around the World in 80 Days, Airport, Love Story, Doctor Dolittle, or Cleopatra?


Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:39 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6976
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: The Blide Side just got a Best Picture nomination
calvero wrote:
Quote:
I gave it 1.5 and hated every minute of it: it's the lowest rating I've ever given to a movie that got a BP nomination.


worse than Crash, Around the World in 80 Days, Airport, Love Story, Doctor Dolittle, or Cleopatra?


-Oh it's much worse than Crash. Crash had its manipulative moments, but it also had scenes of striking beauty (Matt Dillon and Thandie Newton in the burning car) and things worth defending, for me at least.
-Love Story is a fine film--you want a manipulative tearjerker with decent chemistry between the leads, you got one. Nothing special, and certainly not Best Picture worthy, but by no means terrible.
-Airport is fun. The Grand Hotel template in an airport, with cute little Helen Hayes and George Kennedy in the role he was born to play. Again, not really worthy of a nomination, but an enjoyable soap opera
-Doctor Doolittle came close (I gave it **) but it didn't offend me. It was bloated, ridiculous, overlong, etc., but reasonably well-meaning and harmless. The Blind Side, on the other hand, was out and out racist, with terrible performances by that stupid little shit of a kid and various college coaches, and offensively stupid (He scored a 98% in defensive instincts!). I haven't seen Around the World in 80 Days or all of Cleopatra, so right now The Blind Side takes the cake.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:49 pm
Profile
Post Re: The Blide Side just got a Best Picture nomination
DunkinDan89 wrote:
I still think the "it's racist" remarks are out of line. The movie is based on a true story, and I don't think it's message was "white people help black people", more so to help others around you in need. The movie does a great job making us sympathize for the lead character, and the movie itself shows how flawed the Tuohy family is, it doesn't paint them out to be saints by any stretch of the imagination. I enjoyed the movie, and found it to be inspirational as well as incredible since Michael Oher is now a starter for the Baltimore Ravens, which is just awesome.

Now, using the "racist" claims with a film such as say, Amistad, is completely understandable, but I still don't think directors try to show the superiority of the whites helping the poor black man. I still believe that the message conveyed, usually in most movies like this - anybody can change and make a difference, is genuine as well as uplifting. However, I can definitely see the "racist" point of view to a film such as Amistad, but I still don't agree with it, and I certainly don't agree that The Blind Side tried to show the great rich white family save the poor black man. More so that their spiritual routes and instincts told them what the right thing to do in that situation was, and they went for it. That's just what I believe, though.


Not sure I get your point here, Dan. I haven't seen The Blind Side, but you seem to be saying that because it's based on a true story it's not racist. That's fine. However, you condemn Amistad which is...also based on a true story.


Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:06 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:31 pm
Posts: 1142
Post Re: The Blide Side just got a Best Picture nomination
ed_metal_head wrote:
DunkinDan89 wrote:
I still think the "it's racist" remarks are out of line. The movie is based on a true story, and I don't think it's message was "white people help black people", more so to help others around you in need. The movie does a great job making us sympathize for the lead character, and the movie itself shows how flawed the Tuohy family is, it doesn't paint them out to be saints by any stretch of the imagination. I enjoyed the movie, and found it to be inspirational as well as incredible since Michael Oher is now a starter for the Baltimore Ravens, which is just awesome.

Now, using the "racist" claims with a film such as say, Amistad, is completely understandable, but I still don't think directors try to show the superiority of the whites helping the poor black man. I still believe that the message conveyed, usually in most movies like this - anybody can change and make a difference, is genuine as well as uplifting. However, I can definitely see the "racist" point of view to a film such as Amistad, but I still don't agree with it, and I certainly don't agree that The Blind Side tried to show the great rich white family save the poor black man. More so that their spiritual routes and instincts told them what the right thing to do in that situation was, and they went for it. That's just what I believe, though.


Not sure I get your point here, Dan. I haven't seen The Blind Side, but you seem to be saying that because it's based on a true story it's not racist. That's fine. However, you condemn Amistad which is...also based on a true story.


I'm not actually condemning Amistad, Ed, but rather saying that I can understand the racist claims that it got saddled with because of the nature of the story, since the topic of slavery is the main plot, and it takes a grand, epic speech from John Quincy Adams to help save the poor, wild Djimon Hounsou and his friends near the end of the story. However, that doesn't mean that I myself agree that it was trying to show the nice white guys help the poor black guys, just that I understand why some people would see it like that. With The Blind Side I felt the director was able to show more how the spiritual routes influenced how the Tuohy family made their decision to help Michael out. With Amistad it was more of a "this just isn't right" kind've thing that drove the McConaughey and Hopkins characters. I still liked both movies, all I'm saying is I understand more why Amistad got slammed by some people when it first came out, but I still don't agree with it.

