Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:13 pm

Top 10 Favorite Directors? 
Post Top 10 Favorite Directors?
Hey all... I think this would be a cool post to start. Here are my top 10
Hon. Mention
Orson Welles (Just watch Citizen Kane, he pioneered modern film making, and was a great actor)

10. Christopher Nolan (The next great director of the 21st century, I can't wait to see where he goes next)
9. Martin Scorcese (Gangs of New York is the only blemish for me on this guys record)
8. Werner Herzog (Watch any of his documentaries, 'nuff said)
7. Francis Ford Coppola (The Godfather)
6. James Cameron (A cinematic genius who has never made a poor film IMHO)
5. Joel and Ethan Coen (Who else can make a woodchipper iconic/)
4. Steven Spielberg (He knows entertainment!)
3. Stanley Kubrick (Astonishing attention to detail)
2. Akira Kurosawa (Epic)
1. Alfred Hitchcock (The Master of Suspense ;) )

Last edited by Raymong on Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:32 pm
Post Re: Top 10 Favorite Directors?
I imagine there will be a lot of repetition on these lists... Lots of mine are the same as yours, anyway :)
My list changes all the time though, even day to day, and I'll never get the order right. For now I only have eight... I know, I know, I need to catch up on the work of some major directors.

8. David Fincher
7. Quentin Tarantino
6. James Cameron
5. Richard Linklater
4. Stanley Kubrick
3. Werner Herzog
2. Steven Spielberg
1. The Coen Bros.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:45 pm
nice lists. like in Kimsey's case, my list changes from time to time, but I think for now this is it: (in no particular order)

- Tim Burton (for the visual quality he injects into his films)
- George Lucas (more for imagination and vision than for his directorial skills)
- Coen Bros.
- Alfonso Cuaron (made the best Harry Potter movie yet and also one of my favorite films of all time, Children of Men)
- Martin Scorsese
- Francis Ford Coppola
- Steven Spielberg (managed to turn even the badly-written Indy 4 into something really fun)
- David Fincher (Fight Club, Zodiac, Benjamin Button... all personal favorites)
- Christopher Nolan (made the best Batman films in history, the amazing Memento and the thrilling The Prestige.)

Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:58 pm
Favorite, not best (except with #1, who I actually think is the best.)

1. Stanley Kubrick
2. Akira Kurosawa
3. Alfred Hitchcock
4. Danny Boyle
5. The Coen Bros.
6. Sergio Leone
7. Errol Morris
8. David Lean
9. Woody Allen
10. Francis Ford Coppola

This is off the top of my head; probably missing a bunch I'd put on there.

Last edited by Ickibod on Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:00 pm
Well I really don't have a real ordered list but here's 10 directors that I do like

-David Fincher
-James Cameron
-Steven Spielberg
-Martin Scorcese
-Alex Proyas
-John Woo
-Ridley Scott
-Tony Scott
-Kevin Smith
-Quentin Taratino

Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:01 pm
Sebastian wrote:
nice lists. like in Kimsey's case, my list changes from time to time, but I think for now this is it: (in no particular order)

- Tim Burton (for the visual quality he injects into his films)
- George Lucas (more for imagination and vision than for his directorial skills)
- Coen Bros.
- Alfonso Cuaron (made the best Harry Potter movie yet and also one of my favorite films of all time, Children of Men)
- Martin Scorsese
- Francis Ford Coppola
- Steven Spielberg (managed to turn even the badly-written Indy 4 into something really fun)
- David Fincher (Fight Club, Zodiac, Benjamin Button... all personal favorites)
- Christopher Nolan (made the best Batman films in history, the amazing Memento and the thrilling The Prestige.)

Great List. I do love David Fincher! I was little disappointed with Benjamin Button, but I feel it was more the fault of the Screenplay than the director's. Don't get me wrong, I loved the movie, but felt that it could have been a little better in pacing.

I think that Yates did the best job of the Harry Potter films, but I still like Azkaban quite a bit!

Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:04 pm
Raymong wrote:
I think that Yates did the best job of the Harry Potter films, but I still like Azkaban quite a bit!

Yeah, well, no one can do worse than Christopher Columbus, that's for sure. His Harry Potter films are definitely TOO dependent on the books. Now THAT'S a guy I would never put in a top 10 list, hehe.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:10 pm
1. Federico Fellini
2. Sergio Leone
3. Alfred Hitchcock
4. Sergei Eisenstein
5. Stanley Kubrick
6. Terrence Malick
7. Jean Renoir
8. Andrei Tarkovsky
9. Jean-Luc Godard
10. Akira Kurosawa
11. Krzysztof Kieslowski
12. Robert Altman
13. Hayao Miyazaki
14. David Lynch
15. Ingmar Bergman

Orson Welles
Mike Nichols
Billy Wilder
Francis Ford Coppola
Ridley Scott

Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:46 pm
My top ten, plus my favorite film directed by them:

1. Martin Scorsese (Taxi Driver)
2. David Lynch (Mulholland Dr.)
3. Clint Eastwood (Unforgiven)
4. Darren Aronofsky (Requiem for a Dream)
5. Atom Egoyan (The Sweet Hereafter)
6. Akira Kurosawa (The Seven Samurai)
7. Joel and Ethan Coen (The Big Lebowski)
8. Wes Anderson (Rushmore)
9. Christopher Nolan (The Dark Knight)
10. Steven Spielberg (Munich)

Honorable Mention:
Alex Proyas (The Crow)
David Fincher (Zodiac)
Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth)

Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:28 pm
I'm not sure I'm qualified enough to make a list, so here's ten directors with my favorite film by them.

Nolan (Memento)
Kubrick (2001: A Space Odyssey)
Welles (Citizen Kane)
Fellini (La Strada)
Kurosawa (The Seven Samurai)
Kieslowski (The Decalogue)
Spielberg (Jaws)
Scorsese (Taxi Driver)
Bergman (Scenes From a Marriage)
Smith (Chasing Amy)
Honorable mentions: Tarantino (Pulp Fiction), Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire), Fincher (Fight Club), Joel and Ethan Coen (No Country For Old Men), Chaplin (City Lights), Allen (Annie Hall), Zhang (Raise the Red Lantern), Miyazaki (Spirited Away), Altman (Short Cuts), Leone (Once Upon a Time in America), and Truffaut (The 400 Blows).

The odd man out here is Kevin Smith, but I'm drawn to his comedy for some reason. I'm a bigger fan than I should be and I recognize that. I guess it boils down to the fat man makes me laugh.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:36 pm
1. Alfred Hitchcock
2. Stanley Kubrick
3. Martin Scorsese
4. Akira Kurosawa
5. Orson Welles
6. Steven Spielberg
7. Billy Wilder
8. Francis Ford Coppola
9. Federico Fellini
10. Peter Jackson

Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:42 pm
Well my list is filled with modern-day directors, since I haven't seen enough classic cinema to be able to put a name on here like Welles or Leone.
Their best film is in parentheses.

1. Peter Jackson (The Lord of the Rings)
2. M. Night Shyamalan (Lady in the Water)
3. Ang Lee (HULK)
4. Tim Burton (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)
5. Steven Spielberg (A.I)
6. Darren Arronofsky (Requiem for a Dream)
7. Yimou Zhang (Riding Alone for Thousands of Miles)
8. Clint Eastwood (Letters from Iwo Jima)
9. Paul Thomas Anderson (Magnolia)
10. Vadim Perelman (House of Sand and Fog)

Other ones I like: Tarantino, Scorsese, Polanski, Lang, Stone, Wright, Mangold, Malik, Salles

Last edited by Shelobfan on Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:33 pm
I forgot all about Paul Thomas Anderson. I'm a really big fan of Magnolia, so I'd probably put him in my honorable mentions list. I also forgot about Billy Wilder, who should probably be in my top ten somewhere. I would kick Bergman out for him, though I recently did a research paper on Bergman so I've kind of fallen in love with his filmmaking style.

I have a lot of respect for Peter Jackson, despite my non-interest in the Lord of the Rings series. He's a visionary of sorts, and I give him credit for creating the LOTR trilogy the way he wanted. I'd probably put Aronofsky in my honorable mentions, too. Requiem For a Dream is great and The Wrestler is really good, but I'm really lukewarm concerning The Fountain. I haven't seen Pi.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:41 pm
Pedro wrote:
I forgot all about Paul Thomas Anderson. I'm a really big fan of Magnolia, so I'd probably put him in my honorable mentions list. I also forgot about Billy Wilder, who should probably be in my top ten somewhere. I would kick Bergman out for him, though I recently did a research paper on Bergman so I've kind of fallen in love with his filmmaking style.

I have a lot of respect for Peter Jackson, despite my non-interest in the Lord of the Rings series. He's a visionary of sorts, and I give him credit for creating the LOTR trilogy the way he wanted. I'd probably put Aronofsky in my honorable mentions, too. Requiem For a Dream is great and The Wrestler is really good, but I'm really lukewarm concerning The Fountain. I haven't seen Pi.

Arronofsky's The Fountain is his weakest film, but it is admittedly still very good. What i love about Arronofsky is how consistent he is at downbeat cinema. His films are some of the most depressing around, but it is their power to sadden me that I really appreciate.

I also forget some names - Terrence Malik and Walter Salles - adding them now

Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:54 pm
In no order

Hitchcock, Wilder, Kubrick, Scorsese, Welles, Ozu, Lean, Herzog, Wood, Huston

Only two living :-(

Rob

Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:56 pm
May sound a bit lame after reading the lists made above with some bona-fide film legends, but have a soft spot for Michael Mann.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:04 pm
Michael Mann's a great director, sir. He knows how to shoot an action sequence and make his actors come off as convincing rather than cardboard. I'm really looking forward to Public Enemies.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:09 pm
Pedro wrote:
Michael Mann's a great director, sir. He knows how to shoot an action sequence and make his actors come off as convincing rather than cardboard. I'm really looking forward to Public Enemies.

Same here.
Probably my 2nd most anticipated movie after Watchmen.

Heat is one of my all-time favs.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:10 pm
Michael Mann doesn't do it for me. Besides half of Last of the Mohicans, Collateral and Manhunter Mann's films are horrible borefests. I hate Heat, I hate Ali and I can barely tolerate The Insider. And the sad thing is that most everything about his films are top-notch: the acting, the look, the action but he just can't entertain me.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:37 pm
Patrick wrote:
Michael Mann doesn't do it for me. Besides half of Last of the Mohicans, Collateral and Manhunter Mann's films are horrible borefests. I hate Heat, I hate Ali and I can barely tolerate The Insider. And the sad thing is that most everything about his films are top-notch: the acting, the look, the action but he just can't entertain me.

Wasn't crash hot about Ali, but The Insider, Heat and Miami Vice are all superb, IMHO, and Collateral is quality as well.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:40 am