_________________
My blog: http://dunkindan89.blogspot.com/

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*


Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:19 am
Profile WWW
Post Re: The Blide Side just got a Best Picture nomination
I haven't seen The Blind Side and I doubt I will. I'm just not that interested, although it may be a quality movie. However, I do find the debate on the film's racism, or lack thereof, interesting. I guess the question would be this:

If Bullock's family in the film had helped a white youth would that be as inspiring, and would the book still have been written/movie still have been made?

Obviously, there's no real proof either way, but I think it's a bit naive to claim the movie's racial element isn't part of it's appeal. Now, that's completely opinion, but I think the fact that it's a well-to-do white family helping a poor, struggling black kid is a large reason why it was so well-received by the masses. If you believe that's the case, it's hard not to agree with major in calling it gentle racism. It implies that blacks need help and whites can give it to them.

Here's the thing - the act itself, in real life, of helping this kid isn't racist. Now, the motivations of the family in real life could go beyond just helping another human and into the realm of racial motivation. There's no way to really tell. However, the borderline exploitative nature of the book and film is, to me, racist. The book and film are selling a story of race, just because it's a positive story doesn't mean they aren't preying on stereotypes. Sure, the story is swell and can be seen as a positive portrayal of people, but, to me, it screams, "Look at the white folks help this black guy! Feel good about that! He would never have made anything of himself without these white folks helping him along!" Maybe I'm just cynical.

Now, another question: Say the family was motivated partly because they wanted to feel good about helping a black kid out. Let's say it is gentle racism. How important is that if you consider that the kid probably wouldn't have made much out of his life without their help? Is it better for him to be illiterate and do nothing with his life, or is it better to take that helping hand, regardless of the motivation behind it?


Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:07 am
Post Re: The Blide Side just got a Best Picture nomination
What if it was a rich black family that saved a poor white trash kid.


Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:51 am
Director

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:28 pm
Posts: 1537
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Post Re: The Blide Side just got a Best Picture nomination
Colin wrote:
What if it was a rich black family that saved a poor white trash kid.


Then this conversation wouldn't have happened.


Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:59 pm
Profile YIM
Post Re: The Blide Side just got a Best Picture nomination
corpen11 wrote:
Colin wrote:
What if it was a rich black family that saved a poor white trash kid.


Then this conversation wouldn't have happened.


Because that movie would never get made. You can't sell a largely racist audience a story like that.


Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:41 pm
Director

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:28 pm
Posts: 1537
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Post Re: The Blide Side just got a Best Picture nomination
PeachyPete wrote:
corpen11 wrote:
Colin wrote:
What if it was a rich black family that saved a poor white trash kid.


Then this conversation wouldn't have happened.


Because that movie would never get made. You can't sell a largely racist audience a story like that.


:lol: I'm just imagining Tyler Perry making a film about that. Good luck trying to get a Best Picture nod.


Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:11 pm
Profile YIM
Post Re: The Blide Side just got a Best Picture nomination
Colin wrote:
What if it was a rich black family that saved a poor white trash kid.


That hypothetical movie would have just as much an agenda as The Blind Side.

There are always, in any given year, a few Honorable Agenda Projects. In 2005, Brokeback Mountain managed to be very good while pushing an obvious social agenda-- the nature of the story, by virtue of its being told, was to offer insight into a gay experience that offered equivalence with the experience of heterosexuals. In other words, it attempted to render meaningless the fact that it was two men by making the love between them sincere.

The Blind Side has an agenda as well. It seeks to make whites look saintly for helping a black man out. That's the unfortunate implication of the title: voluntarily dropping awareness of color in order to help a disadvantaged youth. But the fact remains that the youth is black, the awareness-droppers white. If the situation was reversed it would be just as gently racist and just as agendized.

You've got to ask "why are they telling this story?" and "why are they telling the story this way?" The Blind Side tells its story because it aims to have whites react with charity. That isn't entirely lacking honor but it is surely racist.

And so: rich blacks helping poor whites. What would it mean? That blacks should better serve whites? Would it be a satire meant to get whites to understand how the reverse isn't true enough? It's the obverse of the same racist coin.


Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:52 pm
Post Re: The Blide Side just got a Best Picture nomination
majoraphasia wrote:
Colin wrote:
What if it was a rich black family that saved a poor white trash kid.


That hypothetical movie would have just as much an agenda as The Blind Side.

There are always, in any given year, a few Honorable Agenda Projects. In 2005, Brokeback Mountain managed to be very good while pushing an obvious social agenda-- the nature of the story, by virtue of its being told, was to offer insight into a gay experience that offered equivalence with the experience of heterosexuals. In other words, it attempted to render meaningless the fact that it was two men by making the love between them sincere.

The Blind Side has an agenda as well. It seeks to make whites look saintly for helping a black man out. That's the unfortunate implication of the title: voluntarily dropping awareness of color in order to help a disadvantaged youth. But the fact remains that the youth is black, the awareness-droppers white. If the situation was reversed it would be just as gently racist and just as agendized.

You've got to ask "why are they telling this story?" and "why are they telling the story this way?" The Blind Side tells its story because it aims to have whites react with charity. That isn't entirely lacking honor but it is surely racist.

And so: rich blacks helping poor whites. What would it mean? That blacks should better serve whites? Would it be a satire meant to get whites to understand how the reverse isn't true enough? It's the obverse of the same racist coin.
No offense, but I personally think you guys are reading WAAAYYYYYYYY TOO much into the film :lol:


Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:02 pm
Post Re: The Blide Side just got a Best Picture nomination
majoraphasia wrote:
There are always, in any given year, a few Honorable Agenda Projects. In 2005, Brokeback Mountain managed to be very good while pushing an obvious social agenda-- the nature of the story, by virtue of its being told, was to offer insight into a gay experience that offered equivalence with the experience of heterosexuals. In other words, it attempted to render meaningless the fact that it was two men by making the love between them sincere.


I actually don't think Brokeback had much of an agenda at all. It's a classic (very well done) forbidden love story. I fail to see any agenda at all.

majoraphasia wrote:
The Blind Side has an agenda as well. It seeks to make whites look saintly for helping a black man out. That's the unfortunate implication of the title: voluntarily dropping awareness of color in order to help a disadvantaged youth. But the fact remains that the youth is black, the awareness-droppers white. If the situation was reversed it would be just as gently racist and just as agendized.


By that logic, it's impossible for a white person to help a black person (or vice versa) without being a racist. If that's what you think, well, there's no point in continuing the discussion.


Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:17 pm
Post Re: The Blide Side just got a Best Picture nomination
Shade wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
There are always, in any given year, a few Honorable Agenda Projects. In 2005, Brokeback Mountain managed to be very good while pushing an obvious social agenda-- the nature of the story, by virtue of its being told, was to offer insight into a gay experience that offered equivalence with the experience of heterosexuals. In other words, it attempted to render meaningless the fact that it was two men by making the love between them sincere.


I actually don't think Brokeback had much of an agenda at all. It's a classic (very well done) forbidden love story. I fail to see any agenda at all.

majoraphasia wrote:
The Blind Side has an agenda as well. It seeks to make whites look saintly for helping a black man out. That's the unfortunate implication of the title: voluntarily dropping awareness of color in order to help a disadvantaged youth. But the fact remains that the youth is black, the awareness-droppers white. If the situation was reversed it would be just as gently racist and just as agendized.


By that logic, it's impossible for a white person to help a black person (or vice versa) without being a racist. If that's what you think, well, there's no point in continuing the discussion.


Of course Brokeback Mountain had an agenda. It was a "forbidden love" story between two men in a time and place where that kind of forbidden love could get someone beaten to death. That things haven't changed all that much was a strong motivation for telling that story in that very specific way. It's an entirely honorable agenda but it has a purpose. The movie was meant to provoke a reaction and any claims otherwise ignore the challenge in telling a story about a truthful, albeit homosexual, relationship. Denying the movie power because of its subject matter would have been casting the roles as per convention, not by pointing out the worthy agenda.

Your final paragraph is really something. My point was that in the telling of The Blind Side, with its facile view of race, the film managed to force the point of race. How could it not? Taking the movie at face value would render its telling unnecessary. When a white helps a black it isn't racism, its humanity. When a movie is made about it the political agenda is writ large. Again, attempting to remove the obvious agenda is to ignore why the movie was made in the first place.


Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:42 pm
Director

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:28 pm
Posts: 1537
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Post Re: The Blide Side just got a Best Picture nomination
The Blind Side should have been about Michael Oher and the REAL challenges he had to go through to make it to the NFL. It switches gears and become the tale of a white family and their reaction to having a blck teenager in their home. That still could be a good movie, but it's played out as if they live in the mid 70s; the movie was set in 2004-2005.


Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:47 pm
Profile YIM
Post Re: The Blide Side just got a Best Picture nomination
majoraphasia wrote:
When a white helps a black it isn't racism, its humanity. When a movie is made about it the political agenda is writ large. Again, attempting to remove the obvious agenda is to ignore why the movie was made in the first place.


That's a BINGO!


Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:53 pm
Post Re: The Blide Side just got a Best Picture nomination
[/quote]No offense, but I personally think you guys are reading WAAAYYYYYYYY TOO much into the film :lol:[/quote]


i agree...


Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:41 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr